My first Race Report - Detroit Free Press Half Marathon --WARNING - 'tis long! (Read 572 times)

Think Whirled Peas

Sorry she's a long one, but here goes: I remember thinking as I woke up, “It sure feels like a good day to be racing”. The first look out the hotel window though, brought nothing but feelings of trepidation as I watched the wind knocking a lonely and meager city tree about. The wind, as it turned out, was not nearly as bad as I thought and the temperature was great for this, my first attempt at a half marathon. After all the race morning necessities were attended to, I and my two friends left the hotel room and literally walked out the entrance into the starting corrals. Ok, to be fair, it was probable two blocks to the start, but it was still nice knowing that we were two minutes from the start (and finish, amen!). The disconcertment for me began when my friend Josh lined up at his corral and I had to go another five corrals back to get to mine. MC, my other friend was two more behind me. I started to wonder how long it would take me to get out in the open and run at my pace being so far back. It would be a while. Standing in the corral at 6:45am for a 7:15am start I realized that I was going to need to hit the restroom before we took off. Glancing over to the lines waiting though I knew I was just going to have to stick it out, er, tough it out for a bit. The rest of this race report I can only recall in bits and pieces, so I apologize: The air temp was great for running but the wind had a bit of a bite. The nerves were getting amped up. People everywhere. My excitement grows. I can’t believe I’m doing this! Teary eyed start, and alone amongst so many people. I’m so happy! Five minutes pass before I hit the start line. Getting a little worried about being able to START RUNNING. So slow. Everyone says that’s good, go with it. Finally begin to start running. There’s old Tiger Stadium, and damn it, I miss her. Plenty of time to look at her, the pace is so slow. Running next to competitive walker for almost a mile, 2 hours is going to be tough. Corktown is beautiful, I had no idea. Miles two and three go unnoticed, but feel exceptionally slow. I see the Ambassador Bridge ahead, and for the first time see the whole throng of people in front of me. The sun is rising and the view of the bridge, the water and the people; simply spectacular. The image seeps into that little place where you store memories forever. I won’t ever forget this day. Worried about running over the bridge, the incline. Trained for it, practiced hills at 3 and 4 miles to prepare for this. It was nothing. Not even the wind made much difference. Still feel slow. 4 mile mark – 41 minutes and change. OH NO. Reality sets in. Quick math says “thou shall run at 8:30 m/m to finish in 2 hrs, henceforth”. Body says “BULLSH%T, thou shall”. Stop for the restroom, um, tree. MUCH JOY. Faster now, please lord, faster. Pace quickens. Look good for our Canadian friends! Beautiful run on this side. Weather is great, people are awesome. I feel like I could do this all day. Running fast now, feels good. I think about wife and kids, my parents too. I hope they make it in time, and without trouble. I say a little thank you prayer for them. They are the reason I’m running. I know that I love them. I hit the entrance to the tunnel (7.4 miles) at 1:09:44 and feeling better about my chances. FAST down the tunnel, SLOW and HOT coming out. Much whooping and hollering from runners. I laugh. This is FUN. Back into the open air. Cool breeze, straight in the face. Lovely. Meet a guy running his first HM too. Trying for 2hrs. too. He has a Garmin. He’s my new BFF!!! “What pace?”, says me after 9th mile rolls by. “8:43 m/m” replies my Garmin clad friend. It sets in, not today then, for the legs can go no faster. My new bff drops back, he can’t hold the pace. Mile 10 comes and goes, 1:34 something, the mind is numbing. The still functioning part calculates a sub-25 minute 5k will bring it home. The heart is willing, the legs are weak. HTFU runs through my head for the first, but hardly last, time today. Mile 11 goes by, don’t remember time, the HTFU part of brain says GO. YOU WILL MAKE IT. Sane part of brain just laughs. Mile 12, Tiger Stadium again. Can’t remember one thing I like about it. I hate Detroit. I hate running. Someone put a bullet in me. I want to die. FINALLY, I see the turn that takes us back up Washington, which I calculate to be the finish line. I am wrong. I hear “Four more blocks! You can make it!” from a helpful person cheering us on. I look down, 1:58:45. Disappointment, yes, but SO HAPPY for the end is near. Final turn. So many people! Cheering. Bells. And for one brief second, I hear him. My dad. With so much going on around me, his voice is one that harkens back to the days on the ball field, and the basketball court, for all those “growing up” years. When noise is noise, it is the voice of a father that cuts through it all. It lets me push the last bit of life left to my legs, to my heart. I pour everything I have into the finish. It isn’t much. But it is everything. His words carried me home. Thanks Dad, I love you too. When I am done, I am done. I careen off people walking by, apologizing. My legs move of their own accord. I don’t own them. So tired. Don’t sit. Not yet, for I won’t get back up. Hurting, sore, completely sapped. I see Josh, and he’s happy, and smiling and tells me how great I did. His joy spreads over to me, and I smile. Then I laugh out loud. And HARD. It starts to sink in. I DID IT! I finished. 2:02:28. I missed the goal, but not the point. I learned a lot today about how to prepare for a race, what to expect from a race, and how to execute a race plan. But I learned much more about myself than I ever thought I would. For it was on this day, I became a runner.

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

va

PoQ, Congrats on your first half!!! That's a great finish time, and you have a lot to be happy about. That was a special report too, thanks for sharing it.
      mikeymike

Really nice report. Nice run too! Sounds like you're bitten by the bug. Congrats.

Runners run

Now that was a bath...

Beautiful report running friend! What an achievement, your time is great and now you have a PR to beat when you get out there again! Claire xxx
        • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
        • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
            Corktown is beautiful, I had no idea. Miles two and three go unnoticed, but feel exceptionally slow. I see the Ambassador Bridge ahead, and for the first time see the whole throng of people in front of me. The sun is rising and the view of the bridge, the water and the people; simply spectacular. The image seeps into that little place where you store memories forever. I won’t ever forget this day.
            Great stuff
            HTFU part of brain says GO. YOU WILL MAKE IT. Sane part of brain just laughs. Mile 12, Tiger Stadium again. Can’t remember one thing I like about it. I hate Detroit. I hate running. Someone put a bullet in me. I want to die.
            There's absolutely nothing quite like a good love/hate relationship. Smile
            Final turn. So many people! Cheering. Bells. And for one brief second, I hear him. My dad. With so much going on around me, his voice is one that harkens back to the days on the ball field, and the basketball court, for all those “growing up” years. When noise is noise, it is the voice of a father that cuts through it all. It lets me push the last bit of life left to my legs, to my heart. I pour everything I have into the finish. It isn’t much. But it is everything. His words carried me home.
            Even greaterer than the earlier great stuff. Well done POQ, congrats!

E.J.
            Greater Lowell Road Runners
            Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Lazy idiot

Mike, congratulations on your first half! You perfectly capture the change in attitude that can happen on a long run like this. Sounds like you had an awesome experience, and you'll be back for another. Big grin

Tick tock

Marathonmanleto

Great report Mike. It gets easier--don't worry. It's only when you think that you figured it out that it smacks you upside da head.
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Mike, that is an awesome race report--aren't HMs great?! I know your next will be under 2 hours--you are SO close! Smile Hey, you up for the GR Marathon next year?! Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Marathonmanleto

Kirsten--are you running GR this weekend?
                    bas

"For it was on this day, I became a runner." What moving report, and what a great race! bas

52° 21' North, 4° 52' East

Great report!

madness baby

Excellent report. So wonderful for you!!! Big grin
                          deb

Me and my gang in Breck

Congratulations Mike!!! The skies the limit for you.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger. Neitzsche "Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go." "Dedication and commitment are what transfer dreams into reality."

Another Passion

Cry Dude... that was awesome! Congratulations on a GREAT first HM race and an even better race report! So, you just keep making them as long as you want... just keep making them! Revel in your success my friend! You did well!

Rick
                              "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                              "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                              runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Think Whirled Peas

Thanks everyone! I had a lot of fun w/the race and I was only a "little" dissappointed w/not finishing under 2 hrs. I learned a TON about what to do differently for next time too, not the least of which is to make sure I put in a better estimated finishing time so I can get w/people running at the pace I need! Looking at my splits from the race, I ran an 8:16 m/m pace in the 8-9th mile, which is listed as the "under water mile" because it is run in the tunnel between the US and Canada. I knew I was pushing really hard to try to make up time, I just couldn't hold that pace. Ah well, lesson learned. UP NEXT: The INDY mini-Marathon. May 3, 2008. You get to run one lap on the fabled track at Indianapolis Speedway. I'm not a racing guy, but I think that'd be pretty cool.

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>