Why the Kenyans are so fast (Read 693 times)

Feeling the growl again

I tried his drill.  I didn't notice a magic 20% increase in efficiency, but I'm an idiot, so that might be why.

If you see it work you are a genius, but if you don't see it work you are a monumental idiot consumed in your own ego.  Haven't you been taking notes?

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I learned the word retroduction, which I enjoyed.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Ostrich runner

You can see the horribly disabled SJ demonstrating his technique in the following videos.  As you can plainly see, it is so much different than anyone else walking and is easily 20% more efficient.

see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao0xvCMVfDk&feature=c4-overview&list=UU3l_gBpuAKDgVfO2aEhyo9Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVso_DFTL7k&list=UU3l_gBpuAKDgVfO2aEhyo9Q

I tried his drill.  I didn't notice a magic 20% increase in efficiency, but I'm an idiot, so that might be why.

He gets some steam up in this one. Although (even going much slower than his stated on the other video of 9.5mph) he's really doing something more similar to running at 7mph. That might also explain some of the perceived (I say perceived because of the lack of any type of objective data) gain. Something pretty similar to that stride is known to pretty much anyone who has carried a heavy pack a long way. It's actually easier with weight on your back, which might also explain some of the differences. Also, it's awfully hard to speed up past a certain point (you can see that as SJ starts swinging his arms in an attempt to run).

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Ostrich runner

I learned the word retroduction, which I enjoyed.

Glad to be of service.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

GC100k

Nice discussion, guys.  Alternatively, you might consider arguing with a brick wall.

Ya, that's about it.  He has no interest in learning and no interest in actually proving his theories.  A little bit of googling shows he's spent the past decade insulting people on boards and making sure that no one takes him seriously.

I'm out.  I'm still kinda miffed that no one challenged my ridiculous list of accomplishments, which was all true in a similar manner to SJ being a candidate for the olympic rowing team as a 40 year old indoor rower and a developer of the Nike Free.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

If you tried the walking tape drill, then I fully extend my thanks for your willingness to experiment with it

So the question stands while you state you didn't notice a 20% increase in efficiency, were you wearing a heart rate monitor while doing so?

Far more important is the simple premise of biomechanics; that if you change the way you move, it can only have one of two outcomes. Its either an easier or more difficult process.

What you didn't say is that its a more difficult way to walk than in comparison to how you walk naturally, which is what would have proven the technique would be a less efficient way to run by extrapolation.

There's your data.

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

He gets some steam up in this one. Although (even going much slower than his stated on the other video of 9.5mph) he's really doing something more similar to running at 7mph. That might also explain some of the perceived (I say perceived because of the lack of any type of objective data) gain. Something pretty similar to that stride is known to pretty much anyone who has carried a heavy pack a long way. It's actually easier with weight on your back, which might also explain some of the differences. Also, it's awfully hard to speed up past a certain point (you can see that as SJ starts swinging his arms in an attempt to run).

I LOLed at that one.  Robbie, it's no wonder you don't want to be a race walker with all their rules.  IT'S BECAUSE YOU'RE NOT WALKING.nnMy favorite part was when she pointed out your arms are swinging, unlike a t-rex, you have her turn off the camera.  Is there actually video of him "walking" at 9mph?

My favorite video is the "running group" one.  First lap was the group's natural running form, the second lap was "optimum efficiency".  My idiot eyes are obviously untrained to see the optimum efficiency in the second lap.  I LOLed at that one too.  Who are these poor people in these videos?  Navy SEALs?

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

sport jester

Biomimeticist

My idiot eyes are obviously untrained to see the optimum efficiency in the second lap. 

I'll teach you then what you're looking at between the two laps; vertical lift.

The second lap clearly shows less "bounce" in their gait.

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

This has been posted before, but bears repeating:  Wikipedia - Crank.

1. Cranks overestimate their own knowledge and ability, and underestimate that of acknowledged experts.
                    2. Cranks insist that their alleged discoveries are urgently important.
                    3. Cranks rarely, if ever, acknowledge any error, no matter how trivial.
                    4. Cranks love to talk about their own beliefs, often in inappropriate social situations, but they tend to be bad listeners, being uninterested in anyone else's experience or opinions.

I don't have a thousand bookmarks to my credentials, but I think this is a good one.

Joann Y

In addition, many cranks:

1. seriously misunderstand the mainstream opinion to which they believe that they are objecting,
                      2. stress that they have been working out their ideas for many decades, and claim that this fact alone entails that their belief cannot be dismissed as resting upon some simple error,
                      3. compare themselves with Galileo or Copernicus, implying that the mere unpopularity of some belief is in itself evidence of plausibility,
                      4. claim that their ideas are being suppressed, typically by secret intelligence organizations, mainstream science, powerful business interests, or other groups which, they allege, are terrified by the possibility of their revolutionary insights becoming widely known,
                      5. appear to regard themselves as persons of unique historical importance.

Quote from SJ in the Why Did I Stop Getting Better thread:

If he would have let me train his athletes and I would have failed to improve their speed by 20% I would fully have walked away and not done anything about it. He's as open to new ideas as the Catholic church was to admitting the sun was the center of the universe (since they didn't apologize for Galileo's writings in 1632 until 1992...).

GC100k

Holy crap does that describe SJ!  I mean exactly!

I never paid much attention to cranks before.  These past couple days have been fascinating.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

1. Cranks overestimate their own knowledge and ability, and underestimate that of acknowledged experts.
                          2. Cranks insist that their alleged discoveries are urgently important.
                          3. Cranks rarely, if ever, acknowledge any error, no matter how trivial.
                          4. Cranks love to talk about their own beliefs, often in inappropriate social situations, but they tend to be bad listeners, being uninterested in anyone else's experience or opinions.

I don't have a thousand bookmarks to my credentials, but I think this is a good one.

Reverse logic princess;

I have yet to meet any "expert" who can explain how the women of Kenya carry 20% of their bodyweight with no increase in energy expenditure.

I don't underestimate experts; they're the inept ones, not me. They're the ones being sued, not me.

I didn't discover anything. The fossil records of Mungo Park proves I'm correct

I'm still waiting for anyone to prove by science that I've made any errors

You've never met me in person, so point four is worthless.

But nice try....

Cranks don't teach through certified teaching organizations. I do.

Your definition of crank applies to your experts, not me....

Oh, and you forget that I do have students writing about learning from me. You simply don't know where to look...

Mungo Park

i used to pass there each day on my way to Itchycoo.  halcyon days...

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

GC100k

I didn't discover anything. The fossil records of Mungo Park proves I'm correct

About what?

Arrogant Bastard....Ale

About what?

T-Rex used masking tape to improve his running form, therefore he had a 20% increase in prey catching ability.