Altitude Training Paces (Read 238 times)

skiing llama

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Still a good read.

The  article gave absolutely no training advice to altitude running other than noting the natural adaptation after living for a year in such a climate.

That does absolutely nothing for improving performance of anyone who doesn't have the luxury to live in Peru for a year.

For those of us who live at lower altitude, then one has to have a better understanding of biology than what the article barfs.

It requires a focus on the most efficient technique possible to decrease oxygen need and consumption during any racing event.

It requires an understanding of right ventricle training to improve blood flow through your entire body to improve oxygen availability.

The article is more advertising than it is advice.

• Black Canyon 100k
        • RRR
        • Zane Grey 100k
        • High Lonesome 100
        • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
        • The Bear 100
        • Javelina Jundred (?)

Feeling the growl again

The article is more advertising than it is advice.

Sounds like the typical sport jester post.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

bhearn

Sounds like the typical sport jester post.

You didn't catch the output I posted above from my "typical sport jester post" generator? Here's some more. (But really, the skiing ostriches are awesome; I can't beat that.)

-------------

Even more boring is your inability to discredit what I use with my ears ringing into the next day, threatened with arrest, not to mention prove who the real fool truly is.

And if you could it would take to accomplish the overheating goal.

Even morons such as Lieberman admit that we were once quadrupeds, which is of course you can write me privately to have a better walker. And that skill is determined by your ability to carry 20% of their bodyweight with no increase in oxygen level consumption to improve my running technique, his answer was to turn around and walk off leaving me running on the treadmill.

I wanted to reply that the article that I posted does address the original post with regards to breaking the race effort and race pace workout into two separate workouts when training at altitude but after seeing X's pictures I will instead just state that this thread has become epic. My appologies to the OP that your thread has been hijacked by SJ but people riding osterichs? Awesome.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

I wanted to reply that the article that I posted does address the original post with regards to breaking the race effort and race pace workout into two separate workouts when training at altitude but after seeing X's pictures I will instead just state that this thread has become epic. My appologies to the OP that your thread has been hijacked by SJ but people riding osterichs? Awesome.

Hijacked??????

How is answering the OP's question hijacking?

Funny that I'm not the one posting stupid pictures or videos, and I'm accused of hijacking...

Especially since everyone I teach actually runs faster, which nobody else here can claim, let alone prove...

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

Feeling the growl again

You didn't catch the output I posted above from my "typical sport jester post" generator? 

The generator is directionally accurate but lacks authentic flavor.  There is no claiming of proof then ducking behind the "SEALs are my proof but I can't talk about it" shield.  No delusions of grandeur where the entire world is conspiring against him but the problem HAS to be the world...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Hijacked??????

How is answering the OP's question hijacking?

Funny that I'm not the one posting stupid pictures or videos, and I'm accused of hijacking...

Especially since everyone I teach actually runs faster, which nobody else here can claim, let alone prove...

I don't think anyone has answered my original question which relates more to muscle preparation (ability for muscles to perform at X pace for Y duration) than altitude acclimatization.

• Black Canyon 100k
                    • RRR
                    • Zane Grey 100k
                    • High Lonesome 100
                    • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                    • The Bear 100
                    • Javelina Jundred (?)
                    sport jester

Biomimeticist

There is no muscle preparation; that's what you're dealing with.

Altitude racing is compensation for the lack of oxygen available. You can't prepare any muscle for it.

That's my point; cultures who live at high altitude adapt by the natural increase in white blood cells, which is the only way your body can physically prepare, and that's something you can't impact by anything you do other than expose yourself to the barometric pressure differences which trigger the cell number increase.

If you want to better understand the science of high altitude, I'd suggest you follow the research of the Natick Center, which is the Army's high altitude research group.

http://www.defense.gov/News/NewsArticle.aspx?ID=45837

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3114153/

Their research is of much greater value to you (and me) than anything anyone else here can offer you.

As for the cultures who live there naturally, the biggest difference is how they move to conserve oxygen needs compared to how inept you are in contrast to their skills. They expend far less energy per step than you do because they don't have the luxury of having oxygen to waste.

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

I'm racing at sea level.

There is no muscle preparation; that's what you're dealing with.

Altitude racing is compensation for the lack of oxygen available. You can't prepare any muscle for it.

That's my point; cultures who live at high altitude adapt by the natural increase in white blood cells, which is the only way your body can physically prepare, and that's something you can't impact by anything you do other than expose yourself to the barometric pressure differences which trigger the cell number increase.

The rest is all in how they move. They expend far less energy per step than you do because they don't have the luxury of having oxygen to waste.

• Black Canyon 100k
                        • RRR
                        • Zane Grey 100k
                        • High Lonesome 100
                        • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                        • The Bear 100
                        • Javelina Jundred (?)
                        sport jester

Biomimeticist

Altitude doesn't matter; its that the techniques these cultures use can be utilized. And if you were to take them seriously, you'd be running 20% faster.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

http://www.usariem.army.mil/index.cfm/about/locations/Natick

A great reference source for anyone interested in the subject beyond what any runner here thinks they know.

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Altitude doesn't matter; its that the techniques these cultures use can be utilized. And if you were to take them seriously, you'd be running 20% faster.

Is this how you train or coach? Can you share your successes in getting ppl to run 20% faster using this?  If so, you'll have a line of ppl wanting your help.

• Black Canyon 100k
                              • RRR
                              • Zane Grey 100k
                              • High Lonesome 100
                              • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                              • The Bear 100
                              • Javelina Jundred (?)

They tested clean for their records. The accusation of doping is pure BS.

Because the only way anyone will ever beat their records is to have a better understanding of how deer and ostriches run.  I would think asking US track and field who their expert in ostrich biomechanics is would be a better use of your time.

Especially when the maggot brained idiot on their board of directors with the title of "High Performance Programs" manager,didn't even know who Ma was when I asked him.

I just want to point out that Ma Junren was discredited after his athletes started testing positive for being part of one of the biggest and most sophisticated state-sponsored doping scandals in history, and that the running universe considers it a travesty that those records are still on the books.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus