Arrest made (Read 523 times)

I have to agree with mikeymike -- it will be a long time before people can move on.  I live 150 miles away and know a dozen people personally effected by this.  My closest being my BIL who works in the building in between the 2 bombings.  I have a feeling many might never get over it.

OK, I understand what you are saying.  I think I should have stated my message better as my intent was lost I think.  A fully understand some folks will never be able to move on, or it will take a long time.  Some people, including those affected directly are of the opinion that if the perp dies, the healing and moving process can happen faster.  Others want a trial and life in jail, or trial and a drawn out eventual death penalty...  People want different things.  I had a good friend there just about to finish and they are of the same opinion that I am.  It isn't about me at all.  I was just stating an opinion...

The important thing regardless is that both of the people identified, and it is just a matter of time until the second suspect is captured.  That is great news.

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Turbolegs

Better he be captured alive than dead. Once all intel is extracted, then he can be executed or serve a life sentence or whatever it is that the court is prepared to hand down. We absolutely need to know why he did what he did, and if there are others like him waiting around the corner, then it gives us a chance to stop this from repeating itself ever again.

This discussion though is just academic - if he is the nutjob that i think he is, its unlikely he will let himself be taken alive. Especially since the reports i have seen so far, say that his brother was found with explosives on him or that he was wearing an explosive vest. Meaning he didnt want to go alone. Just hope no more cops are killed ...

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

This discussion though is just academic - if he is the nutjob that i think he is, its unlikely he will let himself be taken alive. Especially since the reports i have seen so far, say that his brother was found with explosives on him or that he was wearing an explosive vest. Meaning he didnt want to go alone. Just hope no more cops are killed ...

I'm afraid you're right, but I'm hopeful that it's a Harris/Klebold kind of situation, where one was the radical and the other, while still sick,  was sort of swept up into it, maybe not quite prepared to go to the same lengths.  The early comments (which I take with a huge grain of salt) seem to indicate that the younger brother wasn't nearly as prickly as the older one.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

bhearn

Evidently he's now posting on social media that he wants to kill more cops because they killed his brother.

an amazing likeness

Evidently he's now posting on social media that he wants to kill more cops because they killed his brother.

That's downright unsocial of him...

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Good.  Makes it easier to find him.  Keep talking, fools.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

STOP MAKING ME WRONG!

Black eye Clown

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Prince of Fatness

STOP MAKING ME WRONG!

Black eye Clown

The dude looked people in the eye and set a bag of explosives and shrapnel down next to them and walked away.  You were already wrong.  Wink

Not at it at all. 

xor

Crowdsourcing something like this has been super problematic.  (personal note, I was much happier w/o facebook, and this stuff hasn't made me feel better).

I was going to make the semi-joke that I hope reddit takes itself offline for a couple days for being dumbass and trying to wreck innocent lives, but apparently someone else took the more active approach:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/19/reddit-ddos-attack_n_3115534.html

As for what's actually going down today - damn.  Justice is good, but damn.  Almost everything about this from almost every angle just makes me feel empty and hollow.   (not 100%, but lots)

xor

Is it really him?

I don't think that crowdsourcing is necessarily the problem.  That's what investigating is.  I think the problem is that the big media outlets have been running with the stories that come out of crowdsourcing rather than official evidence.

I would rather rely on private security cameras, photos, and such rather than government monitored security cameras on every corner.

Crowdsourcing something like this has been super problematic.  (personal note, I was much happier w/o facebook, and this stuff hasn't made me feel better).

I was going to make the semi-joke that I hope reddit takes itself offline for a couple days for being dumbass and trying to wreck innocent lives, but apparently someone else took the more active approach:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/19/reddit-ddos-attack_n_3115534.html

As for what's actually going down today - damn.  Justice is good, but damn.  Almost everything about this from almost every angle just makes me feel empty and hollow.   (not 100%, but lots)

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

Crowdsourcing information/data is fine. The past three days prove that it may never again be possible to do something like this without somebody -- or a lot of somebodies -- catching you on camera. A generation ago we'd be lucky at this point to have a crude sketch of a suspect (Unabomber).

The problems start when these jokers put names to the faces and tell the world what they've "discovered." No innocent people got lynched this time, but that's a real possibility.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

The problems start when legitimate news sources put names to the faces and tell the world what they've "discovered." No innocent people got lynched this time, but that's a real possibility.

FTFY

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

xor

No, it is just as bad when reddit and twitter and whatever do it because in today's "I wanna be part of the solution!" social media society, the rubbernecking/solidarity sociology impact is that people pick up on "facts" (which are not facts) and start spreading it around as fast as possible.  I woke up this morning to various facebook postings regarding "police scanner chatter" which seemed to imply that one suspect was the missing guy from BU.  And that poor guy's name got sent EVERYWHERE. This was not sourced in legitimate news.  It was people trying to be helpful, fanning flames and... based on the comments on these posts, including stuff like "I hope he rots in hell", total lynch mob mentality.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04/19/17823365-tweeting-police-chatter-creates-confusion-over-boston-suspect

Feeling the growl again

Supposedly #2 is down.  We shall see.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills