Sore calf (Read 78 times)

andyashton

I'm about 2/3 of the way through training for the NYC marathon (Nov. 2).  I was feeling good after a 16 mile long run on Sunday, did some strength training (squats, planks, etc.) on Monday, and then went out for an 8 mile run on Tuesday morning.  It was hot and 97% humidity, and I felt awful right off the bat.  My legs felt weak, and in general I felt like I had no fuel in the tank.

After completing my run, I found that the inside of my right calf, about 4 inches above my ankle bone, felt pretty sore when I put weight on it, and particularly when I roll my foot side to side.  I have spent the past two days icing it, and it is getting a bit better, but I'm concerned about getting sidelined at this stage in training.  Anyone have experience with this kind of soreness?

I'm planning to test it out on a run tomorrow morning if it continues to feel better.

an amazing likeness

Sounds like tendonitis issues starting to flare -- based on the pain coming from the motion you describe. Often these calf / achilles issues arise from adding hill training or more mileage.  Ice, ice and rest it.  Avoid running hills.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.