unique running locations (Read 1243 times)

Running on the ocean

Have you ran the North Pole Marathon? Or any other unique running locations? If yes let us know and post it right here. I'll start posting mine. I myself once ran 10 miles on top of the ocean... Surprised well, on a cruise ship that is. Big grin It was a Carnival ship which jogging path lap was 164.4 yards long. I ran 110 laps non-stop doing 10 miles on it. For some reason people looked funny at me.

You know when you're running a ultra marathon because the pain actually starts to hurt
    -- Jakob Herrmann
    my running achievements

jeffdonahue

Geez, I hope you at least changed direction half-way through. I have run on a cruise ship as well, though I didnt have 110 laps in me at the time. I think I ran about 2 miles that day.

Running on the ocean

Geez, I hope you at least changed direction half-way through. I have run on a cruise ship as well, though I didnt have 110 laps in me at the time. I think I ran about 2 miles that day.
        We were only allowed to run counter-clockwise so that's what I did. I originally planned to run a marathon but didn't find enough time between the eating session Big grin.

You know when you're running a ultra marathon because the pain actually starts to hurt
        -- Jakob Herrmann
        my running achievements

Just keep running...

Its not really unique, but I personally like running anywhere above treeline, preferably on a ridge above 12,000Ft
            I have done laps around the deck of the USS Virginia as well as the USS Nimitz.. it is quite the experience to run when the jet mechanics are turning up some jets for testing....ya wanna make sure you don't get to close to the jet intake...
            kcam

I ran a few miles on the Great Wall in China. Pretty cool but very sketchy with some seriously steep steps. The wall kinda peters out a few miles from where I started. There was a Chinese soldier there when I come running up with no shirt on. He smiled, asked me if I was MeiGuo ren (American) and offered me a cig! Had a good laugh at that one. If I had any brains I would have accepted the cig and had him fire off a pic for me, would make a great avatar.
                I myself once ran 10 miles on top of the ocean... Surprised well, on a cruise ship that is. Big grin It was a Carnival ship which jogging path lap was 164.4 yards long. I ran 110 laps non-stop doing 10 miles on it. For some reason people looked funny at me.
                I would have called security. Big grin I ran on a old train bridge that was falling apart.

Vim

Running on the ocean

Love them all but have to admit that cagery's laps around the deck of the USS Virginia as well as the USS Nimitz sounds pretty awesome.
                  I have done laps around the deck of the USS Virginia as well as the USS Nimitz..
                  cagery, anytime you need a running partner on one of those just call me up! Cool
                  I ran a few miles on the Great Wall in China.
                  campisi, how cool is that. Do you have any pictures online from that run? I would love love love running on the Great Wall in China. Congratulations on your 2:58:02 Boston finishing time in 2001! It's a sub 3 hour! That's just amazing.
                  I ran on a old train bridge that was falling apart.
                  How about running on an old train bridge that is falling apart and being chased by a train? Clowning around
                  Its not really unique, but I personally like running anywhere above treeline, preferably on a ridge above 12,000Ft
                  Absolutely. Go do the Hardrock 100. According to their website: "With a total elevation gain of approximately 33,000' and an average elevation at near tree line of 11,186', the Hardrock 100 peaks out at over 14,000’ on Handles Peak, one of Colorado’s 14’ers."

-- Jakob Herrmann
                  my running achievements

Just keep running...

Absolutely. Go do the Hardrock 100. According to their website: "With a total elevation gain of approximately 33,000' and an average elevation at near tree line of 11,186', the Hardrock 100 peaks out at over 14,000’ on Handles Peak, one of Colorado’s 14’ers."
                    Thats the plan! Ive still got a few years training to go though. I want to do it before I turn 30 (or at 30 if I have to)
                      I'd love to see the Garmin download for the cruise ship run - doing .10 mile laps while moving 20 knots. Cool

Imminent Catastrophe

A 10k around the fight deck of the USS America while transiting the Suez Canal. It was really, really hot, and the steel flight deck was a frying pan. Good times.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

110 laps non-stop doing 10 miles on it.
                          I would LOVE to see a GPS tracing of this. MTA: er, like Urbansix said.
                          sherpagirl

Sherpagirl

I don't know how many odd locations I have run in. I have had a couple of funny experiences. In Mexico just recently I got attacked by a spider monkey. As it turned out he was friendly ... but when a strange monkey comes out of the jungle and wraps itself around your leg it tends to freak you out. I have also had a live fish fall from the sky on the trail in front of me. Surprised
                            If you're bored ask why you're boring
                            Mr R

I ran about 6 miles in the Detroit airport. It was 3am (my flight was redirected), and there was nobody around. I knew that once I went to sleep, it was going to be tough to get up the next day for my first run, so I figured I'd get a few miles in before my next flight.

What was the secret, they wanted to know; in a thousand different ways they wanted to know The Secret. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heart-rending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottoms of his training shoes. The Trial of Miles, Miles of Trials. How could they be expected to understand that? -John Parker

JakeKnight

I ran with Trent. It's a unique location.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                                -----------------------------