Superstitions and Pre-Race Rituals (Read 272 times)

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

I'm not religious... but I do spend some time the night before the race gathering more info on it than is really useful- elevation and course maps, results in prior years going back a decade, types of surfaces, race reports from past years, potential traffic patterns and various weather forecasts in meaningless hourly specifications. It sounds pretty reasonable, but experience has taught me that very little of the information I gather has any effect on my actual performance and I am mostly doing it as a calming ritual.

It works out better when I do the research for someone else and am forced to provide a bullet point race day plan. People seem to like that.

Omg, this is totally me.  I spend hours Googling people's blogs in hopes of finding many race reports on whatever race I'm doing just so I can get an idea of what to expect.

Julia1971

I have not seen my good luck charm - my neighbor's cat named Karma - in weeks and my race times are plummeting.  I seriously might have figure out how to bait this cat into swinging by my place more often.  Time to start putting some canned tuna outside my door.

zonykel

I have not seen my good luck charm - my neighbor's cat named Karma - in weeks and my race times are plummeting.  I seriously might have figure out how to bait this cat into swinging by my place more often.  Time to start putting some canned tuna outside my door.

I don't think cats go for canned tuna. Just get regular cat food instead.

Imminent Catastrophe

I always wipe my butt with a SportShield towelette. But I guess that's more practical preparation than ritual. Because if I don't...ouch.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

zonykel

I always wipe my butt with a SportShield towelette. But I guess that's more practical preparation than ritual. Because if I don't...ouch.

Yes, a chapped ass is no fun.