Shoulder pain (Read 99 times)

ud32

Non-running issue but thought I may get some good advice here! Pain in back of shoulder of non-dominant arm- where triceps meets the shoulder when I do an external shoulder rotation. See diagram below. I also noticed it also hurts if I do overhead dumbbell presses.

Any thoughts on trying to "cure" this at home ?

Don't do those things.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

jicama

Did we win?

I read this page the other day and have been surprised at how much better my shoulder feels.

http://wellroundedathlete.net/mtod-2-avoid-shoulder-impingement/

2014 races"

Heart & Sole Half-Marathon,  Goldsboro, NC, Feb.8, 2:22

Umstead Trail Marathon, Raleigh, NC, Mar. 1, 5:48

Johnston Health Champions 5K, Smithfield, NC, 26:53

Rattler Trail Half-Marathon, Sanford, NC, 2:52 (wow)

2013 races:

Heart & Sole Half-Marathon,  Goldsboro, NC, Feb. 2, 1:56:40 (PR)

New River Marathon, Todd, NC, May 4, 4:59:32 (PR)

Triple Lakes Trail Race (40 mile), Greensboro, NC, Oct. 5, DNF after 31 miles in 7:48

mikeymike

Do palms out push ups with your elbows close to your body.

Runners run

MorisetteStevens

Use ice packs, painkillers or anti-inflammatories, like Kingly Velvet.  Do also palms out push ups with your elbows close to your body.
            If the pain doesn't subside after a couple of weeks, visit your Doctor, to check up your shoulder.

endurancenerd

Chief Endurance Dork

Yikes!  Please don't just jump into push ups.  With some of the possible causes, they could easily make it worse.

Can't diagnose you here, but a few questions:

Any pain at night?  Can you lift your hands overhead pain free, or is it just with weights that it hurts?

Can you distract (pull) the shoulder down?  Is that painful, or does it take any discomfort away?  You can try this in standing by relaxing the shoulder and having someone pull your arm gently toward the floor by grasping the hand and the elbow.

endurancenerd

Chief Endurance Dork

Also...in that picture you linked.....if you do that motion against resistance, does it still hurt the same amount and location behind the shoulder?  More?

ud32

1) It still hurts when I do that motion with resistance but not as much

2) No noticeable pain at night while sleeping

3) Very minimal pain if I lift my hands overhead without weights - still painful if I try overhead dumbbell presses or bench press

4) If I do a scapular wall slide - see picture below - pain worsens the further I slide my arm below 90 degrees.

I have an ortho doc appointment in a week.

So no more raising the roof until you see the doc..

1) It still hurts when I do that motion with resistance but not as much

2) No noticeable pain at night while sleeping

3) Very minimal pain if I lift my hands overhead without weights - still painful if I try overhead dumbbell presses or bench press

4) If I do a scapular wall slide - see picture below - pain worsens the further I slide my arm below 90 degrees.

I have an ortho doc appointment in a week.