9/11 (Read 691 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

5 years. CNN online is playing a 5 year delay, replay of the live coverage from that morning. Right now, we are 5 minutes before the first plane hit, and they are talking about hurricaines and Jerry Springer.
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm listening to WGN AM talk radio out of Chicago. They were just discussing how shortly before everything started that they had commented on what a peaceful, slow news day it was. In a way I'm almost thankful that today is so rainy, cold, and dreary here. I don't think I will ever forget what a beautiful day that was 5 years ago...clear, blue skies. Such a harsh contrast between the peaceful morning and the events that would follow. We had just returned from my 10 year class reunion trip and I was spending the day catching up on laundry and unpacking. My son was 7 months old. Even though that first year of his life was mostly a blur, those early days following 9/11 are still so clear in my memory. And I'm thankful to this day that he was too young to understand any of what happened. I know there were many reports of older children being very upset and frightened by the events and the news stories. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

On my way to work this morning, I can't help but compare it to 5 years ago. I remember it like it was yesterday. I was on the on ramp to the highway. Just like today, it was a sunny gorgeous day. Not a cloud in the sky, but a little on the chilly side. I tuned in to NPR, and the morning news host said that a plane had crashed into the World Trade Center. My first thought was a small single engine prop plane. Never would I imagine a jetliner. All was changed when I got into the office. My coworkers were huddled in the lounge, with the TV on. I saw the smoke billowing out of the tower. How in the world will they put out that fire, I thought.
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh, and watching things on the news...I had the Today show on. I will forever have such respect for Matt Lauer and Katie Couric--they were on air for what seems like non-stop days. They also thought the first plane was just a small one...they were actually watching as the second one hit and were on the phone (the audio of the call was being cast on-air) with a woman on the ground. The audio during that is permanently etched in my memory. k

~ Sarah Kay

Prophet!

i live in waikiki right smack in the middle of tourist blackhole...on that day i walked outside and towards the beach to take a break from watching the broadcast and the place was like a ghost town.not a soul was on the street...just adds up to the whole sadness,emptiness, anger, disbelief, weirdness, eeriness of that day...
              I NEVER what to live through a day like that again!! My youngest worked for American Airlines (a non flying job) and was supposed to be flying out of NYC for an HR meeting in South America that day. But no one at AA knew if she was in the air or on what flight. Got a call at work from my wife saying she could not find her and thought I should call her mom. (My girls are from my first marriage) That was a waist of time, she didn't know either. Then about 6 PM the phone rings: Hello ..........................Daddy? And we start breathing again!

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hello ..........................Daddy? And we start breathing again!
                I'd wager that hearing her say "hello, daddy" was better on that occasion than it was the first time you heard it when she was a tiny tot. Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

You'd win that bet!

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

At that point in my life, I was always at work...just so happened that I was home with my very sick son that day & was rocking him while we looked for something on TV to watch. I just happened to flip past a news channel at the moment everything started. I also watched the 2nd plane crash at the time it was happening. Watched most of the rest of the broadcasts from the ER while waiting for my son to be treated. Amazing, I bet most of us can't remember what we did yesterday, but we can remember 5yrs ago yesterday!!
                    So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3