Do you run with faster people? (Read 953 times)

Slow-smooth-fast

Since being out for what seemed forever with injury I have been steadily upping my miles. I have also been going out with a few friends who want to get into running. The thing is, whilst running with them I have rediscovered how enjoyable running can be as when I go with them it is at a very slow and comfortable pace. This all changed yesterday when I went out with my brother who is very fit. We set out at a fast pace (for me) and I ended up doing a 5k TT. I did it in 20:02. I was happy seeing as though I have been injured and I didnt expect to get this close to 20 mins. We ended up doing 7 miles in total at 7 in mile pace. The thing is it really helped running with him as he was always ahead of me and he pushed me to go faster and faster. Do you guys run with others who are faster? My last mile of the initial 5k was 5:55, and I recall my bro just running past me and way beyond me at a comfortable pace. Unbelievable, but it made me push harder. He said to me literally, "You need to push yourself more often. Stop being a pussy" Get some balls and run hard until you are dying on your hard days!" Do you guys agree with this? I want to ultimately break 40 mins for 10k, and I dont think I am going to do it on just long slow miles. Should I do a session so intense with my bro once a week?What are your thoughts and personal experiences of running with faster others?

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

I did pretty much the same thing with a guy on my team a week or two ago. The thing is, he didn't call it "pushing himself", he called it "letting loose". To be completely honest, I felt horrible during the run, but, in the end, it was pretty satisfying (I don't know know you feel about it). Of course, we also do workouts on the track a few times a week (4X400 with 200 meter intervals, stuff like that). I guess my point is, it is definitely a good thing about once a week. Like I said, we do speed workouts once or twice a week, and no-one is getting injured or anything (if that is what you are asking). Our coach also always says that you are getting better when you are pushing yourself even when you are wicked tired during the workout. Just think, you'll be able to keep up with him no problem soon enough! I dunno, I guess I am relating track to road running, and I really have no clue if that is "legal". I'd say go for it, but, really, what do I know? Good luck breaking 40 minutes!
      PRs: 1000: 3:01 1 Mile: 4:55 2 Mile: 10:55 2009 Goals: Sub 4:50 mile, 2:50 1000 meter, Good first real XC season

SMART Approach

NO! NO! All out efforts are racing. You shouldn't be dying in work outs. Save races for racing. You have no business doing these hard work outs just coming off an injury. Right now you need to get your miles up without worry too much about intensity. You can start adding some quick striders and slow tempo pace miles now 3 miles working up to 5 miles in time at 7:15 - 7:25 pace (if you can run a 20 min 5K now) and soon some fast tempo or critical velocity intervals but get your base back up and progress slowly. There is no rush. You just can't jump into all this fast stuff. The last thing you need to do is get injured again! You have plenty of talent to break 40 min in due time. http://www.peakrunningperformance.com/docs/Critical_Velocity.htm

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

“Get some balls and run hard until you are dying on your hard days!" What a crock. I’d suggest working out with your brother only when you plan on racing. That’s what he is doing—racing his training. Always running “until you are dying” on hard days is a great way to not live up to your potential. You might get some quick results his way, but you will plateau much sooner and reach a lower peak ---that is if you are lucky enough to avoid injury before then. It’s a very common misconception that your brother has. Of course you have to incorporate some faster running into your training if you want to race well, but there’s a difference between running hard and running hard enough. I’m a big believer in doing workouts that are consistent with current fitness level and saving my best for the races. The time to run “hard until you are dying” is when you put on a number and enter a race. I went from a 21:30 5k to a 39:22 10k within 3 years while almost never doing goal paced workouts or even as fast as current 5k race pace. Most of my gains have come from mileage plus workouts in 10k-Marathon pace range. What gives me great confidence is to do a good strong workout and walk away knowing I could have a done a little more if I'd wanted to--much more so than having that wasted feeling. When I started my push I was 59 years old and am 62 now. It’s all about consistency—putting in the miles week after week, and consistently doing workouts that are hard enough to facilitate improvement but easy enough that you can consistently do them and have something left for your races. I’m sure that it won’t take you as long at your age, but the point is that you are better off not trying to force your training. It’s the consistency that’s going help you continuously improve much more than these “super hero” workouts that your brother thinks you need to be doing. In you case I think you have gone to extremes, with the MAF training being one extreme and running yourself into the ground like you did before you got hurt the other extreme. I believe that something in between those 2 extremes would work better and probably be more fun too.
          Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
            There's a difference between just racing, and challenging yourself. I know that I enjoy running by myself but sometimes I can get a little complacent (and I hate to admit, lazy), so I like to regularly run with one of the faster guys in the club (I'm a female) who I know will push me just enough, but not too much. He gets the best results out of me, but I don't end up injured or totally spent. If you go bat out of hell crazy at this, you're only going to get injured again so be careful. At the end of the day, most of us run just because we love it...not necessarily to get faster.

uncontrollable

Sometimes but not on a regular basis. For short distances I would go with someone 30-40 seconds faster pace and for a long run maybe 15-20 seconds faster. Anything more for me and I would worry about injury. That's just me.

peace

kcam

I agree with Jim's advice. Chasing someone who is faster than you are will lead to some amazing times for you. Just do it at races.

A Saucy Wench

I run with people who are faster than me once a week, but I dont run all out. I run a little faster. Like a tempo run. It makes it easier( more fun) to do the tempo run, but trying to keep up with them would kill me. Your brothers advice of going all out is crap. Thats what races are for. ESPECIALLY since you are coming back from injury.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Slow-smooth-fast

Thanks for all the replies, I think you are right. I shouldnt have gone that hard, but if I should just save it for races then, this could have been considered a race no? I am still building my mileage and this is what worked best for me in the past. I will continue with this and throw in a tempo run but at a more suitable pace. Keep the comments coming

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

Did I imply that you should be running all out? If I did, I apologize. Clowning around I'm the idiot if that's the case. You should always save your best for the races. I agree with Jim's advice, don't run at race pace, but it can't hurt (only help) to incorporate faster runs into your regiment. Again, I apologize if I sounded like your brother, who is wrong (but, I did, however, say that I am relating two things that may or may not be apples and oranges). Another thing I wasn't really clear on is whether or not you were running at a race pace with your brother. I don't know, I'm just trying to offer friendly advice (wow, maybe I should shut the heck up...) Bottom Line: Jim is right, listen to him...
                      PRs: 1000: 3:01 1 Mile: 4:55 2 Mile: 10:55 2009 Goals: Sub 4:50 mile, 2:50 1000 meter, Good first real XC season

A Saucy Wench

Thanks for all the replies, I think you are right. I shouldnt have gone that hard, but if I should just save it for races then, this could have been considered a race no?
                        Well....if you are solidly back in your base back from injury, have gently incoporated some tempos and other speedwork to timidly assess your body's readiness to return to speed (as I recall hard speedwork was related to your injury?) ..in otherwords, if there was a race to run, you would be ready to race it... and you have no races that you can find for a long period of time, then I suppose you can "race" your brother. I couldnt find any races between the first week in January and March so once in Feb I went out at my then current 10K pace for 6-7 miles to stride it out (which still wasnt full out - a month later I ran about :25/mile faster at a real race). But it really was a weekend that I would have raced if I could have found one. A "pseudo-race" In otherwords...not too often, and it better be worth it! Personally, I'd wait for the race.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Feeling the growl again

A good way to get the benefit of the faster runner without killing yourself is with a fast-finish progression run. Do a comfortable moderate run with them, then have them pull you through the last mile. You can get some good gains with such runs, and since you are accelerating through the last mile you're only at a truly hard effort for maybe half of that. For years I did my intervals with faster guys. Helped me a lot.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I run with my brother in law who is about 50 pounds lighter than I am and can really move when he wants to but has a tendancy to burn himself out. It might sound a little simplistic but I always run behind him and try to keep up with him and he tries to slow down just enough that I keep up. We end up faster than I would normally go on my own and he is a little slower. I get speed and he gets distance.

My sport's your sport's punishment

2012 goals

100 Km month         150 K month      200K month

5K run    10K run     20K run              30K run

sub 30 min 5K         sub 55min 10K

Why is it sideways?

Eddie, I think it's a good thing every now and then to run with faster folks--and with slower folks. By the way, you might check out this post from Nate Jenkins on how to structure 10k training. You can't reach your potential just running easy or just running hard. The key is to blend hard and easy running intelligently.

dork.major dork.

I run with my brother in law who is about 50 pounds lighter than I am and can really move when he wants to but has a tendancy to burn himself out. It might sound a little simplistic but I always run behind him and try to keep up with him and he tries to slow down just enough that I keep up. We end up faster than I would normally go on my own and he is a little slower. I get speed and he gets distance.
                                This is how I work out speed differences with most of my running buddies, by rotating who is in front (either at different points in the run, when we are evenly matched, or usually putting the slower person in front and having them be "gently chased"). It's good for me to have someone who can hold me to an easy long run pace, and it's good for them to have someone around who really wants to go for a few more miles. It would be good if I had someone who was a little faster than me and pulled me along from time to time... Hmm.

Reaching 1,243 in 2008 -- one day, one week, one mile at a time.