half marathon as part of marathon training (Read 1100 times)

My question is if running a half marathon on March 2nd would be ok when training for the cleveland marathon on May 18? I agreed to run it with a guy I run with twice a week. The half marathon course is tough! It is really hilly. This is my first marathon I am training for. Advice? Should I run it like an easy run and just enjoy the well spaced water and gatoraide stops? or Should I run it at marathon pace as practice? or Should I bust it like a real race and use it as a guage of my current fitness level? ok my background. I have been running since June of 2006 regularly. 2006 - 4 days a week 15 - 25 miles per week. 2006 races. 5k, 15k, half marathon. 2007 4 days a week usually right about 20 miles. In Dec I added a 5th day. and have been running longer on non-long runs. and am up in the 30-35 range now for the last 3 weeks. 2007 races two half marathons, a 15k, and a 5 miler.
      Sorry - take the next guy's advice - I misread and thought you only had two weeks between the two races - not two months. Big grin

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Go for it and run it as a race to gauge your current fitness. This should help to give you an idea on what kind of pace you can reasonably accomlish for your (first?) marathon. Also, you'll be a couple of months out so you have ample time for recovery and it would probably help to break up the marathon training.
        Scout7

Race it. You will have over a month to recover from the effort, which should be plenty.
          Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Race it. 6 weeks between a tune-up half and a full are darn near ideal. It'll give you a great indication as to what you can expect for performance in Cleveland. Are you in the Cleveland area?

Feeling the growl again

Race it without tapering. It'll be great for you. Tapering for it would just waste fitness gains for your target marathon....traing thru it, call it your long run for that week.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Hopefully you're thinking about my race ( director) down here in Youngstown Big grin Yes we tough in Y-town Cool I'm training with several guys going to Cleveland also that will do Mill Creek. I'm going Flying Pig Smile

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Hawt and sexy

Wow, I would think the better question is will you be ready for the marathon on only 30-35 mpw? The half will be no problem. The marathon is going to hurt.

I'm touching your pants.

Wow, I would think the better question is will you be ready for the marathon on only 30-35 mpw? The half will be no problem. The marathon is going to hurt.
                    30-35 mpw is his current mileage. You definitely have lots of time to add 10 to 15 mpw by then. Regarding the HM, definitely go for it. It's good training and will give you confidence. If you have at least a couple of 15+ mile long runs before, race it.
                      The obvious question, but it's so commonplace these days that nobody gives it a second thought. It's no wonder that average times for the marathon are an hour slower than they were 15-20 years ago. Guys like Galloway and the Penquin have done a great job of convincing the public that they should enter marathons on this kind of training. I don't think 2 months is nearly enough to bring that base up to where it needs to be. And you know what's funny? People are topping out at 30-40 mpw and then tapering! Amazing.
                      Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                      Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

And you know what's funny? People are topping out at 30-40 mpw and then tapering! Amazing.
                        You find new runners making training mistakes funny?
                          You find new runners making training mistakes funny?
                          No, actually I don't--just a figure of speech. I'm not sure why, but it frustrates me to see so many runners jumping into marathons before they are ready. It truly is a grueling distance. It would have been better for me to say that I recommend building a stronger mileage base before entering marathons. As for the original question, my vote would generally be for racing the half marathon all out and not tapering, but with a low mileage base it might not be the best idea.
                          Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                            I don't think 2 months is nearly enough to bring that base up to where it needs to be. As I read it you have 2 months until the half and 4 months until the full and are at a 30-35 mile base. Is that right? I think you have plenty of time to get to 50 mile weeks before a taper. Race it if you want but realize you will continue to improve so I wouldn't predict my full time off the results. Racing one 3-4 weeks out is a much better predictor of optimum marathon results. Read optimum.

crb81 2008 goals sub-20 5k, sub-43 10k, 1:35 half, 3:20 marathon

I ran a half marathon as part of my training about three months before my event and it didn't have and adverse effect on me at all. My runs surrounding the HM were: the week before 15 miles and the week after was 14 miles.
                              Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09
                                Alot of good advice. Some folks think I should race it as there is plent of time to recover. Other folks think I am not ready to run a marathon. There seams to be a suggestion of having a base of at least 50 miles per week ? On top of the requirement to get in some number of 20 mile runs. If my priority should be to get my base up to 50 before my taper then that would tell me not to race it but either treat it as a long run or run a portion of it at marthon pace. Either way I should continue to build my base? The other option is not running the cleveland marathon at all. I am open to that suggestion as well however I would like to give it a try. Then do another training cycle and run a late fall marathon as well.