Moons over My Hammy....... (Read 1198 times)

Moondog

My favorite Denny's breakfast. Unfortunately, I'm here to report my first ever hamstring injury. I didn't do it running but did it playing softball. Playing center field. Some guy hit one deep, I took off in a sprint and about 10 strides into it felt a nice strong twinge. Even when I walk slowly, it's a little uncomfortable. I've never pulled a hammy before. 38 years old and was extremely active in sports up until about 2-3 years ago. I took up running 2 months ago and am wondering if maybe that has something to do with this injury. I was never a runner before. I ran 5 miles on Sunday. In my post-run stretch, I do recall a strange feeling in my hamstring almost like it was about to cramp up but it didn't. So, a few questions I hope can be answered... 1) How do I treat this? It doesn't seem too severe...definitely not a tear or major pull. (at least I don't think) 2) What could have caused this? -- relative inactivity for 2-3 years and all of the sudden I'm running 10-11 miles per week? -- it was a little chilly tonight but definitely not cold. -- i'm getting old? 3) When I do come back I reduce the miles for a while to give my legs a chance to adjust? Also, I'm wondering if I'm stretching enough after my run. Hope this heals quickly. I get to go to Dodger Stadium next Wednesday and take batting practice and shag fly balls in the outfield. I was totally psyched. I can still swing the bat but I have a feeling running around in the outfield may be out of the question. Thanks everyone....
      Regarding #1 - if you are stretching pre-run, stop. When my hamstring is sore - I don't stretch post-run either. I just make sure to run easy (very) for the next few days and it will normally ease back to un-sore. Don't do any sort of speedwork or other fast running. You may want to look at preventative measures like some hamstring related exercises and/or muscle imbalances. #2 - Sounds like the injury was already done or in the making after your five miler. The sprinting at softball just aggravated it enough for you to notice it. #3 - I wouldn't hesitate to run if it doesn't hurt (sore yes - hurt no) while running and if it goes away while running easy. Personally, I would totally stop stretching my legs until the soreness goes away - while continuing to run very easy. Check out some of the previous threads on hamstring injuries and recovery. One Two Three Several others out there, too.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Check out some of the previous threads on hamstring injuries and recovery. One Two Three
        As the not-so proud owner of two of the three threads that Bonkin cited, I can tell you he is right on the money with the no-cold-stretching thing. You also shouldn't try to stretch the muscle until after it heals. I've made mild hamstring problems much worse by stretching the injured muscle. My current hamstring problems are mostly due to old injuries -- hamstring pulls playing flag football and running a corporate challenge 4x400 relay come to mind. Hate to say it, but recreational sports like softball are pulls waiting to happen -- you're probably not warmed up, and your legs aren't used to suddenly sprinting from a dead stop. Some other recommendations: 1) Ice after you run 2) after you've healed some, get a good sports massage 3) Use stretch bands, such as the ones found here so strengthen your hamstrings. 4) Move to right field. Fewer balls to shag. Bonkin is also correct in saying that you can run though hamstring soreness (but not pain) so long as you take it nice and easy.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Gig

38 years old, and your first hammy? Me, too, a week ago last Sunday. I took five days off, ran a five-mile race I had already signed up for at a really slow pace (emotionally painful, but the hammy wasn't bad), slow again on Sunday, and regular easy training pace on Monday. Today is Tuesday, and I managed a pretty aggressive training run. So, basically, what Bonkin said. From reading posts in this forum, I knew not to stretch the injury. Stretching SEEMS like the obvious thing to do. So here's a question. If the hamstring starts feeling sore (close to the knee, if that makes a difference) while I'm running, I can put some pressure on it with my hand. It got me thinking, is there anything out there to use for pressure while I'm running--like a knee brace, but for hamstrings? Would using something like that be a good idea? Thanks, Gig
            I just learned a lot from this thread! Sorry to hear about your pain Moondog. I can totally sympathize with you as I'm dealing with a hamstring issue at the moment. I have been super foolish and have been stretching a lot and mine is taking a long time to get better. Now that I know, I'll quit with the stretching and see what difference it makes.

Michelle

Moondog

38 years old, and your first hammy? Gig
              Yep...and I was extremely active in sports up until about 34-35. Tons of basketball, baseball, racketball....you name it. And I was NEVER into stretching. I always joked with my friends who would do hardcore stretching before any physical activity and always seemed to be nursing some type of injury. The good news is that my hammy seems to be healing pretty quickly. Less than 48 hours and I can almost walk normally (and I walk pretty fast) without too much discomfort. I think I'll be doing some light jogging come the weekend!
              jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

If the hamstring starts feeling sore (close to the knee, if that makes a difference) while I'm running, I can put some pressure on it with my hand. It got me thinking, is there anything out there to use for pressure while I'm running--like a knee brace, but for hamstrings? Would using something like that be a good idea?
                You can buy compression sleeves for hamstrings, but they're designed for the meatier part of the hamstring as opposed to down near the knee. When I'm having problems, I wear one and find it to be very helpful. Not only are strains less likely, but the sleeve (usually neoprene, so no breatheability) helps keep the muscle very warm. Along those lines, compression shorts are also recommended for giving extra support to the hammies and keeping them warm.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.