Looking to buy a Hydration belt any recommendations (Read 959 times)

Life is Good

I am looking to buy a Hydration belt for my husband, we are both avid runners, but recently we have been training for a half marathon and possibly a full marathon by spring, his birthday request was a Hydration belt, since I have never used one I have no clue what is good... I do know he really only wants a one bottle type that is not too bulky... any recommendations? I have been looking at nike and Amphipod, is one better than the other?

Run 1000 miles

bike 500 miles

finish a half Ironman triathlon

Warrior dash 2012

Chickamauga battlefield half 2012

and a few small races in between

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I LOVE my Amphipod belt. The nice thing is that one can add additional smaller bottles if they need more fluids or want to have both water and sport drink. I have a full-tilt belt and whatever the next smaller one is with the stretchy pocket. I like the stretchy one, since it holds my inhaler, keys and phone snuggly, so that they aren't whacking around and driving me nuts with the constant noise for hours on end.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Bottles can fall off of the add-on holders for the amphipod (it's annoying, one fell off this morning on my run -- but it is a LOT more annoying when I'm wearing it on bike and one falls off) -- dunno about the built-in ones. The FuelBelt ones are supported below so they can't fall off. I also like the big pocket of the amphipod -- but the real reason I went with amphipod was because I wanted a buckle closure not velcro.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Bottles can fall off of the add-on holders for the amphipod (it's annoying, one fell off this morning on my run
          Yeah, it IS annoying. It's kind of tricky to get them to stay. I really have to squeeze them to get them to click.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I have a FlashFlo and havent used it since last year. I thought I was going to need a lot of water after finally going more than 5miles, but I have learned that i dont need that much. And unfortunately, I havent been able to get back up to that distance or beyond in quite a while. Plus, I just plain didnt like it. It jumped around my waist constantly and really made it hard for me to concentrate or even enjoy my run with it flopping around and chafing on my waist. It gets my thumbs down!

Dave

I've had good luck with the 4 bottle fuel belt. I recently bought some of the bigger 10oz bottles to add capacity as my runs have stretched out. For me at least, the velcro and elastic band gets it tight enough so that the bottles don't bounce around.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Nathan also makes a good one. This is the kind that both Hub and I have. It has room for add on bottles, a really nice convenient key/ipod pouch, and a loop hole to hold a coat, or pair of gloves. Does not seem to ride up or chafe. Just got mine from Amazon, paid around 35 bucks for it.

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Best Present Ever

I have a fuelbelt. It's not bad, but my hands hit the bottles in front and bugged me. I figured out that if i put the bottles in 'backwards' (so that the tops and bottoms are closest to me) it worked better. it didn't bounce as much as i feared. I did get a bigger size than was indicated based on waist size so i could wear it lower than my waist.

The shirtless wonder

I have a 6 bottle Fuel Belt. For the most part it works well. The bottles are held by elastic which, along with being near your waist, keeps them from bouncing around. It can be challenging to get the bottles back into the holder especially for the bottles near the back. I've never used an Amphipod belt but the clip-in style bottle holder is attractive to me as it seems much easier than using the elastic. Greg
                      I use the Amphipod Runlite 4. http://www.amphipod.com/8400/8400.html I like to distribute the weight evenly around my waist. I like the ability to add or subtract bottles based on the length of the run. I too had an issue with not getting the bottles clipped in at first, but havent had a problem in a while. Bob http://bobrunner.blogspot.com
                        I use the Amphipod Runlite 4.
                        +1. The Amphipod has worked very well for me.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

BostonRnr

I use the 6-bottle fuel belt: http://www.fuelbelt.com/fuel_belts/6_bottle.html This is the first one I've ever used, so I have nothing to compare it to. But, it's easy to get the bottles on and off and it doesn't slide around.
                            I love my Amphipod belt (4 bottle) Yes, it is a bit tricky getting use to inserting and removing the bottles but after a couple of runs, I've gotten used to it and have "NEVER" dropped a bottle. Like another person siad, the belt is easy to adjust and I don't have any excess bouncing. I can take one bottle or four, it's up to me. My only compliant, is that because I partially freeze water and/or Gatorade in my bottles, they tend to condensate and drip cold drops on my legs. Tough to live with, right! Larry

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Life is Good

Thanks for the input! Appreciate it Wink

Run 1000 miles

bike 500 miles

finish a half Ironman triathlon

Warrior dash 2012

Chickamauga battlefield half 2012

and a few small races in between

Another plug for Amphipod. I like how they click in. Never had a problem with them popping off, even with some violent trail tumbles. Also the fact that they are modular sold me on them. You can arrange the bottles & pouches however you like, horizontal, vertical, front, back.