1st race (Read 718 times)

JayMF

I ran my first ever race yesterday. It was a local 10K, and I made a last minute decision to run it. I guess it was small, but since the 5K walk, 5K run, and 10K race all started at the same time and place, it felt like an awful lot of people were starting at the same time. Maybe 2-3 hundred people? I can't imagine what a big city race must be like. But the race was really cool and I ended up with what felt like a decent time. The Garmin had me finishing in 49:17, but I don't know the official time. I was so focussed on getting to the finish line that I never saw the race clock until several minutes after I was done. Since it was my first race, I don't think I did a great job of pacing. I held back a bit until the last 1.2 miles when I picked up my pace. If I had gone out harder sooner I might have had a better time. I was running faster than I do in my normal runs, so I really didn't know how much faster I could maintain for 6 miles. In any case, I wanted to get under 50 minutes and I accomplished that, so I'm happy. I enjoyed the race enough that I'm strongly considering entering a HM at the end of November. I also need to figure out when the best time to make that last bathroom stop before the race. The lines for the port-a-potties were kind of long and I was getting pretty nervous that I wouldn't be able to take care of business before the race.
    TJoseph

Great job! If you run more races, you will get better at pacing yourself and it doesn't sound like you did badly if you made your goal. You don't have to look for the clock. They should post your time on a sheet of paper after the race. I usually stick around after the race and get my official time. These days most races will post results on a webpage also, so you may still be able to get your official time.
      chuckstone

Good job! You did great in running a reasonable pace, especially for a first race when starting too fast is likely. And you met your goal; that is fun too. Having a nice experience in the first race (or any of them) makes it all the more fun. And makes signing up for another race seems easier. You probably learned a lot that will help in your future races. Way to go.
        JayMF

Thanks! They did post the results after the race, but there were no times, only finishing order. I think I finished in about the middle of the pack (58 out of 118) and came in 5th in my age group. But later on they posted updated results that showed a 45th place finish. So I'm confused all the way around. They will post the results online, so I'll get the real scoop there.
          redleaf

Congrats on your race!

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

if you averaged about 17-18 miles a week for the past couple months and can run under 50 minutes in a 10k I'd say you did pretty well, especially when you say first race. You may have to amp up the miles for the 1/2 Marathon though. If you add 10% a week you may be able to get into the 30's.

Another Passion

Congrats! I went out kinda hard in my first 10K last Thanksgiving and paid dearly at the end because the course was insanely hilly (on and around the University of Richmond campus in Virginia) and I am a flatlander where I live. It killed me! Dead

Rick
                "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Ringmaster

Decent time? 49:17 in your first 10k? I'll say that's decent! Big grin Congratulations! That's fantastic! I hope you feel the many pats on the back and yes--absolutely train for a half. The pacing and endurance are a little different, but the rewards are increased! It's a great distance, and you'll do great at it.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                  Mile by Mile

That's a great time for a first 10K, congratulations! Smile

Michelle

Wow - that's great for your first race! Congrats, and good luck with the half!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                      Thyroid Support Group