Can you top this? (Read 1355 times)

Hey, nice marmot!

So this one had just way too much “wtf-itude” not to share. My story begins about 18.5 miles into my planned 22 mile long run on Sunday morning. It’s a little after 11am and I’m chugging along at my pokey pace. Anyway, it would seem that after having covered over 18 miles my form had degraded a bit. Specifically, I wasn’t picking up my feet as much as I should. How do I know this? Well, I came upon an uneven piece of sidewalk. My back foot catches and does not come forward as planned, however my center of mass continued moving. Going down. Onto a concrete sidewalk. Ouch. Of course, this occurs right by a traffic light at an “intersection” of a somewhat busy road and a Target parking lot. So, my crash is witnessed by at least a dozen cars stopped at this light. Excellent, I’d been hoping for an audience. Thanks, I’ll be here all week. Well, I pick myself back up and begin to assess my current state. Concrete always hurts, but I was happy to discover that I didn’t seem to be bleeding. I began to gather the stuff I was carrying that had been launched out of my hands upon impact (water bottle, key, etc). I had to admit I was a little surprised that NOBODY who saw me go down asked if I was ok. I say a little surprised because I’m currently living in southern Maryland. If you’ve never been here, there is a distinct “’Cause f@ck you, that’s why!” attitude that prevails here. But that’s fine, screw those people, I can take care of myself. But what happened next really got me and it’s the reason I’m recounting this story. As I’m picking my stuff up, a young lady who was stopped at the light (about 10 yards from me) and waiting to turn into Target shouts at me “F@ck you bitch! You need to learn how to walk where you be at motherf@cka!” What?! She thought I was walking?! Weeeep. In all fairness though, she had a point. I really do need to learn how to walk where I be at. Point taken. Wait a minute, f@ck me?! F@ck me?! This woman watches me fall down on a concrete sidewalk and her response is to aggress toward me?! WTF? At the time, I was kinda pissed because concrete HURTS and I had a nice little shot of adrenaline from my few seconds of frantically speeding up and trying to avoid the fall by catching up to my center of gravity. I was about to sprint over to her car so we could discuss her thoughts further. However, a little voice encouraged me to finish my run and finally knock out those 22. (I’d been trying to hit a 22 mile long run for the past couple weeks with no success (long story)) I think I owe that little voice a beer. Had I gone over to her car, I probably would have committed a felony (or gotten shot). Either one would have prevented me from finally finishing those damn 22 miles. Well, that’s my story. I think it’s fun how people can still impress and surprise me with the depths of their a$$holity. Thanks for readin’ all that. As a reward, enjoy sleepy bunny. Probably time for a nap anyway.

Ben

"The world is my country, science is my religion."-- Christiaan Huygens

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Wow, that's pretty bad! I can't top that! The one time I was surprised was when I was 16 and slid off the road during a rainstorm. I ended up crashing into a light pole not far from the edge of a lake. I was OK, but pretty shaken up. I was in clear view of the fairly busy street, and not a single person stopped to see if anyone needed help.

#artbydmcbride

{{{{Ben}}}} It sucks to fall! I hope you aren't too sore today. Congrats on the 22 miler! That's awesome!

Runners run

#artbydmcbride

Oh and here is bunny in a fridge to help make you feel better.

Runners run

Nice work on the 22 miler. Welcome to America.

Run to Win
            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Hey, nice marmot!

Ha ha fridge bunny! Nice shop. Seriously though, you should keep rabbits away from your fridge. They will drink ALL your beer and not leave you any. Then later, they always deny doing it. Appreciate your concern. I'm feeling surprisingly good today. My left shoulder is a bit sore, but that's pretty much it. Falling down. How embarassing! How old am I, 6?? What's next? Do I spill a gallon of milk because "it's too full"?

Ben

Corrected...
                Welcome to the Northeast.

Vim

Why is it sideways?

Whatever, dude. He's from southern Maryland. Of course, to you not from Texas probly means Northeast. I've run across my fair share of asswipes here in sunny, friendly Tennessee.

Falling down. How embarassing! How old am I, 6?? What's next? Do I spill a gallon of milk because "it's too full"?
                    If it makes you feel any better I fall pretty regularly on my runs, as do a lot of the guys I train with. Granted, it's not on concrete; we have nice soft dirt and roots and rocks and things like that to land on...and the only crowd tends to be fellow runners and some random animals.

Run to Win
                    25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Hey, nice marmot!

Whatever, dude. He's from southern Maryland.
                      Hey, hey, HEY!! I am NOT from southern Maryland, I'm just living here now for employment. In fact, I take great pride in not being from here.

Ben

Insert witty title here

Glad to hear you're ok after the fall and no I definitely can't top that! But I can sympathize with you (anyone from Maryland please earmuff it right now). A few weeks ago my alma mater (MTSU) hosted Maryland's football team and there were a surprising number of people who made the trip down to watch as we crushed them Smile What really surprised me was how much not only their players, but also their fans were grade A a-holes. I mean when you're outnumbered by thousands of people, maybe that isn't the best time to run your mouth like you own the place.. especially when you're losing. Fortunately we were comforted by the thought of them cussing for that long drive back home while we were out celebrating Tongue Oh, and here ya go:

ThomasRuns Blog
                        Twitter

"The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do." - [Walter Bagehot]

Glad you're doing ok! Don't we all fall down at some point when we're running!? It's not just you! And it's usually when someone's around. Last winter during one of the first days the ice stayed around, I was running on our bike trail. No one around. Anywhere. I was all alone and then I took a spill on the ice and wouldn't you know, there was a lady walking toward me. It hurt like the bajeebers, so I didn't attempt to get up / act cool/ deny I just looked like an idiot. By the time I was up, she was right next to me. Unlike your experience, though, she asked if I was ok. I didn't see anyone the rest of the run. Roll eyes So don't feel bad! I think we've all been there! Regarding the lady who yelled at you, just be happy you're not her. Can you imagine how *her* days go!? Yikes.

Hey, nice marmot!

What really surprised me was how much not only their players, but also their fans were grade A a-holes. I mean when you're outnumbered by thousands of people, maybe that isn't the best time to run your mouth like you own the place.. especially when you're losing.
                            Rest assured, they probably had guns.

Ben

Why is it sideways?

Hey, hey, HEY!! I am NOT from southern Maryland, I'm just living here now for employment. In fact, I take great pride in not being from here.
                              Does this mean that you take great pride in being from NE Ohio? Wonders never cease.

Hey, nice marmot!

Does this mean that you take great pride in being from NE Ohio?
                                I'm not sure exactly how one would imply the other. I must admit though that living in southern Maryland has given me a new appreciation for the land of the buckeye.

Ben