Base Building (Read 178 times)

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

I need to build a better base.

In my four years of off-and-on running, I've basically built up to a race, run it, and then dropped off a cliff - because I met my goal, got injured, and/or because of a huge cross-country move, new job, etc. etc.. I haven't run consistently these past four years. I haven't strung together 12-18 months of solid running in a row. I've never simply logged enough miles to build a solid base.

Yesterday I ran a marathon. A good-for-me time of 3:27 (25 minutes off my previous best from three years earlier). I'm now looking ahead, and besides wanting to run a sub-6:00 open mile in the Monumental Mile in Indianapolis this June (my recent-years PR is 6:03 with less training than I've had so far this training cycle), I don't really have any goals for the next few months. I just want to run, build a base, and keep healthy. I may not run another marathon until next spring, or perhaps even Fall 2015.

Any suggestions out there for base-building, a not-training-for-a-marathon type of running schedule? Other smaller goals include increasing upper body and core strength, weight loss (I've already lost 20-30 pounds since September) and doing some weights on the legs to strengthen my knee (I had some serious right knee pain yesterday).

Thank you, in advance, for your advice.

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Duckworth, congratulations on a great second marathon performance! Very impressive!

Sounds to me like you're something of an overachiever if you're already figuring out how to improve on that! Smile

Seriously, what has helped me with keeping up a solid base has been streaking.  I started 520 days ago, and believe me, knowing I WILL run every day is the only thing that gives me enough discipline to make it happen on some days.  Otherwise, there would have been a lot of ducking out, as my weaker side would win in the daily the negotiations with myself.

As it is, I get up at 5:00 or 5:30, and if it's a "rest" day, I only run my easy 6.5.  And, as usual, my day goes better because I started off with a run. Smile

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

LL has it right: what you need to do is take choice out of the equation.

Don't wake up and say "should I run?".   Don't even say, "Should I run now or later?"  Just give yourself a set time and pen it into your schedule -- defend it like a momma wolverine.  Mornings are easilest -- nobody asks you to have a few beers at the pub at 5am.

I'm not a fan of streaking, because I think the rest day is sacrosanct.   But if I ever take 2 rest days in a row I sound the alarm and make sure to get back on track quick.

Congrats on the incredible PR.  That's probably just the tip of the iceberg.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

Thanks, Gentlemen! I have the discipline to run 5-6 times per week (well, at least I did when I was training for the marathon - I hope/expect to keep that up post marathon, though the sense of urgency will be less). 4am alarms, with time to eat and use the bathroom, before a 5am run outdoors, on the treadmill, or at the gym's indoor track, were the norm for the past few months.

What kind of mileage? I'm thinking 35-40/week, 5-6 days/week - three runs at 5-6 miles each, two 7-8 milers, and a 9-10 miler, hitting around 150/month. But I've never, ever done a few months of base-building, so this is all somewhat new to me.

Thanks.

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

Half Fanatic #846

I solved any "incentive problems" to run and increased mileage by converting all my rest days into shorter very easy runs starting in January. Turns out that had several benefits: keeps me loose, adds mileage, helps build my base, makes me feel better to run every day, etc.

I got to 72 days straight, rested a strained tendon for a week or so, and now I'm back at it - gradually closing in on my 40 mpw goal. The running streak on my summary page definitely helped me keep at it a few times, but I won't hesitate to rest even a minor injury and start over when able.

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

LL has it right: what you need to do is take choice out of the equation.

Don't wake up and say "should I run?".   Don't even say, "Should I run now or later?"  Just give yourself a set time and pen it into your schedule -- defend it like a momma wolverine.  Mornings are easilest -- nobody asks you to have a few beers at the pub at 5am.

I'm not a fan of streaking, because I think the rest day is sacrosanct.   But if I ever take 2 rest days in a row I sound the alarm and make sure to get back on track quick.

Congrats on the incredible PR.  That's probably just the tip of the iceberg.

My streak hasn't exactly been sacrosanct; I imagine having a schedule and sticking to it is just as good.  In fact, sounds like Duckworth has been plenty disciplined.

Sultan of slug

Nice PR, congrats.

I also like running 5-6x per week when I'm healthy. I've had success with the discipline aspect of base building by sticking to a weekly mileage goal. Determine the mileage that you're going to run that week at the beginning of the week. That way, you can be flexible with how many miles you run in a given day, when you take your rest day, and such. Sure, you can take a break when you're feeling lazy, but you know it'll make it harder to get in your 30 or 40 or however-many miles.

You can get in one or two medium-to-hard efforts if you feel like it each week. That's the great thing about not being on a real training schedule: If you're out on an easy run and feel good, you can pick it up and push it if you want, without having to worry about those 1200m repeats you have scheduled the next day. Just try to keep yourself from doing this too often...

Have fun

The best way to keep consistent is to have a big picture plan with goals, and to periodize your running. If you do the same thing every week you'll get bored and fall off. So you have to switch things up somewhat every month or two. A really good base phase should go for 2-3 months, but that doesn't necessarily mean going out and running easy every day that you run. You have your longer term (a race or string of races) in mind when planning your base and you tailor your base training so you can readilly transition into the next phase.

Following a marathon - Maybe a week off followed by 3-6 weeks fairly easy running, ranging from 30 to 90 minutes. You go by feel and if you are overly tight and tired either take another day off or schedule a deep massage for your quads--usually that's where you take the biggest beating.

Transition - start incorporating light pick ups, fartlek, hills and tempos. But don't attempt all of those in the same week. Maybe once or twice a week. And what you do/how you do it often depends on your goals. If it's the mile, then a 3-4 week phase of short (30 sec to 2 min) hill reps every week might be good, with a day doing a set of 15-25 sec pick ups incorporated into your long run,. If it's 10K then mixing up some tempos, with hill reps, or 2-3 min reps at a faster effort with equal recovery. Do that for another 4-6 weeks, getting a bit faster as you go, and by the end of that you are ready for another month or so of race-specfic training, followed by about 4-6 weeks of peak phase.

Recover. Plan. Repeat.