My Aerobic conditioning- HORRIBLE! (Read 870 times)

I'm putting this in Running 101 because I feel like a complete beginner again. Not that I was an elite before, but this is frustrating. After running Chicago, I ran sporadically due to nursing some nagging injuries. Those have mostly cleared up and so I'm trying to get back on a regular schedule of 4 runs a week. (3 shorter week day runs and a longer run on the weekend) Apparently as a result of this lay off, I've lost a lot of my aerobic conditioning. My HR can easily get into the 160's and sometimes 170's with ease. So, this week I decided to really slow it down and walk when I have to in order to keep the HR from getting above 150. I hate this running. I don't even call it running. Durning my marathon training, my Garmin fried and I lost the use of my HR monitor. I then just ran, knowing that around a 10:00 pace would put my average HR around 155. I enjoyed those runs. Once I got my Garmin back I used my HR monitor again and found that my pace was a little better and my HR was a little lower. This tends to make me think that the body will adapt the HR to be more efficient with the more miles you run regardless of whether you purposely concentrate on keeping it below a certain point or not. It just naturally adjusts. What I'm thinking now is that I should just go out and run. Concentrate more on building back my miles and ignore the HR monitor for now. I'll just run and I'll back off when I feel I'm overdoing it exertion wise. Am I faulty in this thinking? BTW, I have no training goals right now. I'll run a 10K for fun in May and probably won't do a HM until next fall. I'm really just running now to run. When I get back to 25 to 30 miles a week I'll be happy.
      If running is fun and becomes your play the odds are you will keep running for yrs/decades. So just go run. Waklk when you feel like it. Do some skipping--leap over puddles. Stop sometimes and watch kids play or birds fly overhead. If you are running for the rest of your life--there is no hurry. I say all this--even though I am a Garmin Addict. Making it fun has worked for me. I sometimes get too focused on racing and then realize I might be taking myself or my running too seriously. Enjoy your journey. Nick
      UpNorth

Your blood volume drops quickly with a lay-off (less blood, less oxygen carrying capabilities in your system, more work for your heart) but it comes back quickly as well. Your overall fitness drops off much more slowly. I had a six week lay-off this Summer and was distressed by how much early progress disappeared but it came back relatively quickly. Be patient...
          Thanks for the replies. I've been told by my wife who is certified as a personal trainer that my aerobic capactiy will come back as long as I'm getting out there and running. It's just so frustrating right now. Long Run Nick, I love my Garmin too, but I think in this case it's causing me undue stress. I might be better off leaving the HR strap at home and just plodding along, getting my miles in. UpNorth, how fast did it come back for you? I'm hoping after a month, I see improvement.

I run for Fried Chicken!

Couple of things, for me, the conditioning came a lot quicker the 2nd and 3rd time I restarted running. I had roughly a years break between my 1st attempt and my 2nd attempt and roughly a 5 month break between my 2nd and 3rd and current attempt at running. I was expecting to start from scratch again especially on the 2nd attempt because of the year long break but I found out that I still had some conditioning in me. It wasn't great by any means but it was something. As for the HR thing, I tried to do the low HR but it just wasn't working for me and it made me dislike running. So now, I still run slow but not as slow as what my HR should probably be at. It's also taken some growing up on my part to not care so much about the speed and just build up a base. I've been doing my runs at the gym at 12mm and I had to swallow my pride when I see everyone else around me running faster. I'm trying to take a long turn view of running and I know I can run faster but I also know I would get burnt out really quickly as well and I'm trying to avoid a 4th attempt at running. I know I'm slow but slow and steady wins the race. That's what they tell me at least. Tongue
            UpNorth

Thanks for the replies. I've been told by my wife who is certified as a personal trainer that my aerobic capactiy will come back as long as I'm getting out there and running. It's just so frustrating right now. Long Run Nick, I love my Garmin too, but I think in this case it's causing me undue stress. I might be better off leaving the HR strap at home and just plodding along, getting my miles in. UpNorth, how fast did it come back for you? I'm hoping after a month, I see improvement.
              I don't think it was more than 3-4 weeks. Certainly not much longer.

Think Whirled Peas

Durning my marathon training, my Garmin fried and I lost the use of my HR monitor. I then just ran, knowing that around a 10:00 pace would put my average HR around 155. I enjoyed those runs. Once I got my Garmin back I used my HR monitor again and found that my pace was a little better and my HR was a little lower.
                Sums it up right there pretty well, gg. Just hit the pavement, screw the HRM and HAVE FUN!!!! Give yourself a little time to build back up your 'runnin' legs 'n' lungs. Consistent miles, at any pace that you're comfortable with, is going to get you back. now lace 'em up, and RUN!!!! Smile

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

JakeKnight

Durning my marathon training, my Garmin fried and I lost the use of my HR monitor. I then just ran, knowing that around a 10:00 pace would put my average HR around 155. I enjoyed those runs.
                  There's a lesson in there somewhere ...
                  Sums it up right there pretty well, gg. Just hit the pavement, screw the HRM and HAVE FUN!!!! Give yourself a little time to build back up your 'runnin' legs 'n' lungs. Consistent miles, at any pace that you're comfortable with, is going to get you back. now lace 'em up, and RUN!!!! Smile
                  ... a lesson PowerofQ - who just made my top 10 posters list - has obviously already mastered.
                  I What I'm thinking now is that I should just go out and run. Concentrate more on building back my miles and ignore the HR monitor for now. I'll just run and I'll back off when I feel I'm overdoing it exertion wise. Am I faulty in this thinking?
                  There you go. Do that. Your frustration explains perfectly why I'd never even consider looking at an HRM. For me, there is no point. Whether there is for you or not is your call. But I do know that running is about joy. That's its purpose. You don't run for numbers, you run for that joy. When the numbers replace the joy, something is horribly wrong. Kill your HRM. Go run. A lot. You can always pull it out again when its time for your Olympic Qualifier.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                  -----------------------------

Prophet!

as part of the 'strapped' crew, i like having my HRM to give me feedback for comparison with perceived effort. Some days i go by perceived effort to up or lower the pace, but some days i go by HR if i feel like i'm feeling particularly wussy that day.