Will I gain muscle mass through running? (Read 755 times)

I am a pretty skinny guy who just started up running again after some time off. I am 6' and only 143 pounds, and I'd like to be closer to 150 pounds. Do you think that running along with sit-ups and push-ups could help me reach this goal?
    2010 Goals: Run 1500 miles Sub 22 minute 5K Sub 37 minute 8K Sub 1:45 HM Complete a marathon
      It seems that running does not add much muscle mass. Look at the Kenyans! It will strengthen connective tissues and has many other positive benefits, but it will not bulk you up. Resistance training is probably the best way to achieve an increase in muscle mass.
      Teresadfp

One day at a time

The only muscles I've noticed getting bigger are my calves. My ski boots almost didn't fit this winter!
          No. Running will tone your quads and calf muscles and not much else. If you want to build bulk you'll need to do some weight training. Tom
          progman2000

No. Running will tone your quads and calf muscles and not much else. If you want to build bulk you'll need to do some weight training. Tom
            Agree - weight training will help put on the mass, not running Smile