Geocoding service (Read 142 times)

Hi all,

Last night., I was informed that the search running routes by location function was broken. When you enter a location, it needs to be converted into a latitude/longitude pair so that the software would know where to look for maps.  Ever since this feature was added some 5 to 7 years ago, the conversion (geocoding) was provided by Yahoo, for free.

It turned out that Yahoo had discontinued their free geocoding service several days ago.  Their new service charges $6 per 1,000 location look ups.  They changed the format of the data so I had to rewrite the processing code.  Since I had to rewrite no matter what, I switched to use Google's geocoding service, which is free and might even work a little better.

The geocoding service outage also affected your calendar widget.  If you added a calendar widget in the last several days, it probably did not find a weather station so you should give it a try again.  The new geocoding code hasn't been well tested, but I figure it can't be any worse than not working at all.  As always, let me know if you encounter any problems.  Thanks!

eric Smile

The Monkey Games

Now THAT is service!!

sunkid

And here I thought it was just me... Thanks Eric!