Clear out your history on your Garmin Forerunner (Read 497 times)

I probably am the last to know this, but in case I'm not, here's a tip.

If it's taking a while to upload your data from your garmin to RA, clear out the history on your watch. What used to take me 30-45 seconds or more to upload is now taking me less than 3 seconds.

Who knew?

RA no longer needs to scan all the history that was stored on my watch and now uploads way quicker.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

How do you do it?  I've tried to figure mine out, but can't.  I just have a 110, but it seems to be a complicated sequence that I can't get to work.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

an amazing likeness

Many of the Forerunner models have the ability to easily delete anything older than 30 days (Menu > History > Run > Delete > Keep 30 days > ok)

For the Forerunner 110/210, Garmin says do this:

1. Press and hold page/menu button until menu appears
        2. Select OK on History
        3. Press up or down button to locate activity to be deleted
        4. Press start/stop and lap/reset simultaneously
        5. Release on buttons once Delete Activity message appears
        6. Press OK on Yes
        7. A message Delete all activities? will appear*
        8. If wanting to delete all activities, select Yes

How do you do it?  I've tried to figure mine out, but can't.  I just have a 110, but it seems to be a complicated sequence that I can't get to work.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

mikeymike

You didn't used to be able to delete all activities on the 110/210 but that feature was added in a software update. I just updated to get it. Jackpot.

Runners run

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Milk...Thanks.  I'm guessing I don't have the appropriate update because I don't get the delete all option.  I do upload to Garmin Connect so I had assumed the updates were automatic, but I'll look to see if there's something else I can do.

an amazing likeness

If you want to update the on-board software (aka 'firmware' and 'gps software') in the watch, use the Garmin WebUpdater software. Garmin Connect doesn't push updates to the device.

Ignore that bad advise -- I guess the ANT devices don't get updated via WebUpdater.

Milk...Thanks.  I'm guessing I don't have the appropriate update because I don't get the delete all option.  I do upload to Garmin Connect so I had assumed the updates were automatic, but I'll look to see if there's something else I can do.

mikeymike

Runners run

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Thanks for the help guys.  I found that I was able to delete all 190 activities through the Garmin folder after it was connected with the USB.  Maybe now I can actually upload a run straight to RA.  I've never been able to do it before and have just entered everything manually.

an amazing likeness

You definitely should be able to upload directly to RA, or even both RA and Garmin Connect if you desire.  History data shouldn't impact whether uploading to RA works -- clearing history just makes everything faster as the device spends less time transferring data and the target site (be it RA, GC or other) spends less time sorting through all the recorded runs to figure out which is new and which has been previously uploaded.

Thanks for the help guys.  I found that I was able to delete all 190 activities through the Garmin folder after it was connected with the USB.  Maybe now I can actually upload a run straight to RA.  I've never been able to do it before and have just entered everything manually.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

You definitely should be able to upload directly to RA, or even both RA and Garmin Connect if you desire.  History data shouldn't impact whether uploading to RA works -- clearing history just makes everything faster as the device spends less time transferring data and the target site (be it RA, GC or other) spends less time sorting through all the recorded runs to figure out which is new and which has been previously uploaded.

I'll admit to being technologically inept.  I think the problem was that I had previous entered everything manually.  Then, when I tried to upload to RA from the Garmin, it wanted to double up what I had already entered.  I didn't want to risk screwing up my prior data, so instead of taking the time to actually figure it out, I just kept doing everything manually.

Clear out your history on your Garmin Forerunner

I'm safe -- my wife never checks it.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Zelanie

Go here to update: https://my.garmin.com/mygarmin/dashboard/dashboard.htm

Aargh, I saw the link and decided it had been a while since I had updated my Garmin, so I went there.  The ANT Agent has downloaded the update, but the update to the watch keeps failing.  It tries again every 1 minute and keeps failing, plus my watch keeps vibrating every minute.  I have an email in to support, but it's the weekend.  Anybody experience this before?

Supersono99

How do I do that? My Garmin auto uploads to my Garmin Connect when I place it near the computer and then I manually go the RA and have it upload with the garmin connector. Is that what you mean by upload directly or is there a way for RA to gather my info when my Garmin is near the computer also?

Docket_Rocket

You are able to upload it directly to RA once you have uploaded into Garmin connect, unless you have  Fenix, in which case I would say to save the workout on your computer and then upload into RA.

I think the RA log only asks for permission to take the information from Garmin Connect.

I'll admit to being technologically inept.  I think the problem was that I had previous entered everything manually.  Then, when I tried to upload to RA from the Garmin, it wanted to double up what I had already entered.  I didn't want to risk screwing up my prior data, so instead of taking the time to actually figure it out, I just kept doing everything manually.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

an amazing likeness

What I didn't mean to imply was "automatically" as you describe about Garmin Connect. (which I don't experience. In GC I have to click on an "upload" link in the upper right).

What I was sharing was that in your RA log, you should be able to click on "Upload from GPS" and have the data come in directly.

How do I do that? My Garmin auto uploads to my Garmin Connect when I place it near the computer and then I manually go the RA and have it upload with the garmin connector. Is that what you mean by upload directly or is there a way for RA to gather my info when my Garmin is near the computer also?