Recommendations on learning more about shoes (Read 34 times)

Hey - I tried searching here but no luck (which I completely blame on my lack of search skills, and the fact that I'm looking for general information about shoes) The basis for my request is that I want to become better educated and not addicted to a particular shoe that I then cannot find when they change the models!

So here goes: I've restarted running again after a few years off. I am currently about 35-40 pounds overweight.  I ran in my old shoes for a bit (brooks trance 8) but seeing as I had two half-marathons coming up I thought I should replace them so I went into a convenient running shop and tried out what they suggested and bought one (Saucony, powergrid hurricane 14). I looked it up and it's a stability shoe.

I dug out an old pair of shoes (saucony echelon 2s?) that I found during our move and they are "cushioning" shoes. I ran in them yesterday just to see what it was like and aside from feeling heavier I also noticed my calves were more tired after 5k than in the other shoe. Correlation not being equal to causation it occurred to me that I don't really know what "stability" or "cushioning" or "neutral" means, or anything about my feet (except they are different sizes and one is noticeably flatter than the other) so I thought I should learn. 

So where would you direct a newbie? A running book? a book/website on feet? an appointment with my family doc? 

Thanks

Sponsor me! I'm raising money for the Red Door Family Shelter at the Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Half Marathon Oct 19, 2014

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

Was the store you went to a specialty running store or more of a general sporting goods shop?  Did they do a gait analysis--it's nothing scary they just have you take off your shoes, roll up your  pant legs and walk on a hard surface, then put you in some shoes and watch you run a bit. If not, find a specialty running store that does that. They will probably be able to recommend a shoe that will work for you. Ask a lot of questions.

Once you start running regularly, your gait may change as your feet and lower legs become stronger, so you should go back for a fitting several times until you start to see some consistency in what type (motion control, stability, cushioned, lightweight, etc.) of shoe works best for you.

Runners run.

Thanks mikeymike - yep. A specialty running shop that I ran up and down a bunch of times, with and without shoes. So that's the gait analysis I guess.

Does that mean that - granted, only for right now when I'm running between 35 and 50 km a week - that I should stick with, if not the exact shoe, something pretty similar? i.e. another stability shoe?

Sponsor me! I'm raising money for the Red Door Family Shelter at the Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Half Marathon Oct 19, 2014

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362