Do your hands swell on your runs? (Read 922 times)

Double IPA Please!

Im sure its no different than when your feet swell, but, I can't stand the way that feels. I come home and immediately want to run them under cold water. Am I not hydrated enough? Clowning around

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Shipping is always free with me!! :-)

mb1973

I don't really have that problem but from time to time my feet seem to go to sleep during runs... I think it's just one of those things...Ya know??

Non ducor, duco.

Denise I think you are not hydrated enough. I had the same problem but noticed when I really drank a ton before a run, I no longer had it. My hands always itched when they swelled. ICK. Good luck!

Double IPA Please!

Thanks and yeah, I figured as much, but figured I would ask anyway. I just can't stand the way that feels Dead

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Shipping is always free with me!! :-)

I think you are not hydrated enough.
            I don't know if this is necessarily true (Trent?). I've experienced swelling in my hands and even around my eyes after purposely hydrating for a marathon. Because I also have more sodium than usual the night before a long race, I'd always attributed this swelling to water retention as opposed to dehydration.

Lazy idiot

On the flip side of dehydration is hyponatremia. Be careful out there, folks.

Tick tock

Denise, My hands really swell up too. But they always have with any sport I've done, even when I was a lot younger. I never thought about it having to do with hydration. I'll be interested in what the answer is. Vicki
                  Consider a proper (whatever that is) balance of hydration and electrolytes. Sometimes hand and/or foot swelling can be attributed to improper balance, but I'm not convinced that's the only contributor. I'll sometimes have the problem on long hikes (years ago). I may have it on long runs (multiple hours) occasionally. (proper balance is a topic by itself and not easily identified) I can't remember ever having it on shorter runs, activities, sports, etc. - unless I'm pounding something (like a volleyball) with my hands.
                  "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                    My hands swell if I swing them down to low, they don't swell if I hold them higher, more level and pointing out forward versus pointing down, regardless of hydration.
                    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I don't know if this is necessarily true
                      Agreed. Usually it is overhydration with inadequate sodium that causes swelling.

Lazy idiot

What do I win?

Tick tock

Non ducor, duco.

Agreed. Usually it is overhydration with inadequate sodium that causes swelling.
                          This is interesting Trent. A dietician just told me that I the fact that I am a salt-sweater indicates that I probably need more salt (ie Gatorade) in my diet. I dont salt anything. Who knew, oh wise one! But why would it get better for me with hydration? Huh? Not that this thread is about me.... Blush
                            My hands swell if I swing them down to low.
                            What if your ears hang low? Do they wobble to and fro? Can you tie them in a knot? Can you tie them in a bow?

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

What if your ears hang low? Do they wobble to and fro? Can you tie them in a knot? Can you tie them in a bow?
                              Ugh...slight highjack-but every now and again on a run I get this song STUCK IN MY HEAD. Not too bad for a mile or 2, but for 9 or 10...not good. But as long as I stay hydrated my ears are fine. Smile
                                Ugh...slight highjack-but every now and again on a run I get this song STUCK IN MY HEAD.
                                I hate when an unwanted song invades my head on runs. They're usually bad ones, which I would never choose to listen to.