Snow Blows…aka "why I've done the vast majority of '14s runs on the dreadmill" (Read 337 times)

an amazing likeness

I have the same model Cat backhoe / loader, and the boom reach is about 16' -- so that would make this snowbank about 14' tall or so.

This one is impressive, too:

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

And this exactly why I moved from Rhode Island to San Diego.

Earlier this week I was on Zillow looking at homes in New Mexico.  I think I'd really like it there… Tongue

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I have the same model Cat backhoe / loader, and the boom reach is about 16' -- so that would make this snowbank about 14' tall or so.

That sounds about right.  Nearly 3x my height! 

~ Sarah Kay

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Ha, I think I'd actually prefer a gym treadmill with maybe semi-accurate calibration and a deck wider than 18"--paranoid that I'm gonna run a bit too far to either side and introduce my face to the concrete basement floor.  Ours was a freebie and only reads in MPH…and is at least 1.5mph off, at that.  I sorta have to guesstimate how fast I'm going by feel (and am probably way off, since feel on the treadmill always feels like I'm sprinting-all out and time stands still).  I recently picked-up a Garmin foot pod, but I need to run outside to calibrate the blasted thing…and, well… Tongue

It only has to be masking tape width, right? 

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

That's insane.  I don't own a treadmill or have access to one so I don't have a choice but to run outside.  That being said, what I have dealt with this winter is NOTHING like what you have going on there.  I couldn't do it either if I were you.

May Spring arrive early this year!! (Wishful thinking)

Leah, mother of dogs

Feeling the growl again

Muskegon, MI - 63 inches of snow

Keewenaw, Upper Penninsula (Calumet?) - 226.5 inches of snow

Now that the lakes are freezing over more than in 20 years it's starting to taper off.

Which enables drunk frat pledges to build stuff like this:

Yup, those ice chain links are actually interlocked...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Muskegon, MI - 63 inches of snow

Keewenaw, Upper Penninsula (Calumet?) - 226.5 inches of snow

Now that the lakes are freezing over more than in 20 years it's starting to taper off.

Tapering-off, my ass -- my kid has only had one day of school this week…today.  And we're not in the deep South whinging over an inch or two. Tongue  Not sure where they're drawing the Muskegon stat up there, but the #s being reported in the past 24 hours are showing nearly 3' more than that for the season as of today.  We're about midway between Holland and Muskegon.  Perhaps we've had 63" this month…?

Those ice/snow sculptures are cool.  I'd rather look at them than be outside making anything like that, though…brrr!!

~ Sarah Kay

Feeling the growl again

Tapering-off, my ass 

My comment referred to superior which is, in fact, beginning to ice over, especially the western half which generates lake effect for much of da UP:

Keewenaw snowfall in January was significantly less than December.

As one would expect, the farthest southern extent of the lakes...between Chicago and Grand Haven/Muskegon...is not as frozen and can still generate lake effect bands, as can clearly be seen forming here:

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah, I think they've said we're at 45% frozen over on Lake MI.  Though I swear someone on the radio said something to the effect of closer to 60% if we continue to be so cold for another week.  That is insane!!  And they're predicting 5-10" snow Sat.  We're just not getting any breaks.

~ Sarah Kay

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

22 runs in January, and only 6 were outside.  I bitch about our snow and these cold temps over here on the East Coast, but I feel for all of you in MI.  Hope you get some relief soon.

Latent Runner

And this exactly why I moved from Rhode Island to San Diego.

Too funny, I grew up in Michigan, moved to San Diego (college and Marines), couldn't wait to get the heck out of SoCal, and now I live in New Hampshire.  Smile

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
                        • 2-mile: 13:49
                        • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
                        • 5-Mile: 37:24
                        • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
                        • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
                        • Half Marathon: 1:42:13

Latent Runner

22 runs in January, and only 6 were outside.  I bitch about our snow and these cold temps over here on the East Coast, but I feel for all of you in MI.  Hope you get some relief soon.

My tally is 25 outside runs in January with 1 more day to go; I plan on finishing off the month with a nice 10-miler on one of our local snowmobile trails.  Smile

Of course here in New Hampshire we aren't getting anywhere near the quantity of snow the lake affect areas of Michigan are getting nailed with.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
                          • 2-mile: 13:49
                          • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
                          • 5-Mile: 37:24
                          • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
                          • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
                          • Half Marathon: 1:42:13

delicate flower

Snow ain't all bad.  This was me yesterday.

<3

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ooh, useful snow!!

~ Sarah Kay

My family and I just moved to MI (Grand Rapids) from Colorado last summer. I gotta say, its been a tough initiation! (I grew up in Michigan, so I was a TINY bit prepared.)

Somehow, Ive managed every run this year (20) outdoors in this crap. Even a few trail runs. Hopefully all the running through snow and with spikes will benefit when I can finally run on something dry! Sad to say, a frozen and snowy beard is becoming a daily norm for me.

When is spring?