ouch! my coat - any repair ideas? (Read 945 times)

cmcompton

I took a bad fall today and ground off the elbow of my brand new coat - a tech coat for cold weather and shedding rain. I'm far more upset about my coat than the various bruises on my body. Does any one have any ideas for repairing a coat beyond duct tape?

12-week layoff

my mom always sewed patches on the knees of my brother's jeans before she handed them down to me. Maybe you can try that. Seriously, take it to a dry-cleaner with a tailor. I'm sure they can figure something out...perhaps some sort of iron-on patch, if it won't melt your jacket.
        I dunno how big the rip is, but an outdoors store/flyfishing store that sells breathable waders would probably have something. Color would probably be green or tan.
        Dunottar

In a similar vein,...back when I wore a bunch of "rip-stop" nylon stuff, I had a "rip-stop" repair kit for when the "rip-stop" would....ironically.....rip. They came in adhesive sheets and you would cut it down to size, peel off the backing (like a band-aid) and press the patch on over the rip or hole in the jacket. It worked pretty well. (I should add, though, that after a bunch of washings and hot/cold temperature changes, the adhesive would lose a bit of its 'stick-to-itive-ness' and the patch would start to peel so you'd have to make a new one. In my case, they lasted probably about a year, year and a half or so.) If they still make such kits, I'd reckon an outdoor place....REI, EMS,....maybe Campmor.....would be the place to look.

Misinformation Officer

I found something similar to the ripstop repair kit in the fishing section of The Evil Empire. I put one part on the inside of the hole and one part on the outside to sandwich it, and the repair lasted quite well.
            cmcompton

Thanks for all the ideas. I was thinking of heading to REI today and maybe a sewing store to look for some kind of patch kit. The sandwich patch idea makes a lot of sense. Smile Now if only there were a quick and cheap fix for the rib that seems to be bruised!
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I wonder if that Mighty Mendit stuff that Billy Mays (you may know him from ads for products like Oxyclean, Mighty Putty, and Orange Glow...Tongue) yells about on TV is any good...?Confused

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Check the inside of your jacket. It is not uncommon that some jackets come with a small repair patch sew in that you can tear out and then repair the tear. Patagonia is pretty good about addiing this to their jackets. Good luck and I am glad you injuries were minor. Kevin
                  Don't let the fat fool you .....
                  dennrunner

KENYON K TAPE at REI should work. It's a nylon taffeta tape used to repair packs and tents and all sorts of thin material similar to many running jackets. Since you said you might stop by REI, you may have already found this item.

You'll ruin your knees!

Dude, nothing is beyond duct tape! Turn the jacket inside out, patch from the inside. If you want to really seal the deal, put another patch of duct tape on the outside... there's your sandwich patch. My first Marmot Precip has duct tape on it... Beyond duct tape? Dude!

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)