Skechers Won the Boston Marathon (Read 594 times)

I think you'd prefer the GObionics as well then.

Personally... I midfoot strike in whatever I'm in, and prefer a slight offset with the  mileage I put in,... but if you have been in VFF then I think the Bionic zero drop ride would be great for you!

Seth, based on this thread and the Skechers website descriptions, the GoBionics (or possibly Mebs) appear to be the closest alternative to Vibrams; would you agree?  As a VFF user, I'm not sure I would like any significant heel drop or greater weight.

---------

My take as well. There are like a million different Go Run somethings and each comes in like a hundred colors. Calm down, Skechers.

It's hard to tell the performance shoes from the fashion shoes if you search online. A search for "Go Run 3" returns a shit ton of results and most of them are not the shoe you're looking for. Usually you get a lot of Go Run Ride 3, or Go Run Bionic 3 or whatever else and none of my usual running shoe sources like runningwarehouse carry them.

With  our new plans to make a harder push into run specialty, we sure hope with runners like yourself demanding the product... you'll see us in more local shops and maybe even RUnning Warehouse.

As far as the performance lineup... I understand the confusion, but it's not as complicated as it might seem:

Just like Mizuno uses the prefix "WAVE" in all shoes.. we use "GOrun".  The performance lineup is (in order from most cushion):
      - Ultra
      - Ride
      - Run (GOrun3 is the current model.. essentially our flagship/hero shoe)
      - Speed 
      - Bionic
      -------------------------------

Thanks for the feedback all!  Keep it coming!

---------

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I think you'd prefer the GObionics as well then.

Personally... I midfoot strike in whatever I'm in, and prefer a slight offset with the  mileage I put in,... but if you have been in VFF then I think the Bionic zero drop ride would be great for you!

Thanks, we have a Skechers outlet nearby and I'll try them on. I think I midfoot strike in the Vibrams too.  I don't know about offset.

That said, back to the model confusion, I don't even see the model you mention on the Skechers website.  I see only GoBionic 2 and GoBionic Fuel.  ??

http://www.skechers.com/men/styles/athletic-shoes#Styles=%2Frunning-shoes

The performance lineup is (in order from most cushion):

- Ultra
          - Ride
          - Speed 
          - Bionic

This is very helpful. I guess the problem is that by having GOrun in ALL the names, AND having simply the "GOrun" be your flagship shoe, it makes it unnecessarily confusing.

I know Mizuno calls everying "Wave" and Saucony used to put "ProGrid" in all their shoes names but nobody cared about that. You searched or asked for "Saucony Kinvara" and you found just the ProGrid Knivara. You want the Mizuno Wave Inspire, you search "Mizuino Inspire" and you find that shoe ... not every shoe with the word "Wave" in its name.

Runners run

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

With  our new plans to make a harder push into run specialty, we sure hope with runners like yourself demanding the product... you'll see us in more local shops and maybe even RUnning Warehouse.

As far as the performance lineup... I understand the confusion, but it's not as complicated as it might seem:

Just like Mizuno uses the prefix "WAVE" in all shoes.. we use "GOrun".  The performance lineup is (in order from most cushion):
            - Ultra
            - Ride
            - Speed 
            - Bionic

Just tried - again - to navigate the murky Skechers water to find an appropriate shoe for me...

The Bionic shoes do not appear to be tagged as "GOrun," rather as "GObionic"

And, there is no mention of a wider forefoot - although I've read, somewhere, that it has such.

What's the difference between the GObionic 2 and the GObionic Fuel?

What about the GORun Ultra and the GORun Ultra LT?

A comparison chart would be really helpful as a start.

I tried a pair of Skechers early on - the mid-foot hump, sweaty upper, and overall cheap "we're not a real running shoe" workmanship and materials put me off.

I'm still curious, but the waters are way too difficult to navigate.

So far, other than sponsoring some runners, Skechers has done nothing to make me think they're serious about running.

Liz

pace sera, sera

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Just tried - again - to navigate the murky Skechers water to find an appropriate shoe for me...

The Bionic shoes do not appear to be tagged as "GOrun," rather as "GObionic"

And, there is no mention of a wider forefoot - although I've read, somewhere, that it has such.

What's the difference between the GObionic 2 and the GObionic Fuel?

What about the GORun Ultra and the GORun Ultra LT?

A comparison chart would be really helpful as a start.

I tried a pair of Skechers early on - the mid-foot hump, sweaty upper, and overall cheap "we're not a real running shoe" workmanship and materials put me off.

I'm still curious, but the waters are way too difficult to navigate.

So far, other than sponsoring some runners, Skechers has done nothing to make me think they're serious about running.

I agree with your comments about the names...I too have seen both "GOrun Bionic" and "GOBionic" (though I suppose it's possible I was seeing an online vendor mislabel them).  And when I was in the Skechers Outlet, I kept grabbing the Rides instead of the "regular" GORuns until I figured out that the little circled letter above and to the right of the logo was the distinguishing factor on the box - "M" for the regular ones, and "R" for the Rides.  It was an outlet store, though, and only had up to the 2's...this may have been fixed with the latest iteration.

I think that last statement is a little harsh, though.  I don't really see what else they could be doing to make us think they were "serious" about performance running that is feasible.  Yeah, the naming conventions are a little byzantine, but they're not going to just completely jettison the fashion shoes that have been (and I'm sure still are) their bread and butter for so long.  Established brands like Brooks and Saucony don't just materialize overnight...I don't know how those companies were structured when they first got into performance running, but I bet they weren't viewed as "serious" at the outset, either.

I really like my GORun 2's I got at that outlet store (though I do still worry about longevity - 30 miles in, I'm already seeing significant wear on the lateral side of the heel).  I had a similar opinion to yours awhile back when I tried on a pair of GORun 1's, but this shoe is a lot better.  Midfoot "hump" is still there, but I've decided I like that, and man is that upper flexible and light.  I'm guessing the 3's are even more of an improvement.  I will say I still prefer my Kinvaras, but I'll definitely be trying on the GORun 3's when I get a chance.  Celebrity endorsements aside, I'm confident they're "serious" about the sport.  Hiring knowledgeable people like Seth away from other established companies is another good indicator.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Established brands like Brooks and Saucony don't just materialize overnight...I don't know how those companies were structured when they first got into performance running, but I bet they weren't viewed as "serious" at the outset, either.

Brooks and Saucony for the most part were "serious" running brands way before anyone knew who they were and way before they could really afford to sponsor any well known athletes. They have never been anything but performance running brands. They weren't basketball or tennis or casual shoe or baseball glove companies that noticed a market adjacency in running and had tons of resources to muscle their way into the market and to be able to sell their new specialty running brands through their existing channels. They didn't sell their shoes at Dick's sporting goods and Macy's and they didn't have their own retail outlets in malls. They didn't have ads on tv.

Not the same thing at all.

Runners run

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Brooks and Saucony for the most part were "serious" running brands way before anyone knew who they were and way before they could really afford to sponsor any well known athletes. They have never been anything but performance running brands. They weren't basketball or tennis or casual shoe or baseball glove companies that noticed a market adjacency in running and had tons of resources to muscle their way into the market and to be able to sell their new specialty running brands through their existing channels. They didn't sell their shoes at Dick's sporting goods and Macy's and they didn't have their own retail outlets in malls. They didn't have ads on tv.

Point taken, thanks.  But I still say, there's no reason Skechers can't produce a good running shoe, and I don't see any reason to assume they aren't serious about doing so.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

But I still say, there's no reason Skechers can't produce a good running shoe, and I don't see any reason to assume they aren't serious about doing so.

Well I'm on record above as saying they make a good running shoe and I've put my money where my mouth is on that, so I don't disagree.

But the cynic in me suspects that deep down they want to make good running shoes only so long as most of them are purchased by non-runners, or occasional runners. Because there are way more of them than there are weirdo serious runners.

If you want to sell shoes to serious runners, you get your shoes in the specialty running stores and you keep them out of mall channels. You work the local elites, the running clubs, you sponsor training groups and races.

If you want to sell a lot of "running" shoes to non-runners, you sponsor the most decorated American marathoner, put ads on TV and then pump your shoes through your existing department store channels.

Nothing wrong or immoral about either path. It's just business.

Runners run

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Point taken, thanks.  But I still say, there's no reason Skechers can't produce a good running shoe, and I don't see any reason to assume they aren't serious about doing so.

It would help if on their own web site they would clearly differentiate the performance running shoes

from the fashion / walking / what ever shoes.

A detailed "how it fits" section on the web site would be a nice.   How wide is the toe box?  What shape the last?

mta:  I'd like to try the ultras but judging by the pictures they appear to be quite narrow and strait.  Hard to say

from pictures.  

steph  

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Exactly. Skechers may make a fine running shoe.

As a runner, I may never know it because they aren't doing anything (much, yet) to get that product to me. They aren't speaking my language, appealing to my needs, placing their product in places I would look, etc.

Now, if I was one of them 5k marathoners ... 

Liz

pace sera, sera

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Well I'm on record above as saying they make a good running shoe and I've put my money where my mouth is on that, so I don't disagree.

But the cynic in me suspects that deep down they want to make good running shoes only so long as most of them are purchased by non-runners, or occasional runners. Because there are way more of them than there are weirdo serious runners.

If you want to sell shoes to serious runners, you get your shoes in the specialty running stores and you keep them out of mall channels. You work the local elites, the running clubs, you sponsor training groups and races.

If you want to sell a lot of "running" shoes to non-runners, you sponsor the most decorated American marathoner, put ads on TV and then pump your shoes through your existing department store channels.

Nothing wrong or immoral about either path. It's just business.

Eh, I can entertain that theory...especially since, as I think about it, I kind of have the same opinion of Nike, ironically enough.  I have absolutely no numbers to back this up, but my sense is that, even though they certainly have very good specialty lines in running, basketball, football, etc., and etc., the vast bulk of their income is from people who may enjoy those activities but are by no means "serious" runners, basketball players, football players, etc..  A LOT of my students wear a LOT of Nike stuff...but it's mostly their fashion products.

As to the Skechers shoes appearing in specialty stores, I'd be interested in hearing Seth's input on that, if he's allowed to talk about it.  I can imagine there might be a bit of a Catch-22 involved: the specialty stores won't carry them because "serious" runners don't wear them, and serious runners won't wear them because the specialty stores won't carry them.  Wondering if Meb's sudden prominence will break that.

I've never seen the GORun line in the mall, and I could tell they were kind of an afterthought even in that Skechers outlet I went to.  But I know what you mean.  I've never seen them in an expo, never seen them sponsor an event.

Hey all,

I've been in some meetings today and just  reading up on the conversation right now, sorry I missed this!

I'll touch on some of the questions when I have some free time this evening!  All great points... but thanks!!

---------

xhristopher

Eh, I can entertain that theory...especially since, as I think about it, I kind of have the same opinion of Nike, ironically enough.  I have absolutely no numbers to back this up, but my sense is that, even though they certainly have very good specialty lines in running, basketball, football, etc., and etc., the vast bulk of their income is from people who may enjoy those activities but are by no means "serious" runners, basketball players, football players, etc..  A LOT of my students wear a LOT of Nike stuff...but it's mostly their fashion products.

a former boss of mine was a vp at nike and I asked specifically about this. According to her your theory is spot on. It's about selling shoes, not catering to nerds. We aren't really the market they are going after.

jopapgh

Last I checked both Brooks and Saucony are sold at Dick's Sporting Goods. And Puma, Adidas, and Nike all sell their running shoes at their mall outlets.