Sub-3:30 Marathon in 2012 Goal Thread (Read 4592 times)

zhainerobenson

spam
    northernman

Fight The Future

Stadjak and JenRosie --done.

Northernman, are you to be added to The List, or are you "just running" it?

Oh, sorry, I was just trying to lend support. But sure, put me back on. This time I'm going to try for 3:25 - thanks!

fake it till you make it

Oh, sorry, I was just trying to lend support. But sure, put me back on. This time I'm going to try for 3:25 - thanks!

Yes, hopefully you will see me at TCM as I'll be shooting for about the same goal. Here's hoping we have a nice summer for training.

Ok since I wasn't around to run Run for the Red put  me down for Wine Glass Marathon September 30th. I've decided against running my 100 miler this summer so that I can focus on the marathon!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Done!

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Nigsa

Hey !

I let you have a look on this Patagonial International Marathon, It looks amazing,

http://nigsaworld.com/patagonian-international-marathon/

See you there!

xor

This ^^^ EXACT SAME POST has appeared in various groups on RWOL in the past 24 hours, usually churning up an old thread that has nothing to do with it.

It is a spam post, and I would not trust that site.

Julia1971

I'm baaaack. Smile. My training for the NYCM starts today! I had a nice 2 month break away from serious training. For a good month or so after Boston, I just ran when I felt like it and as fast or slow as I felt like it. In the last few weeks I've started running more consistently and building a bit of a base. Initially, I was thinking of doing Pfitz' 12 week program but changed my mind last week. I got the impression 18 weeks is preferable to 12. And, I was thinking of doing the 18/80 plan again, but I don't have the base to support it this time so I need to change my schedule to the 18/70. I think my biggest obstacle this go around is going to be the summer heat. I don't know how I'm going to manage 20 milers in 80+ degree heat. I set out for 16 yesterday and only managed 10. And, that was with me taking in 32 oz of gatorade. I found myself thinking, How did i finish Boston in heat like this? My overall training goal this time is to focus more on the little things. During my off time I read Scott Jurek and Dara Torres' books. They made me think that perhaps I could perform better if I paid more attention to what I ate, how much sleep I was getting, stretched or took a massage, etc. I won't be checking in weekly this time but will still keep you all posted on progress, setbacks, etc. Hope your training has been going well!

Welcome back Julia! Yes this summer is killer.  I ended up doing 18 in the high 80's yesterday however I was only planning on doing 12 however I lost my key faub on the trail so I had to retrack my steps. Never did find it and I was so dehydrated (only 16 oz of water for the whole thing). Anyway my 18 miler today with 10@ marathon pace is NOT happening! I've managed to get all my other workouts in despite the heat.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Julia1971

Welcome back Julia! Yes this summer is killer.  I ended up doing 18 in the high 80's yesterday however I was only planning on doing 12 however I lost my key faub on the trail so I had to retrack my steps. Never did find it and I was so dehydrated (only 16 oz of water for the whole thing). Anyway my 18 miler today with 10@ marathon pace is NOT happening! I've managed to get all my other workouts in despite the heat.

Oh no! I hope it turns up somehow. Those things are expensive... I didn't run much last summer so I've forgotten most of my tricks to beat the heat. I'm sure they'll come back to me (or I can create new ones).

For the record (and rather belatedly) I ran 3:22 in Edinburgh last month (against my target of 3:15). I was on pace with about 10km to go, but couldn't hold it for the last part. It was a very hot day. Not sure whether I'll race another marathon this year, as I seem to now be committed to doing a 50k race in October.

Oh no! I hope it turns up somehow. Those things are expensive... I didn't run much last summer so I've forgotten most of my tricks to beat the heat. I'm sure they'll come back to me (or I can create new ones).

I'm heading back out there tonight to look .  My normal trick to run in the heat is to keep it NICE AND SLOW. This will be the first time I've actually doing a real training plan during the summer months.  

Nice job on the 3:22 on a hot day PR100! Good luck on your 50k!

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

First week training report (17weeks until NYC-Marathon):

Our community Coach is working up a tailored schedule for me, but until he completes it and I evaluate it, I'm working from Pfitzinger's 18/70 plan.  I did the first week w/o the book (which I received today).  It included a 15mi run on Saturday.  While I've been logging 60mpw for the last month, the longest I've run in the last 3 months is about 10mi.  Saturday was hot but I ran with the local marathon training program and found an 8:00 pace group.

The run was a bit hard -- I made very liberal use of the water-stops.  The heat had washed me out.  Earlier in the week (Wednesday) I'd run a 5K in the heat and it completely sapped me of all strength for the next 3 days -- even recovery runs were a challenge.  The 15miler was the best run of the week by far, though.  I finished strong . . . and soggy.

Today I had to stand on the sidelines as I saw my 5k speed-group take off for a ladder interval workout.  Am I certifiable, envying people who are clearly working their brains out?  Instead I did my scheduled recovery run after yesterday's mid-week 12miler at 8:10 pace.

So far, I like Pfitz.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Julia1971

First week training report (17weeks until NYC-Marathon):

Our community Coach is working up a tailored schedule for me, but until he completes it and I evaluate it, I'm working from Pfitzinger's 18/70 plan.  I did the first week w/o the book (which I received today).  It included a 15mi run on Saturday.  While I've been logging 60mpw for the last month, the longest I've run in the last 3 months is about 10mi.  Saturday was hot but I ran with the local marathon training program and found an 8:00 pace group.

The run was a bit hard -- I made very liberal use of the water-stops.  The heat had washed me out.  Earlier in the week (Wednesday) I'd run a 5K in the heat and it completely sapped me of all strength for the next 3 days -- even recovery runs were a challenge.  The 15miler was the best run of the week by far, though.  I finished strong . . . and soggy.

Today I had to stand on the sidelines as I saw my 5k speed-group take off for a ladder interval workout.  Am I certifiable, envying people who are clearly working their brains out?  Instead I did my scheduled recovery run after yesterday's mid-week 12miler at 8:10 pace.

So far, I like Pfitz.

Sounds like you're off to a good start.  I like Pfitz, too.  If you're envious of the fast runners in Week 1, you're in for weeks of heart ache.

I took my 15 miler on Sunday indoors.  After slogging and making pace adjustments all week, I decided mentally, I wanted to finish a long run at something close to my goal training paces.  There was some good people watching.  (Why do people jog on the treadmill and thrust their arms straight up in the air?  What is that supposed to do?)  And, some good infomercials.  (For example, the Shark vacuum cleaner.  Strong enough to suck up something like 8 billiard balls.  You know, for when you mishit the break and all the balls fly off the table and land on the floor.  You can just vacuum them up.)

northernman

Fight The Future

stadjak, I'm curious about your plan. You say you are 17 weeks from the race, but you are already running long runs at a 8:00 pace? That seems fast, to me, especially with the heat. What do you think will be your final marathon pace?