Sub-3:30 Marathon in 2012 Goal Thread (Read 4592 times)

I am in for 2012.

Gonna be a challenge as my first 100 miler will be the number one focus but in for a penny in for a pound!

Julia1971

I'm still just trying to log miles and run consistently.  I'm not officially marathon training until December 10th. Planning to do a turkey trot this week to see where I am fitness-wise.  (I may make my log public.  I’m trying to figure out how hard/easy it'll be to delete/hide the personal stuff).  

Continuing my electrolyte/sports drink taste testing.  I want to focus on fueling my workouts and recovery more this time around.  Yesterday, it was Gu Brew Lemon Lime flavor.  Blech.  Today, I'm trying Nathan brand.

Am also going to need one or two more pairs of tights.  Laundry management is a critical element of marathon success.  For me anyway.

Miles Last Week: 49 mpw

Goal for This Week: 60 mpw

Julia1971

Ran a 5 miler on Thanksgiving and did pretty well – 36:20.  Only 40 seconds slower than I ran the same race last year, so it gave me confidence that my layoffs haven’t hurt as much as I feared.  Feeling much more confident about sub-3:30.

My electrolyte taste test is over and I found Vitalyte to be the best overall followed by Cytomax, so I’m going to go with those on my medium and long runs.  (I thought Nuun was okay and Gu Brew was the worst).

And, I’m all geared up.  I purchased a bunch of running clothes on Small Business Saturday from my local running store.  I'm on the taller side for women, so I was very happy to find a long-sleeve shirt with the thumb cut-outs from Nike that was long enough to actually reach my thumbs.  And, the Sugoi Sub and Mid Zero tights actually went down to my ankles.  No cold wrist and ankle bones for me this winter.

Miles Last Week: 60.5

Goal for This Week: 60

Edited because Nike isn't a small business.

Julia1971

I’m doing well with consistency – currently on a 20 day running streak and did 60 mpw two weeks in a row.

This’ll be a cut back week.  Thinking I’ll do something like 55ish and may even take a day off in anticipation of 18 weeks of daily running. 

Miles Last Week: 60

Goal for This Week: Run well during 30 min @ T pace on Tuesday.

I haven't run a marathon since 2000, and Oct 2012 is a long ways out, but, I throw in here for Baystate.

Probably too early for a really specific time goal - I think sub 3:30 is very attainable, but sub 3 probably ain't in the cards (at least right now). If I had to guess, and everything breaks right and I train right, then 3:10ish.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
            We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
            chuckstone

I will go for it too - at Boston on April 16, 2012. 

I'm going to use a Master Run Coach plan instead of the on-my-own approach the last 2 years.

Chuck

Julia1971

Day 1 of my official training and I've already gone off schedule.  I ran a race today rather than a recovery run.  (I'm attempting Pfitz 18/85, but realize I may fall short some weeks).  Those are completely interchangeable workouts, right?  Wink  Ran an 8K at 7:05ish pace, which is 10 sec/mile faster than I ran a 5 miler 3 weeks ago so I'm pretty happy with myself today.

One of my challenges for the next few weeks will be watching what I’m eating and drinking with all the holiday celebrations on my calendar.  It's hard for me to go to lunch/happy hours/parties and not have what everyone else is having.  But, maybe I can just not have as much as everyone else is having.

Miles Last Week: 48.6

Goal for This Week: Start plan off right by completing all scheduled workouts.

Clive, I'm changing my plans a bit already.  I've been seeing solid gains in my low-HR paces and am focusing for my first sub-3:30 attempt at the ORRRC Marathon on March 25th.  I'm ditching Chicago--I think it's probably too close to my first 50 miler!

Thanks for setting up this thread.  I'm in base-building mode, still, until January.  Had a great week last week--about 70 miles.  Week before that was ~55, but had a great "10 mile" (11.2 ish) trail race that week.

This week should be another 65-70.  Might throw in a speed workout and cut some of the volume...we'll see!

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                  Emil Zatopek

Julia1971

Week 1 is in the books.  Not bad.  The worst of it was battling a side stitch.  It was terrible for about three days and now it's just annoying.  The best of it was running past a guy in his Boston jacket on Tuesday, nodding and thinking to myself, “I’m gonna get myself one of those”.

Miles Last Week: 66

Goal for This Week: Manage 8mi @ MP on Saturday.

Julia1971

Week 2 is dunzo. 

The key workout was 8mi @ MP on Saturday.  Going in, I wasn’t quite sure how fast/slow to run this.  What’s marathon pace two weeks into training?  I don't know.  But, I set my Garmin for 7:45 – 8:05pace, which is about where I think McMillan and Daniels would put me based on my last race.  I ran on the lower end of that and was pretty spent afterward.  In retrospect, that was probably closer to tempo pace for me.

Hope everyone's training is going well.

Miles Last Week: 69

Goal for This Week: Knock out tempo run today.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Week 2 is dunzo. 

The key workout was 8mi @ MP on Saturday.  Going in, I wasn’t quite sure how fast/slow to run this.  What’s marathon pace two weeks into training?  I don't know.  But, I set my Garmin for 7:45 – 8:05pace, which is about where I think McMillan and Daniels would put me based on my last race.  I ran on the lower end of that and was pretty spent afterward.  In retrospect, that was probably closer to tempo pace for me.

Hope everyone's training is going well.

Miles Last Week: 69

Goal for This Week: Knock out tempo run today.

Are you looking to PR? What is your goal time (< 3:25)? You have me thinking about a tempting  3:30 at Boston or at least a PR (3:37:38). How did you get your training schedule on the summary page?

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Julia1971

Are you looking to PR? What is your goal time (< 3:25)? You have me thinking about a tempting  3:30 at Boston or at least a PR (3:37:38). How did you get your training schedule on the summary page?

I'm always looking to PR.  Wink  I'm not sure what my goal time is, yet.  Right now, I'm thinking sub 3:25 for Boston and maybe sub 3:20 for Marine Corps.  But, we'll see.  I don't want to get too far ahead of myself.

I don't know how I got my training schedule on the summary page.  Is that not an option when you try to customize that page?

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Is that not an option when you try to customize that page?

Yes,Thanks.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Julia1971

Done with Week 3.  Weather became more of an issue this week.  Had some pretty windy days early in the week and also had my first near freezing run.  I'll probably hit the treadmill a few days this week as the forecast is calling for some really cold days.  I'm thinking anything under the high 20s is my limit.

Otherwise, I'm holding up pretty well – no injuries; just general fatigue.  I realized I was running my recovery days too fast, so I've slowed those down.

Happy New Year!

Miles Last Week: 70

Goal for This Week: Finish the first 20 miler.

Last day before my marathon training plan (Pfitz, 18/70+) starts.  Ran a New Year's 5K.  It was ~0.15 miles too long!  Whoops.  Was able to hold a 6:17/mile pace, though, which I'll use to determine pacing for this training cycle. 

It's a new year, and I am ready to rock this.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                                Emil Zatopek