Scared of the marathon (Read 797 times)

RIP, Henry, my soul mate

I can't imagine this topic hasn't been addressed before, but I searched the site and couldn't find anything... I am strongly considering running my first marathon in the spring but I'm really scared. Scared as in when I click the register link on the Web sites of the three I'm considering I literally feel ill. But I really want to do it. I like the idea of pushing myself that hard - sick, I know. I ran the Marine Corp Historic Half in the spring and had no problems at all, not even with the brutal hills at the end. I had a great time - I loved it! But the idea of doubling that distance terrifies me. I was nervous before my first 10K, my first ten miler and my first half, but only because I wanted to do well. My fear with the marathon is I'll sign up, do all the training, and then not be able to finish. Did anyone else feel this way before their first one? Do you think this means mentally I'm not ready yet?
    JakeKnight

I'm scared before every marathon. Every single one. I'll run my tenth next month, a few more this fall. And I'll be scared of all of them. To be honest, I already am. If I ever stop being scared, I'll probably stop doing them.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

Menace to Sobriety

I am strongly considering running my first marathon in the spring but I'm really scared.
        Fear can be a great motivator. That should help in your training. You should do fine.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

But the idea of doubling that distance terrifies me. Did anyone else feel this way before their first one? Do you think this means mentally I'm not ready yet?
          Doubling the half distance seemed daunting to me also. I wasn't mentally ready. I was scared of failure till... I ran a 24 miler in training. I knew then that I was ready.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

I had that when signing up for my first HM, which is in September. Once I did it, I actually felt better about it and just buckled down on getting my long runs going. Of course, still scared of it...

TRUST THE PROCESS

C-R

I get antsy for everyone especially the week before the run. I've run 8 and have my 9th this fall. 26.2 miles is a long distance and as such demands one's respect. I don't think you are any different in that than others here. You're not mental on this but simply normal. What helps is 1) self confidence and 2) proper preparation. The less I prepare the more I worry. If you do the work in a proper manner and listen to your body during training, you should finish just fine. JK - the scared simian Confused

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

A Saucy Wench

It wouldnt be so thrilling if it werent also a bit scary.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Run the race God set B4U

Anne, I also signed up for my first Marathon next Spring...scared to death!!!!!!!! I am currently signed up to run my first HM in October, scared of that too. It's ok, seems like everyone else is in the same boat, you will do fine and good luck to you!!!! Congrats Smile
                  5K's (11), Half Marathon (1), Relay Marathon (1), 15K's (2)

Into the wild

I recall how I felt after my half marathon some years back - scared witless. The notion of running as much again was ludicrous. I got round it this weekend just passed by running a 30 trail race....it didn't seem as scarey as a marathon...truly! I did glance down at my Garmin around 26.2 miles though.. Wink Good luck, I say take a chance and put your name down for a spring marathon.

Shut up and run

Yeah, it is scary to commit. It's scary to stand at the starting line knowing what you're about to do. It's the transformation of that fear into something else when you cross the finish line that makes it worth doing. I'm not sure what you'd call it... not quite pride, not quite joy, but it is strong and it feels good. Sign up and have fun!

-------------------------------------
                      5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
                      10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
                      1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
                      Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

kcam

I recall being scared of the distance before my second marathon based on how badly I felt from mile 22 on of the first marathon. I think I was too naive in regards to running 26 miles to be scared of the first one. #2 turned out to be much easier than #1 even though it was Big Sur which is a very tough course, my training was better and I ran a more realistic pace early on. My finish time was almost 16 minutes better and felt great the entire run - I couldn't wait to run another one. Now I can't say I'm scared before a marathon but I do get nervous about whether I can hit the time I want.
                        obsessor

Marathons are frightening. I'm always scared. If I'm not - how can I run fast? How can I train if I have no healthy fear of the distance. Fear motivates me to run and to train.
                            I can't imagine this topic hasn't been addressed before, but I searched the site and couldn't find anything... I am strongly considering running my first marathon in the spring but I'm really scared. Scared as in when I click the register link on the Web sites of the three I'm considering I literally feel ill. But I really want to do it. I like the idea of pushing myself that hard - sick, I know. I ran the Marine Corp Historic Half in the spring and had no problems at all, not even with the brutal hills at the end. I had a great time - I loved it! But the idea of doubling that distance terrifies me. I was nervous before my first 10K, my first ten miler and my first half, but only because I wanted to do well. My fear with the marathon is I'll sign up, do all the training, and then not be able to finish. Did anyone else feel this way before their first one? Do you think this means mentally I'm not ready yet?
                            I've already registered for my 1st marathon attempt in Dec. Not really scared at all. I have plenty of time to prepare. I was in pursuit of sub-20 5k until a few months ago, but I was going nowhere. I need a new goal so I want to BQ and kiss the Wellesley girls Smile BTW, training for my Marathon actually has made much better at my 5k, so my sub-20 goal has been revived. You can choose either the Nike slogan or the Adidas slogan: Just do it or Impossible is Nothing.

RIP, Henry, my soul mate

Thank you, everyone, for your replies. OK, I'm going to do it, and your advice has helped me decide. I love this site. I only get a chance to check in every few weeks, but when I do, y'all always set me straight! Please keep your fingers crossed for a sub-4:30, wherever I decide to do this!!

RIP, Henry, my soul mate

Doubling the half distance seemed daunting to me also. I wasn't mentally ready. I was scared of failure till... I ran a 24 miler in training. I knew then that I was ready.
                                Yup, Ricky, you've nailed it. Fear of failure. That's exactly what I've been afraid of and couldn't name it. Now that it has a name, I know I can face it.