With a year to train for my first full, what to do? (Read 240 times)

Mmmmm...beer

I've been running for almost a year now, and have decided to do the Shamrock full next year for my first official full marathon.  So far I've been doing all easy base building, with no speed work at all.  I worked my long run up to a 26.25 mile impromptu marathon in December, which I ran in 3:32:21.  That run was just a comfortable long run and didn't destroy me, but it did give me a healthy respect for the distance.  So at that point, I decided that I would wait a while to run my first full and shoot for a BQ (3:15).  On advice given at the time, I capped my long run to 15-16 miles to focus on my goal half, which I ran on Sunday in 1:28:10.

My current plan is to just keep building my base, increase my long run again, and start doing tempos.  Maybe some intervals too to work on my 5k times.  Then this fall, assess my fitness level and roll into a dedicated marathon plan to prep for the Shamrock next March.  Just wondering if that's the best use of my time, or if there's anything you would do differently with a year to work with?  Should I look to cap my weekly mileage/long run at some point, or just keep building at a comfortable rate?

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

I will let the others that are more knowledgeable tell you how to train.  But, with a 1:28:10 half you should be able to run a full under 3:15 with no problem, I'm not really sure you have to wait a year.

If you are going to wait a year for the full, build a solid base while training for whatever you run between now and then (40 to 55 mpw is probably a nice number depending on what you normally do) and then pick out one of the numerous good marathon training plans that are out there.  I have had success in the 50mpw range off season and peaking around 75 mpw for a training cycle.

Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.

Mmmmm...beer

Thanks DgRosen.  I guess I should probably add that while my overall goal is to BQ, I actually want to try to go sub-3:00, I was just afraid to say it publicly. lol

I was carrying 50mpw pretty easily through the fall, dipped a lil in January due to some IT band issues that have been resolved, and then let some extra URDs creep in during February.  Looking to get back to 50+mpw consistently and building from there.

-Dave

My running blog

I would spend the spring trying to get as fast as I could at 5k to 10k, pick a few goal races in late spring to work toward. Then I'd do a base build over the summer, aiming at a fall goal race--probably a half marathon but I'd include a bunch of tune up races at 5k to HM.

By this time next year I bet you can race a marathon at the same pace or faster than you just ran your half.

Runners run

Mmmmm...beer

Thanks Mikey.  I've got two 5ks and a 10k already on the schedule between now and June (they're in my sig), and a half scheduled for Sept 1st, possibly another in mid Oct, so that should work out well.

-Dave

My running blog

Black-Toe-Nailed

Hey mate!

If you were able to churn out a 1:28:10 HM and a 3:35 26-miler with just a year of running experience I assume that you aren't new to sport, right? Swimmer? Cyclist?

In any case: I recommend you to get a copy of Pete Pfizniger's classic "Advanced Marathoning" , it's the best reading you can possible get. 
              You will learn how to set up your own plan and explain every detail of the 26 miles distance.

If you come from a sport like the ones I mentioned before what's more important is to keep yourself injury free, thus take it easy.

Seeing what you have already achieved I don't see why you wouldn't try a sub 3:00... Kudos mate and go for it!!

--

"If one can stick to the training throughout the many long years,
              then will power is no longer a problem. It's raining? That doesn't matter.
              I am tired? That's besides the point. It's simply that I just have to."

Emil Zatopek

Right on Hereford...

I would spend the spring trying to get as fast as I could at 5k to 10k, pick a few goal races in late spring to work toward. Then I'd do a base build over the summer, aiming at a fall goal race--probably a half marathon but I'd include a bunch of tune up races at 5k to HM.

By this time next year I bet you can race a marathon at the same pace or faster than you just ran your half.

+1

Mmmmm...beer

Thanks EnricM.  I will definitely pick up a copy of Advanced Marathoning, I've seen a lot of people say good things about his plans.

I'm actually a former inactive fat guy.  Went from 270 to 185 last year by eating better and running. Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Are there any weekly 5k race series near you in the spring? If you can find one of those I think racing frequently like that could help you a lot. I kind of think your a fast guy who hasn't figured out he's fast yet. And one of the things you need is a lot more experience racing.

Runners run

kcam

Thanks DgRosen.  I guess I should probably add that while my overall goal is to BQ, I actually want to try to go sub-3:00, I was just afraid to say it publicly. lol

I was carrying 50mpw pretty easily through the fall, dipped a lil in January due to some IT band issues that have been resolved, and then let some extra URDs creep in during February.  Looking to get back to 50+mpw consistently and building from there.

Don't be afraid to put yourself out there .... join the Goal of sub-3 Marathon thread.  You are definitely a threat.  I also will +2 to what mikeymike posted.

Mmmmm...beer

Good question Mike, I'll have to check.  I do have a fair number of races on my schedule already, 16 more this year, 2 halfs, one 10k, one mile and the rest are 5ks.  These are spread out from now till December.  I definitely agree that I need more racing experience, every time I race I feel like I learn something new, and probably most importantly I'm learning how to push myself more.

Thanks Ken.  Sometimes I feel like I'm treading where I don't belong, being a new runner, and then sometimes I feel kind of like I'm bragging, and I certainly don't want to come across that way.  Part of it too is putting it out there and then falling short, but I guess that's just a chance you take when you set a goal. Smile

-Dave

My running blog

J-L-C

Exactly what I was going to suggest.

+1 to the 5k and 10k races.

Also: track! Run on the track with people and run on the track alone. The track will help you build speed for those 5k and 10k races and locking onto pace on the track alone will help you get more confident in pacing which gets more and more important as the racing distance increases.

xhristopher

I believe training on the track can be helpful, fun, and teach a lot about pacing. Just remember not to "race" your track workouts, especially as you are still building a base. There is no need and the benefits will still come.

Mmmmm...beer

Thanks delucj.  There's a track at the middle school at the end of my street, couldn't get more convenient than that.  Smile

-Dave

My running blog