sorting courses by distance (Read 812 times)

eric :)

After over 5.5 years, I finally got around to adding sorting courses by distance.  I've been reluctant to add it because it's actually a very drastic change mostly due to my lack of foresight with how the database stores the default course distance.  It's a somewhat hard problem because it involves modifying the database layout which I'm always reluctant to do because it can mean loss of data.  After much testing, I finally made the change and rolled it out tonight.  Please keep an eye out on any discrepancies.  If you see the course distance being different from what you entered, please let me know.

Julia1971

The distance column for my courses converted to kilometers.  My locale settings still say miles, though.  And, if I click through to view the course, it shows the distance in miles.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Eric, thank you so much!  I'm sure the mi/km thing isn't a big deal, and in fact, I'm okay with the courses being displayed in km if that's what it takes to have them sortable.  Curiously, though, four of my >100 courses are showing miles.

It looks like the courses that have a default distance entered show as the unit entered and everything else is in km. 

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Thank you sooooooooo much.  I agree with the above post.  The KM are being listed on mile courses where you don't manually set the distance.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

When you create a course, you have the option to specify a default distance.  If you didn't specify one but created a map, the map's distance will be used as default.  Before, these two numbers are stored in separate places, which is why sorting was not possible.  I consolidated the two numbers, but in the case where there is no default distance specified, the map's distance is used.  The map's distance is stored in metric, which is why you're seeing some distances in metric.  I'm working on a fix right now but it will take some time for additional testing.

eric Smile

vegefrog

This is awesome! So much more organized! I don't mind that some switched to km, because I put the mileage in my course title.

I have fixed the unit problem.

Nice update ... thanks.  This is much more convenient than putting the distance at the front of the course name itself.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.