Can somebody explain the "90 minute rule"? (Read 720 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

So I have read about the "10% rule" and the "listen to your body rule". What I know about the "90 minute rule" is that you build capillary beds and mitochondria. So I have some questions. Does it happen at the 90 minute mark? After the 90 minute mark? Do you get more benefit the longer you go? Is there a cutoff point or point of diminishing returns? How many times a week can you do these runs?

I ran 6 times last week for 46.45 miles. Times were 74, 82, 73, 38, 90, and 74 minutes. I guess I didn't get any benefits except maybe yesterdays 90 minute run.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Cyberic

I ran 6 times last week for 46.45 miles. Times were 74, 82, 73, 38, 90, and 74 minutes. I guess I didn't get any benefits except maybe yesterdays 90 minute run.

I sure hope you're wrong with that statement. There has to be benefits to running even if it's less than 90 minutes.

Hoban-Jay

Sounds like pure non-sense to me.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I've never heard of this rule.  If I had to come up with any sort of "90 minute rule" in reference to running it would be to run at least 90 min/week if I want to maintain any level of running fitness.

Aside from that, I have no familiarity with this "rule."

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Sounds like pure non-sense to me.

Yep

Runners run

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

You can't fix a time limit like that. It depends on how much alcohol you drank and how much you weigh.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

catwhoorg

Labrat

Its the toddler version of the 10 second rule. If they drop food, and the parent doesn't notice, into the mouth it goes an hour or more later.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

an amazing likeness

You can't fix a time limit like that. It depends on how much alcohol you drank and how much you weigh.

180 and I'm just about to crack open the one that makes my wife say something about waiting for dinner....but I ran over 90 minutes today.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Walk-Jogger

It's not a rule, but there is a grain of truth here - there are additional physiological training benefits acquired when doing long training runs starting somewhere around 80-90 minutes, depending on which expert you listen to.

Retired &  Loving It

A Saucy Wench

I can't remember which expert touted this. In fact I have heard 90ish minutes thrown out there by different experts for different reasons.  In theory, somewhere around 90 minutes of un-fueled running is typically where stored glycogen is depleted.  90 minutes for mitochondria.  90 minutes for...whatever.  Theoretically somewhere around here specific benefits of long run training start.  Blah blah.

This doesnt mean you get no benefits from shorter runs, if fact one would say with pretty good certainty that running > 90 minutes every single run wouldn't be your best plan.  But as I recall in several theories it is in the >90 minute time where endurance gains are made.  It's the long run.  And for some the mid-week longish run depending on how fast you are.  Every run has a benefit, not all runs have the same benefit.  Not all runs have the same goal.

It's not going to be magically 90.0 minutes, each body is different.  How fast you go, how trained you are for this run, how your body does endurance, it is going to vary.   The training effect builds, peaks, levels off.  Yes, there is a cut off point and that again varies by person and training plan and theory and (probably most importantly)  how well trained you are for the distance, what your support miles are, etc.  The cutoff is in the needed recovery affecting your next X training runs.  The cutoff is in ending in a death march vs finishing strong.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

Runs under 30 minutes are less effective (but of still some benefit) because many people take 15-20 minutes to fully warm up.

Runs over 2.5 hours are less effective (unless training for an Ultra) because the risk of injury grows rapidly and runs that long tend to take too much time to recover from, resulting in poor workouts in the following days.

I've gotten much faster doing mostly 60 minute runs with a longer, perhaps 1.5 to 2 hours on the weekly long run. The 90 minute "rule" sounds ridiculous. The body responds to stimulus not the clock.

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Yes, I'd hate to think that six out of seven runs in the past 3-4 years have been worthless for me.

Feeling the growl again

Screw the "rule", and I don't really care the reason, but medium-long runs of somewhere around 80-100 minutes at a decent overall effort are about the best training you can do.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I think this was based on "fat burning".  Somewhere between 90 minutes and 2 hours you are supposed to start bunrnig on fat instead of glycogen.  That said, I have never seen a plan based on more than two 90 minute plus runs a week (unless you are training for a 50+ mile race).  So if you are training for a marathon or longer two 90+ minute runs per week may be good, otherwise probably no point unless you just like to run long.

Feeling the growl again

I think this was based on "fat burning".  Somewhere between 90 minutes and 2 hours you are supposed to start bunrnig on fat instead of glycogen.  That said, I have never seen a plan based on more than two 90 minute plus runs a week (unless you are training for a 50+ mile race).  So if you are training for a marathon or longer two 90+ minute runs per week may be good, otherwise probably no point unless you just like to run long.

Most balanced plans for reasonably trained marathoners do have two runs 90+min....the mid-week med-long run and the long run on the weekend.  I've been on a plan recommending a third....but it was at a VERY easy effort....and I was running 100+mpw.

Runs that long will command recovery, and while they are valuable most will want to split into doubles rather than over-do it and not recover.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills