How cozy is your house? (Read 607 times)

My husband and I had a "discussion" last night about what to keep our heater set at. Currently we have our home temp. programmed to stay at 66 degrees, upstairs and downstairs, day and night. I was just wondering what others keep their homes set at for the winter. Our home is old and we have hardwood floors and our front door needs to be replaced so there is a draft at times (this will be replaced in the spring). I wanted to bump the temp up to at least 68 during the day, and keep the 66 or even lower for night! And he says no. So, if you don't mind. What temp. is your house for the winter?

Michelle

Swadvad

We compromised at 68 during the day and 66 at night. Wife likes it a bit cooler, I like it a bit warmer. We went to my parents last weekend. They keep it on 78. We almost suffocated!

Team HTFU NCTR Driver

We've got the programmable thing going, but roughly 68 during the day, 58 at night. did

Neil Gunn

Gandalf the Grey

Programmable (and a bit too clever for my liking as it 'predicts' when to start up in the morning). 20 degC day and 16 degC night. Neil

Running ... just keep running!

Just keep running...

Yea, the programmable ones are the way to go.. 68 in the morning, Off during the day (My house passively heated by the sun, gets to about 74 on average), 68 in the evening, and 60 at night.
            Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Ooh, most interesting topic. I got the programmable thing going too. 6:45 - 8AM: 67 8AM - 6PM: 60 6 - 11PM: 67 11PM - 6:45AM: 62 The weekend schedule is different because I spend more time at home. I'd love to roam around the house in shorts and t-shirt, but my wallet doesn't appreciate it. So far this season, my heating bill is still below what the utility company is projecting, but we still got several months of winter here in the northeast.
              mikeymike

60 at night 68 during the day. We have a baby in the house who doesn't keep her blankets on (so we bundle her in a fleece sleeper with another set of pj's under) or we'd go a few degrees cooler at night.

Runners run

75 during the day, 72 at night with the air conditioning... though I have a feeling this question wasn't directed towards my kind Big grin
                    Programmable thermostat here too. 55 degrees when we're asleep or not home. No more than 62 degrees otherwise. We're trying to be very aggressive with fuel conversation this year.
                      Programable one here. 6-9 am 68 10am -6pm 60 After 6pm - 6 am 65 degrees

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

We have hardwood throughout and drafty windows/doors as well. Both our heaters are turned off (or down to 55) during the day, b/c we're both at work. We turn the downstairs (main floor) heater on when we get home (68-72) for a few hours before bed (while we eat and watch TV). A lot of times we'll leave it down and make a fire - we have fireplaces in the kitchen and living room. Then that gets turned back down and the upstairs heater (where the bedroom is) gets turned on (62-65) during the night. And then it turns itself up in the morning to make sure it's nice and toasty when we get out of bed. The upstairs heater/AC only goes to the master bedroom, so if we have guests over in one of the other rooms, we have to monitor their heat with the downstairs unit.

Marathonmanleto

Wake 65--day 60-- return 68--sleep 60 Can't sleep in warm house--stems from college days when we slept with windows open year round.
                          btb1490

Keep it cool! More incentive to snuggle! Smile
                            btb1490

Yea, the programmable ones are the way to go.. 68 in the morning, Off during the day (My house passively heated by the sun, gets to about 74 on average), 68 in the evening, and 60 at night.
                              Passive solar here too. I have yet to turn the heat on this season. Sitting comfortable at 68 degrees inside when it's in the 30's outside, as long as the sun is shining.
                                66 during the morning and evenings when we are home. 62 when we are at work and at ight when we are asleep.
                                http://distance-runner.blogspot.com