Skechers Won the Boston Marathon (Read 594 times)

bryantsf

I was a little skeptical at first myself, but I absolutely LOVE my my GoRun 3's. I can't believe a shoe so light has so much cushion. the only beef I have with the shoe was the laces, and that was an easy fix. This shoe is legit.

@bryantsf on Twitter

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

In full disclosure I work for Skechers Performance (and if you follow these forums you might know me as the same runner who spent the last 4 years working for Mizuno) 

Ha!  That's amazing.  I've always enjoyed your comments about Mizuno and some other shoes on here, good to hear you'll still be posting, and from yet another company that I'm interested in but not completely sold on.

Anyway, your comment about Skechers supporting Meb is spot-on, IMO, whether that's what the article in the OP says or not (sorry, no time to read it).  I agree that Meb could have done it in Nike's or whatever...but what he couldn't have done it without is a sponsorship that allowed him to train 24/7.  Skechers gave him that.  Nike didn't.  Ergo, Skechers allowed him to win.

I'll freely admit, if there's a Skechers booth at the OKC Expo this weekend, I'm going to go pay them a visit, not because I think they'll make me run like Meb, but because they believed in him when others didn't, and I'd like to support them in some small way for that (if the shoe works for me).

I'll also be keeping my eye out for an Elliptigo booth.  I already wear CEP sleeves and sometimes cross myself when I run.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

That's what business week is saying.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-04-21/skechers-won-the-boston-marathon-dot-but-why-was-it-even-in-the-race

I get that Sketchers are not your typical running shoe (I don't wear them, don't plan to).  But really, how many of you real runners believe the shoe brand is going to make or break an elite/pro level athlete's performance?

Do we REALLY believe Meb would have run faster or slower in a pair of Nikes (assuming he had the same training in them as he did in the sketchers).  Or do we realize, like bike companies, the pro will ride or run in whatever they're paid to (Meb was getting paid mid-6 figures, btw).

End transmission.

I think Business Week was talking in terms of marketing.  I mean, it is Business Week.

I'm not sure what people believe as individuals, but obviously, in general, people are willing to buy shoes based on the celebrity or expert that is endorsing them.  Runners, like anyone else, respond to marketing, or the companies wouldn't do it.

Skechers is the company that gave him a chance when Nike didn't want to.  A major sponsorship that allows you to run without the constraints of a job can make or break a elite/pro level athlete's performance--especially when it comes to winning the Boston Marathon.

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

Thanks for the kind words my man.  I'm not certain if we will have a rep there, but I'll see if I can find out.

It's an uphill battle being at a brand that is perceived as not "performance"... but trust me, the running division I work for lives this stuff!

Hope your training is going well!

Ha!  That's amazing.  I've always enjoyed your comments about Mizuno and some other shoes on here, good to hear you'll still be posting, and from yet another company that I'm interested in but not completely sold on.

Anyway, your comment about Skechers supporting Meb is spot-on, IMO, whether that's what the article in the OP says or not (sorry, no time to read it).  I agree that Meb could have done it in Nike's or whatever...but what he couldn't have done it without is a sponsorship that allowed him to train 24/7.  Skechers gave him that.  Nike didn't.  Ergo, Skechers allowed him to win.

I'll freely admit, if there's a Skechers booth at the OKC Expo this weekend, I'm going to go pay them a visit, not because I think they'll make me run like Meb, but because they believed in him when others didn't, and I'd like to support them in some small way for that (if the shoe works for me).

I'll also be keeping my eye out for an Elliptigo booth.  I already wear CEP sleeves and sometimes cross myself when I run.

---------

degregorius

I think Meb's win has less to do with the specific shoe (GOmeb Speed3 due out this Fall) but more to do with the support the brand has given him over the past few years.  Which is another big part of what I saw in the brand when I made the decision to join...

Skechers deserves credit for supporting Meb with his training.

I'm a big fan of the shoes.  I have two GoRun rides and a GoRun, plus a pair of GoBionic trails I haven't worn.  There great.   My only gripe is that the soles collect stones more than other brands of shoes I've worn.  As for laces, i've swapped them out for some other brand (I forget) that you don't have to tie.

delicate flower

I'll be honest, I never gave Sketchers much thought before.  I didn't know anything about them and didn't really care.  Meb winning the Boston Marathon though prompted me to read up on Sketchers, which lead me to reading a lot of very positive reviews of their shoes, which in turn convinced me that I'd certainly be willing to to give them a try now.  Three days ago I wouldn't have even considered Sketchers.  Meb's win got me to look into them.

<3

juniordo1

I'm definitely available to answer any questions about the Performance Division here at Skechers and welcome conversations about the shoes and brand. I know it's a super polarizing brand... and I'm expecting the haterade, but if runners can be open minded and try the product I'm stoked to share ideas with you all!

I am a  relatively new runner (5< years) and I went through a lot of shoes (Addidas, ASICS, Saucony) and insoles. I experienced a lot of niggling foot and leg problems.Then I found the Skechers GoRun Rides. The shoes really made running much more pleasurable and much less painful for me. I own two pairs, One has around 400 miles and the other has around 100. I ran a marathon last year in the shoe with the lesser mileage. My shoes don't show significant wear and are as comfortbale as the day I bought them.

Yes, people have smirked when they saw my shoes but I wouldn't trade them.

The only issue I have/have had with the shoes is that the uppers rub the top of my foerefoot at the seam and I usually only notice it on runs longer than two hours. I placed a piece of duct tape on my sock for the marathon and suffered no chafing from the seam.

Go Skechers!

2013 -Sub 2:00 for 1/2 marathon

Half Fanatic #846

I love my Skechers Go Bionics (minimal with  zero heel lift) - I have three pairs. They're comfy, inexpensive and I think I can get 500-600 miles out of each pair.

MTA:

When I'm not running barefooted, that is.

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

CT JEFF

You can run barefoot if you want. The shoes wont make you fast. But if you are actually fast, they will expect you to wear what they are selling.

I found it more interesting that Runners World has a big one page APRIL ad for Sketchers with Meb in them. The magazine came out before the race. Around April 7th.

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

I'm still slow and still a noob.  I am also a shoe whore (my wife enjoys reminding me).  I have 7 different types of shoes in daily rotation, and run 50+ miles a week.  If I had to use just one pair, the Go Bionics would be the pick.

I tried a pair of the GoRun Mebs, and had to send them back.  They were like wearing shoes with plywood soles.  It was the most uncomfortable pair of shoes I have used for running. Far too stiff.

Runner with a riding problem.

I'll be honest, I never gave Sketchers much thought before.  I didn't know anything about them and didn't really care.  Meb winning the Boston Marathon though prompted me to read up on Sketchers, which lead me to reading a lot of very positive reviews of their shoes, which in turn convinced me that I'd certainly be willing to to give them a try now.  Three days ago I wouldn't have even considered Sketchers.  Meb's win got me to look into them.

Which is exactly the "win" the Bloomberg Businessweek article was talking about.

Reading comprehension. It's good shit.

Runners run

You can run barefoot if you want. The shoes wont make you fast. But if you are actually fast, they will expect you to wear what they are selling.

I found it more interesting that Runners World has a big one page APRIL ad for Sketchers with Meb in them. The magazine came out before the race. Around April 7th.

Meb has been in our ads for the past 3 years!  He's been an awesome ambassador for the brand, we are super proud of him!

---------

I'm still slow and still a noob.  I am also a shoe whore (my wife enjoys reminding me).  I have 7 different types of shoes in daily rotation, and run 50+ miles a week.  If I had to use just one pair, the Go Bionics would be the pick.

I tried a pair of the GoRun Mebs, and had to send them back.  They were like wearing shoes with plywood soles.  It was the most uncomfortable pair of shoes I have used for running. Far too stiff.

Yea.. the Speed 2's (Meb shoe) are very firm, fast, and snappy.  Meb specifically helped us design the shoe for fast running, high cadence and a poppy feeling!    I can see if some people don't like that performance fit, feel and firmness.

Seeing how you like the Bionics, I definitely understand you'd prefer a highly flex shoe.   That's why we make different shoes for different types of runners!

---------

delicate flower

Which is exactly the "win" the Bloomberg Businessweek article was talking about.

Reading comprehension. It's good shit.

That's point I was trying to make.  Did I need to explicity say that?

<3

I think Mikey was directing your quote as an example to the OP.  Or maybe I'm wrong.  I think a lot of us have been trying to point that out to the OP.

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it