Advil During a race (Read 1893 times)

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

I compare doctors to myself.  I feel that I am competent in my day job but I recognize that I'm not an expert in everything (or anything!).  Doctors are not any different. 

It pays to be skeptical.  As they say on CSI "trust but verify."

Greg

Sorry I haven't read the whole thread but most of it so I might have missed something.  So with that said, and this will not help your argument Greg, I agree with you or at least your post. 

I got a speeding ticket where I had 3 police officers from different areas tell me the speed limit on the street I got a ticket on had to be 35.  This street did not have any speed limit signs on it.  Other streets around it were 45 or greater.  None of them quoted anything or showed me why they felt this.  They just knew it must be.  I read up on the subject,, thanks to the world wide web and felt it might be 55.  Anway, checked with the Departement of Transportation to find out it was 55.  Took it to court and won. 

My point is most people would take the word of the professional as law.  He is a police officer he must be right.  He is a doctor he must be right.  I think a wise person listens to what others say and gets multiple opinons while also doing research on the important things.  Like you said nobody is an expert at everything.  Being a police officer or a doctor must be very hard jobs. Nobody can know everything about all of the laws/rules out there or everything about the human body. 

My two cents worth but after the stock market crash it is only worth 1 penny.

2011 Goals:
      Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
      Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)

Pick a new race and get back out there.  Hell, tell me which one and I'll race you.

Not sure when I'll be ready to race. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Sure some doctors are good about special populations but think about it for a minute.  Not all doctors are equal.  In addition no doctor can keep up with everything.  You may have a very good doctor or you may have one that isn't so great.  Or you might catch your doctor on a bad day.  ...And why should a general practitioner spend their valuable time keeping up on research for a tiny fraction of the people that they see?

I had a problem with iron last year.  My doc said everything was fine.  After seeking many opinions I learned that my Dr. at the time was mistaken.  I don't fault the doctor -- I'm an outlier and he can't get *everything* right.  Doctors are human. (I am sure many people are now thinking that I just kept seeking opinions until I got the answer I was seeking.  That's not the case but I don't expect anyone to believe that.)

I saw a cardiologist recently.  I did some limited research on blood markers and marathoners.  The cardiologist hadn't heard of anything that I had mentioned.  But he was a very good doctor.  He listened (hopefully very skeptically) about what I said and then followed up on it.  He dug up journal articles on the topic and got back to me. 

I compare doctors to myself.  I feel that I am competent in my day job but I recognize that I'm not an expert in everything (or anything!).  Doctors are not any different. 

Greg

Greg, this is about the smartest take on being an informed and active medical consumer I've read.  So many people seem to either blindly go along with what their doctors say or get mad when they learn that the doc is wrong.  Neither approach probably makes much sense.  Doing your own research and valuing your doctor's ability to listen skeptically and put what you have seen in context seems like the best approach.  And, in my limited experience, most docs seem to respond well when politely presented with questions and requests that are based on sound research.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I still would not recommend advil for during a race.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

No more mud for 349 days.

I just caught this.  Funny, given the timing of the thread.

Sigh.

I just caught this.  Funny, given the timing of the thread.

Sigh.

That was to Nader re a mud race (I think).

For you, I'm hoping for no more mud 349 years.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

I look my best blurry!

mta: I'm not saying your doctor is wrong.  I'm making gross generalizations here.  I agree with Scout's response, and Trent said he won so there is no argument there!  

Sure some doctors are good about special populations but think about it for a minute.  Not all doctors are equal.  In addition no doctor can keep up with everything.  You may have a very good doctor or you may have one that isn't so great.  Or you might catch your doctor on a bad day.  ...And why should a general practitioner spend their valuable time keeping up on research for a tiny fraction of the people that they see?

I had a problem with iron last year.  My doc said everything was fine.  After seeking many opinions I learned that my Dr. at the time was mistaken.  I don't fault the doctor -- I'm an outlier and he can't get *everything* right.  Doctors are human. (I am sure many people are now thinking that I just kept seeking opinions until I got the answer I was seeking.  That's not the case but I don't expect anyone to believe that.)

I saw a cardiologist recently.  I did some limited research on blood markers and marathoners.  The cardiologist hadn't heard of anything that I had mentioned.  But he was a very good doctor.  He listened (hopefully very skeptically) about what I said and then followed up on it.  He dug up journal articles on the topic and got back to me. 

Greg

Applause!!!!  

Having a "special" relationship with a doctor makes me realize even though they can be brilliant, they are definitely human.  Most doctors (PTs and other health professionals included) will give you the safest answer.  "Don't take advil", "don't use heat", "don't run for 6-8 weeks", etc.  Most won't know about how to treat athletes that are pushing their bodies to an extreme compared to the average population.  They often don't trust patient's to follow more detailed riskier instructions.  So they often keep it simple and protect themselves legally as well.  You have to be careful where you do your own research.  I like to ask questions about the doctor who I am going to see before I go.  Does the doctor regularly treat athletes?  You have found an excellent doctor if he does research after you leave and then gets back to you to inform you of his/her findings!  Keep that doctor's number handy!!

I have a massage therapist that is always willing to learn about whatever issue I'm having.  I send her research articles and she looks up more on her own and shares them with me as well.  My 1st sports massage with her was so-so at best.  Now she is really great and I'm so glad I stuck with her.  She is definitely on my team!  

In a nutshell, it is important to have a relationship with your health care professionals.

However, seilerts doctor scares me.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Regardless, don't take advil during a race.

Feeling the growl again

Do some docs fail to differentiate athletes on things like low heart rate?  Yes.

However, I can't fathom a biological explanation for why being an athlete would lessen your risk of kidney damage from NSAIDS.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I can't fathom a biological explanation for why being an athlete would lessen your risk of kidney damage from NSAIDS.

Yep

I can fathom why it might increase the risk tho.

Piling on a bit,  I used to take an advil after my 'long" runs when I first started running, then when I came over to RA, found one of Trent's posts, and have not taken any pain killers  (for running at least) in the 3 years since,  I do think the recovery is faster without any intervention.

The shirtless wonder

Do some docs fail to differentiate athletes on things like low heart rate?  Yes.

However, I can't fathom a biological explanation for why being an athlete would lessen your risk of kidney damage from NSAIDS.

Runner: "hey doc, can I pop some advil before my race this weekend?  I've got some muscle aches"

Doc: "Sure, just stay within the dosage guidelines."

Runner:  "cool."

The doc assumes the race is a 5k.  But the race could just as easily be a 50k.

I look my best blurry!

Regardless, don't take advil during a race.

I'm with you.  

Feeling the growl again

Runner: "hey doc, can I pop some advil before my race this weekend?  I've got some muscle aches"

Doc: "Sure, just stay within the dosage guidelines."

Runner:  "cool."

The doc assumes the race is a 5k.  But the race could just as easily be a 50k.

I still can't fathom any biological reason why being an athlete would reduce the risk of kidney damage from NSAIDs.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Pammie

Its a no from me as well

That goes for any type of pain killer don't understand why people take them, you might be fine in the race but as they mask pain you don't know what lasting damage they do. Is it worth it?