Slow night (Read 208 times)

joescott

Why have I had only 3 kids come to the door trick or treating so far, thus sending me to RA to respond to threads about nipple chafing?  I'm not that creepy old guy.  I'm the fun dad, man....

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Feeling the growl again

Here it's because it's 34F with 25mph driving a rain/snow mix.  So I'm carb-loading on spare candy prior to a marathon in similar weather come AM.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Here it's because it's 34F with 25mph driving a rain/snow mix.  So I'm carb-loading on spare candy prior to a marathon in similar weather come AM.

Back when we were kids we ran 26 miles to school every day, barefoot.

Tried the carb loading line with DW just now. She didn't buy it.

Good luck tomorrow.

Are you running Indy again?  If so, good luck!

I'd love to be there too, but decided to run the Naperville marathon instead, which is a week from Sunday.

keeponrunning

39 kids here.  I got a 7km run in as well, but somehow that doesn't counteract the amount of junk I've eaten today.

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

Had maybe a 100 kids and was running low on my candy, panicking a little as I was alone if I needed to go buy more, there wouldn't be anyone home to answer the bell.  A Hailstorm came to my rescue.  Everyone in our neighborhood just got through replacing their roofs from the summer storm, Hope this hail was not as bad, didn't look like it.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Good luck spaniel.  I feel for you.  Extreme cold -- Ack!

Sadly, no kids here.  Our houses are too far apart and not many kids in the neighbor hood anyway.

steph  

joescott

Yeah, spaniel, let us know how it turns out.

- Joe

Feeling the growl again

10 miles in 59:50 then DNF as my pace was rapidly going from 5:50 to 6:15.  Not sure what happened, either cold/wind, GI, or just generally f'd up today. Never felt so awful so early.

Ah well.  Now I can start training for Boston already on Monday.  Smile

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

joescott

Sorry to see a bad result.  Sometimes it's hard to say why things go into the ditch, but I agree that when you are starting to decline after only 10 miles, it's either going to be a long morning, or else the rip cord should be pulled.  Sounds like you made the better call.

- Joe

Up hill both ways in a Blizzard no less.

Back when we were kids we ran 26 miles to school every day, barefoot.

Tried the carb loading line with DW just now. She didn't buy it.

Good luck tomorrow.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

xhristopher

Save the candy for the marathon! I had a snickers 'bite' each mile to the half on my last one. It was the first time I ever enjoyed eating in a marathon.

joescott

Save the candy for the marathon! I had a snickers 'bite' each mile to the half on my last one. It was the first time I ever enjoyed eating in a marathon.

Did you really do this, Xhris?  Did it upset your tum at all?  What did you do after the 1/2 point?

- Joe

xhristopher

Did you really do this, Xhris?  Did it upset your tum at all?  What did you do after the 1/2 point?

Sure did. Even had some before the start. No stomach issues at all. After I ran out of Snickers I had a GU at 15 and 20. I chased it all back with H20. Simple as that.

Here's the thing. One of the clubs I run with organizes long runs on Sundays and I always munch on the Snickers and Reeces they offer during those runs. I've often joked that I need to fuel in the race like I fuel during training so I finally put my actions where my mouth was. No melting issues in sub 50 temps. It was awesome.

While we're on the topic of weird things I eat before marathons to racing... I had a half cup pickle juice the day before and a couple IPAs with dinner. This also has served me well. I must admit I didn't eat at TGIFridays tho. Dinner was prepared at home and very sensible.

joescott

I am intrigued.  I think I might try your mini candy bar approach during my LR this weekend to see how it goes.  I gave up on goo/gel years ago as nasty and upsetting to my stomach, and I have since always just relied on the sports drink to get in the calories.  But to do that I've had to make sure to down enough sports drink, and in a cool marathon that can get a little overmuch liquid-wise by the time one gets to 20 and beyond.  Not to mention by that point I never want to ever see Gatorade again and I'm sticky in many places.  Thanks for the tip!

BTW, I hear you on the pickle juice.  Must be electrolytes or something, because I sometimes really crave that stuff during marathon training.  Wife thinks I'm super weird drinking that and tablespoon fulls of Robusto Italian dressing.

- Joe