Sub-3:30 Marathon in 2012 Goal Thread (Read 4592 times)

Julia1971

Checking in after my first 18 miler of this training cycle.  I wish I could say it was a piece of cake but it was pretty miserable.  I think I ran the early miles a bit too fast and then had dead legs at the end.  Oh well.  Tomorrow's an off day.

Otherwise, things are going pretty well.  It's too hot to entertain any goal paces during my workouts.  In general, I'm not obsessing about my training as much as I have with past marathons.  At first, I was thinking maybe I'm not as excited about it but I think I'm just trying to keep myself from over-exerting myself by getting hung up on hitting time goals.

I have my second marathon pace run next week.  I didn't think about a specific time pace for the first one - again because of the heat - and just based it on what I thought was MP effort.  But, I'm thinking maybe I'll head to the treadmill for the next one.  I'm kinda dreading the idea of 10 miles at MP on the 'mill but I feel like I might need the psychological boost.

A little while back, I decided I was going to transition to a lighter shoe (or shoes).  But, I had just bought two new pairs of my old shoes (Asics Gel Nimbus), so the change has been slow.  The Nimbus are finally at a point where they're about ready for retirement so I'm looking forward to doing more miles in my new kicks.

Hope everyone is running well!

fake it till you make it

Checking in after my first 18 miler of this training cycle.  I wish I could say it was a piece of cake but it was pretty miserable.  I think I ran the early miles a bit too fast and then had dead legs at the end.  Oh well.  Tomorrow's an off day.

Otherwise, things are going pretty well.  It's too hot to entertain any goal paces during my workouts.  In general, I'm not obsessing about my training as much as I have with past marathons.  At first, I was thinking maybe I'm not as excited about it but I think I'm just trying to keep myself from over-exerting myself by getting hung up on hitting time goals.

I have my second marathon pace run next week.  I didn't think about a specific time pace for the first one - again because of the heat - and just based it on what I thought was MP effort.  But, I'm thinking maybe I'll head to the treadmill for the next one.  I'm kinda dreading the idea of 10 miles at MP on the 'mill but I feel like I might need the psychological boost.

A little while back, I decided I was going to transition to a lighter shoe (or shoes).  But, I had just bought two new pairs of my old shoes (Asics Gel Nimbus), so the change has been slow.  The Nimbus are finally at a point where they're about ready for retirement so I'm looking forward to doing more miles in my new kicks.

Julia- are you using a Pfitz plan this go-round? I did 18/55 for my last marathon, not enough base for me now to do 18/70 but if I can keep a good base through fall and early winter I might consider it for boston '13.  For now just doing a modified 18/55 tweaked to fit what I like and what I can fit in my schedule. 10 weeks to go and I can feel the tempo runs making me stronger, but I'm still feeling under prepared with lack of miles early in the summer.  I have new shoes on the way as well, going to try a pair of Newtons.  Gimmicky? Maybe. But thought it might be fun to give them a try.  

Glad to hear you got it done. Glad to hear you have the choice of running inside! Like you the thought of any marathon goal pace workouts in this heat does not thrill me and have decided that I'd go by effort. Today was SUPPOSED to be a marathon paced workout however I just got recruited for the R2S relay next weekend so I figured today wouldn't be the day to do it since I really want to give the best I can for the team. I decided to just keep it nice and steady and got the 18 done in 2:40, I also got a bike last weekend and instead of running on 2 of my recovery days I biked 20 miles each day. I think really enjoyed the mental break from running in the heat.  

Found out that I have Ulna Neuropathy in both of my arms and have an appointment with the hand surgeon August 9th. I'm really hoping this crap doesn't interfere with training

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Julia1971

Julia- are you using a Pfitz plan this go-round? I did 18/55 for my last marathon, not enough base for me now to do 18/70 but if I can keep a good base through fall and early winter I might consider it for boston '13.  For now just doing a modified 18/55 tweaked to fit what I like and what I can fit in my schedule. 10 weeks to go and I can feel the tempo runs making me stronger, but I'm still feeling under prepared with lack of miles early in the summer.  I have new shoes on the way as well, going to try a pair of Newtons.  Gimmicky? Maybe. But thought it might be fun to give them a try.  

Yep, 18/70 this time around for me.  It's nice having a day off.  Particularly when your quads are trashed like mine are now.

Tempo runs are great confidence boosters, aren't they?  You probably have tune up races coming up, too...

I don't think mixing things up is gimmicky.  I definitely feel faster in my racing flats.  And, I suspect I'm running a little faster, too.  I think I run on my toes a bit more in them and they propel me forward.  Good luck with the Newtons!

Julia1971

Glad to hear you got it done. Glad to hear you have the choice of running inside! Like you the thought of any marathon goal pace workouts in this heat does not thrill me and have decided that I'd go by effort. Today was SUPPOSED to be a marathon paced workout however I just got recruited for the R2S relay next weekend so I figured today wouldn't be the day to do it since I really want to give the best I can for the team. I decided to just keep it nice and steady and got the 18 done in 2:40, I also got a bike last weekend and instead of running on 2 of my recovery days I biked 20 miles each day. I think really enjoyed the mental break from running in the heat.  

Found out that I have Ulna Neuropathy in both of my arms and have an appointment with the hand surgeon August 9th. I'm really hoping this crap doesn't interfere with training

Yikes!  I hope you get good news from the surgeon.

18 in 2:40 is not shabby at all.  

I haven't heard of R2S.  How far are you running for your portion of the relay?

jespsf

Hey folks,

I've sort of followed this thread for a while and appreciate all your insight...i figured I throw my hat in the ring with a question...I'm building my training plan for CIM in December and am wondering what the peak mileage any of you have or recommend during your training cycles...ive gone about 50 miles per week for a few weeks now and am getting comfortable starting to add more quality workouts within that mileage frame...i dont want to sell myself short, but how much more mileage should i add when i really want to end up concentrating on quality workouts?

Thanks and good luck,

Josh

Julia1971

Hey folks,

I've sort of followed this thread for a while and appreciate all your insight...i figured I throw my hat in the ring with a question...I'm building my training plan for CIM in December and am wondering what the peak mileage any of you have or recommend during your training cycles...ive gone about 50 miles per week for a few weeks now and am getting comfortable starting to add more quality workouts within that mileage frame...i dont want to sell myself short, but how much more mileage should i add when i really want to end up concentrating on quality workouts?

Thanks and good luck,

Josh

50 mpw seems like a good base if you've been doing it for a few weeks.  Are you planning on following a training plan of some type?  Or maybe working with a coach?

I wonder what you mean by wanting to concentrate on quality workouts in the context of training for a marathon.  When I think of the plan I follow, the quality workouts depend on where I am in my training cycle.  So, during the early phrase where I'm trying to build an aerobic base, long and medium slowish runs are the quality workouts for the week.  I'm entering the next phase where I'm doing a tempo run once a week to develop the systems that'll (hopefully) allow me to run faster longer but the pace of most of my runs is nothing to brag about.

jespsf

thanks for responding...im building my own plan based on a lot of others ive seen and some books ive read...ive run 50 mpw for for about 6 out of the last 7 weeks and am taking a couple weeks very low key to recharge before i start a 16 week cycle...i have the first 4 weeks figured out pretty good in that i am going to go 32, 40, 50, 55, 44 (cut back week), concentrating on longs runs...then i figure i will go a little higher, and peak at somewhere between 60-70 or so...all the while keeping up the long runs and mixing in some pace and speed work...i have the concepts and the theory decently thought out, i think...what i want to know is during a 16 week training cycle, whats the most amount of weekly mileage you plan to do? this is what i was leaning towards:

32, 40, 50, 55, 44, 60, 60, 60, 60, 48, 65, 70, 70, 56, 45  Race Week

i feel like i could physically handle the mileage starting from my base of 50...but 70 sounds like a lot and i dont want to lose the ability or desire to do those speed and pace workouts necessary in the second half of training...so i just want to get an idea of how you folks handle your mileage points...

thanks!

Julia1971

what i want to know is during a 16 week training cycle, whats the most amount of weekly mileage you plan to do?

i feel like i could physically handle the mileage starting from my base of 50...but 70 sounds like a lot and i dont want to lose the ability or desire to do those speed and pace workouts necessary in the second half of training...so i just want to get an idea of how you folks handle your mileage points...

thanks!

I basically followed the programs in Pfitz Advanced Marathoning.  For my first marathon, I started with a training group but pretty much dropped them mid-way through and did the Pfitz plan that peaks at 70.  This go around, I'm also planning to peak at 70ish.  But for my last two marathon cycles, I peaked at 85ish.  My log is public right now if you want to see how any of that looked.  Last cycle was mid-December to April 16th and the two times before that were late November through mid-March.  I think what helps me do higher mileage than most without injury/breaking down is that I run the easy stuff very slow - like 2 min/mile slower than marathon pace slow.

As far as the speed workouts at the end, I don't know if that's ever been a factor for me.  I'm usually so excited to do a speed workout that I find my inner speed demon pretty easily.  Plus, the plan I follow doesn't have tons of speed work anyway.  Again, just once a week at the end.  I think it uses tune up races to sharpen speed instead.

ETA:  Good luck!  Looking forward to reading how it goes.

jespsf

thanks for the insight...when i put the finishing touches on my plan, i'll let you know...did you live in your running clothes for those 4 months? i must've only seen 2 total rest days...im sort of afraid to start letting that last rest day go...i think that will finally push me headlong into insanity...

Yikes!  I hope you get good news from the surgeon.

18 in 2:40 is not shabby at all.  

I haven't heard of R2S.  How far are you running for your portion of the relay?

River 2 Sea relay. It's from the northern part of NJ down south to the ocean. My first leg is 8 miles and the second is 5.5.

Thanks though not sure if I'm going to see him or not. Went to regular doctor and am having a neuropathy panel done and he's looking to get me into the Neurologist since he's not happy with how fast things are progressing. 

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Julia1971

Had my first sports massage today.  She was kneading my quads so hard I think she hit bone.  "That leg might be a little sore tomorrow".  Yeah, I kinda figured since it hurts NOW.

RockenMama, good luck in the race and I'm hoping you'll get some good news from the docs.

Jespsf, yeah, I was determined not to miss a single workout last cycle.  I have a scheduled off day now and am not sure I like it.  I feel like I'm a litte stale the next day and I find myself thinking about skipping or pushing back workouts.  I may go to a floating off day instead, i.e., taking an off day when I want one rather than every week like clockwork.

Julia1971

I thought I’d post an update...

I had my first 20+ miler today.  It was pretty painful.  My legs were pretty beat up from a tempo and two medium runs the week before.  But, the best part was that I managed to do the whole run as one chunk!  I've been breaking my long runs up or just running them terribly due to the heat.  But, it was only high 70s today w/high 70% humidity so I went for it.  

I tried to model the course after the NYCM by putting some hill stretches up front and then another climb midway.  I'm getting mixed intel on how hilly the course is.  I can't really see anything to freak out about from the map and my BFF who has run it a few times tells me the bridges are all hills but they aren't a big deal, but one friend is being adamant about being prepared for them so I'm going to work a couple hills into my runs to cover my bases.

Looking ahead, I have some doubles coming up in the schedule.  But given that the 18/70 schedule gives me an off day, I may just do the 4 miler on the off day.  It’s really hard fitting in that second run after work.  And, tune up races are about 3 weeks away!  Hopefully, I can edit some of those 2012 PRs in my signature.  (I'm looking at you 10K PR).

Hope everyone’s training is going well!

Clive can you take me off the list? I will not be running  Wine glass. Thanks

Clive can you take me off the list? I will not be running  Wine glass. Thanks

Sad

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau