Sub-3:30 Marathon in 2012 Goal Thread (Read 4592 times)

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Okay, last real run this morning.  5easy.  Felt great.  Easy today was 8:10.  139 avg heart-rate confirms.  Any slower and it felt "hard", oddly.  Best run I've had in 2 weeks; felt great.  Blisters have all deflated -- coated them with NewSkin just to be sure (kinda like medical super-glue).  Carbs for lunch and dinner.  Just need to do my weight check (for historical purposes -- nothing I can do about it now).

Prepped my clothes.  Bought my Carboom Gels.  Broke-in my race shoes. Charging my watch.  Going to make my checklists: Pack, Night-before & Race-day.

To be honest, since CliveF took the piss out of me, I've been feeling much better.

About the only problem left is the weather (69F predicted), but not a damn thing I can do about that.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

hairshirt knitter

Good luck Sunday, stadjak!

+4

Have a good time - embrace the hard parts!

That's what I'm here for.

Cool

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Julia1971

Posting my weekly update early because I may be in traction tomorrow (and I want this thread to be about Stadjak's race report.  Good luck, buddy!)

Not sure what week this is anymore.  Not sure it matters or that I care.

I had my first sign of injury this week - a sharp pain in my left knee that came on during an interval workout on Monday.  It's one of those "it doesn't hurt everytime I run" and when it does come on "it goes away after running a few minutes"-type injuries so I'm going to wait and see how things go this week before I panic. 

I front-loaded my hard workouts this week so I could rest up for a half marathon this weekend - my second tune up race and longer than Pfitz has in my plan.  So, I'm thinking my knee pain my be a sign that I pushed things way too hard earlier in the week.

Anyhow...  the race!  It went very well.  I started out a bit fast knowing that there were hills ahead since, again, I am not a hill runner.  By mile 3 or 4, I was already hurting.  But, no time for crying because that's about  when the 4 mile climb starts.  I slowed pretty significantly on each uphill - my legs just didn't have it in them to power up anything - but would pick up the pace on the flats and downhills, which I'm sure infuriated the runners around me trying to pass me for good.  At about mile 10, I actually felt a little light headed and slowed down to assess the situation.  "Oh wait, this is a slight uphill.  This is how I roll on uphills.  Carry on."  When the incline leveled out, I started zooming past people and even powered up the last uphill earning the crowd's enthousiastic applause.  Time is 1:34:something - a PR by 5 minutes and McMillan still has me under 3:20 for a full.

Miles Last Week: 70.9 mpw (Yes, I was tempted to run 0.10 miles to round that out)

Goal for This Week: Try to get some rest during the week so I can have a good 22 mile dress rehearsal on Saturday.

Edited because in my loopy state I typed 3:14 instead of 1:34.

xor

Congratulations and stuff!

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

A) My feet are sore.

B) Yeah, there's some uphill climb going north away from the Mall. Then some more. People were noticing that.

Congrats Julia!

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

You're going to sit down at each aid station, soak your feet in a tub of ice water, and eat several courses, whilst drinking many cups of fluid. RIght? Then I'm sure it won't affect you much.

Pretty much. You're going to be there with the tubs of icewater every 5 or so miles aren't ya Big grin.  The weather is going to be  PERFECT Undecided for that

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Nice job Julia and congrats on the PR! You are going to ROCK at Boston!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Missed it by THAT much.

3:32:11: Long winded race report.

I plan to be part of the graduating class for 2012 . . . but I guess It'll be in the Fall.  Sign me up again.  Race TBD (hopefully NYC).

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Missed it by THAT much.

I plan to be part of the graduating class for 2012 . . . but I guess It'll be in the Fall.  Sign me up again.  Race TBD (hopefully NYC).

That's a fantastic first freakin' marathon, man.  Great report, too.  You got to find out when the wheels come off and come away better prepared for it.

Congratulations are in order!

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                      Emil Zatopek

Julia1971

"I'm really pleased with my results.  ...  I left nothing on the table."

These were my favorite parts.  You should be incredibly pleased for pushing yourself to your limit.  And, doing so in your first marathon takes a lot of guts (or stupidity, but since I know you know a lot of big words, I'm gonna go with guts. Smile ). 

Congratulations!!!  Looking forward to reading about your future progress.

hairshirt knitter

Missed it by THAT much.

Yes, but you were a lot bloody closer than many - THAT close :-) Well done, you put heart and sole (soul?) into that race.

Julia1971

RGilbert, you're up next!  Hope you've enjoyed your taper and are ready to race...

RGilbert, you're up next!  Hope you've enjoyed your taper and are ready to race...

Unfortunately, my marathon on Sunday will be (at best) a training run.  I've been hit with the sinus infection of doomtm.  I took last Saturday off to go to the doctor (first day of no running in 135 days), slogged through a miserable 13 miles on Sunday.  Had to take Monday off running...tried to run Tuesday, barely made it over a mile.  Haven't run since, and I've had to take time off from work, to boot.

At this point, I'm not even sure if I'll be able to go to the race on Sunday.  If I do go, it'll be a training run for the Flying Pig, which I'm re-focusing on.

Nothing to be done for it now.   I should have hit up the doc for antibiotics much, much sooner than I did.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                              Emil Zatopek

Missed it by THAT much.

oh holy shit no way!

Sorry for swearing.  Oh so so close.  Faster than I've ever done, well done!!!