10K under 50 minutes... Please help (Read 324 times)

SubHuman

Having just started, I only went as far as 8 kilometers in 1 hour... I run every other day, I was thinking of increasing speed on treadmill by 0.3 km/h every week. Should I run more often and/or increase more speed? Thank you.

EDIT: Is running outside better than on treadmill?

Latent Runner

Having just started, I only went as far as 8 kilometers in 1 hour... I run every other day, I was thinking of increasing speed on treadmill by 0.3 km/h every week. Should I run more often and/or increase more speed? Thank you.

EDIT: Is running outside better than on treadmill?

Run more miles, do NOT attempt to run faster, injury will most likely be the result if you do.

As for treadmill vs. running outside, some folks, myself included, do not consider running on a treadmill actual running; that said, working out on a treadmill is probably the form of exercise closest to running one can find.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
      • 2-mile: 13:49
      • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
      • 5-Mile: 37:24
      • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
      • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
      • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
      SubHuman

How much more time should I add to my runs each week then? 5 minutes?

Latent Runner

How much more time should I add to my runs each week then? 5 minutes?

Given 99.9% of all competitive events are distance based, I'm not personally a fan of the time based approach to training.  I suggest you gradually work your way up to running at least ten to twelve kilometers for each workout, and work your way up to seven workouts every two weeks (i.e. every other day).

Fat old man PRs:

mikeymike

I'd try increase days per week before miles per day or pace. Nobody can say whether 8k in an hour is too fast, too slow, or just right for you. Most of your miles should be at an easy pace--whatever easy is to you.

Treadmill vs outside doesn't matter. Whatever works for you and your life.

Runners run

Given 99.9% of all competitive events are distance based, I'm not personally a fan of the time based approach to training.  I suggest you gradually work your way up to running at least ten to twelve kilometers for each workout, and work your way up to seven workouts every two weeks (i.e. every other day).

10-12k each workout for a new runner might be a tad too much, like Mikey said work towards running more days, and make one or two of those runs longer than the others say 12-15 k if running 30 miles (48k)  a week, and maybe one workout a week at a quicker than usual pace.

I know of a few very fast runners who run mostly on the treadmill.

SubHuman

Thank you for your replies. How many days should I be working towards (at the moment, I'm fine with running every other day).

Latent Runner

10-12k each workout for a new runner might be a tad too much, like Mikey said work towards running more days, and make one or two of those runs longer than the others say 12-15 k if running 30 miles (48k)  a week, and maybe one workout a week at a quicker than usual pace.

I know of a few very fast runners who run mostly on the treadmill.

I believe I said "GRADUALLY" work your way up to 10-12 kilometers per day; it seems being mis-quoted, or quoted out of context happens all to often in this forum.

As for the dreadmill, yeah, I know some fast runners with lots of mill-miles, but the betting is they also have lots of road miles as well.  For new runners, "running" in a treadmill isn't "running", IMHO.

Fat old man PRs:

I believe I said "GRADUALLY" work your way up to 10-12 kilometers per day; it seems being mis-quoted, or quoted out of context happens all to often in this forum.

As for the dreadmill, yeah, I know some fast runners with lots of mill-miles, but the betting is they also have lots of road miles as well.  For new runners, "running" in a treadmill isn't "running", IMHO.

Define "GRADUALLY".

"Atleast 10-12 k each workout" is likely a bit much none the less

you'd be betting wrong.

How does one run "in" a treadmill

Running is Running

Joann Y

Being a runner is a mental state that requires consistency. The sooner you think of yourself as a runner, the better. This means however slow or fast, whether trail, treadmill, or road, you go for your run. You figure out how to make that happen and you will get faster. Figuring out how to make it happen is key, running slow, running in the morning, during the day, at night, not stretching, stretching, day off, no days off, running slowly, very slowly, fast when you feel it, barefoot, with shoes, on the treadmill while the kid is asleep, on the treadmill cause you're feeling wimpy, in the snow, on the ice, in the heat, bundle up, no shirt, water, no water, annoying your spouse, running with your spouse, racing. Get out there man.

SubHuman

I have no problem with consistency (having gone to the gym for a couple years now). I just don't wanna start progressing too slow or too fast.

Joann Y

Okay, consistent more often, like closer to every day.

MTA: as long as your hammies are doing alright.

Latent Runner

Define "GRADUALLY".

"Atleast 10-12 k each workout" is likely a bit much none the less

you'd be betting wrong.

How does one run "in" a treadmill

Running is Running

Gradually varies by the individual and their current level of conditioning, if you do not understand the concept of “GRADUALLY” then I’m sorry, there really isn’t much I can teach you.

You’re suggesting ten to twelve kilometers per workout is too much? Yikes, what world do you live in? I’d say it is barely sufficient.

What was I betting on?

When it comes to training and treadmills, “running” is not “running”. In what world does moving one’s legs and arms back and forth while the torso remains basically stationary equate to the dynamics of running out on the roads, or better still, on trails? IMHO, working out on a treadmill is exercise, but it is a poor substitute to running.

Fat old man PRs:

Gradually varies by the individual and their current level of conditioning, if you do not understand the concept of “GRADUALLY” then I’m sorry, there really isn’t much I can teach you.

I agree I am unteachable, just ask my wife

You’re suggesting ten to twelve kilometers per workout is too much? Yikes, what world do you live in? I’d say it is barely sufficient.

10-12k  "Each" workout for a runner aspiring for a 50 min 10k is a bit too much yes

mikeymike

Of course running on a treadmill is running.

It's good to run on a variety of terrain but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Runners run