Sub-3:30 Marathon in 2012 Goal Thread (Read 4592 times)

Put me down for Country Music Marathon on April 28th.

My goal is an aggressive 3:15

--

Nashville, TN

j_d

I'm running Boston to for charity (http://www.crowdrise.com/jimdowd1) so I got a free pass to run. My goal is to run a qualifying time for next year 3:20 (I'm 43) to ease my sandbagging conscience. I ran the Providence half-marathon last spring and ran 1:39, so IF I can just do that x2 I should be ok. I raced cyclocross this fall and didn't run much at all, but my fitness is pretty good and I'm in my 4th week of training and I'm feeling good. Boston will be my first marathon and I can't wait!

hairshirt knitter

It's been a while since I checked in here. The running has been going quite well, especially mixing cycling in now. Windchill on my 8mile gmp run today was -16c - bracing!

I'm having a change of plan with regard my goal race though. I have 4 goals for 2012 (the same ones as several other folk here); sub-20 5k, sub-1:30 half and sub-3:30 marathon. In addition I want to do a 70.3 half-ironman triathlon. My marathon last year was in summer, and despite a careful recovery, I never felt like I really got going again after it. I'm worried that a Spring marathon will knock out my other goals instead of providing a base mileage to get faster off (the original plan).

The triathlon I would like to do is in early August, so I'm thinking to schedule a marathon in October/November. Many of the 5k races around here are early season so that fits and the faster pacework should help for a goal half-marathon in June/July.

The Valley Harvest marathon (http://www.valleyharvestmarathon.com/) is early October which only gives 8/9 weeks after the 70.3, but could you put me down for that race instead?

Oh... and good job Julia1971 - you're going great guns, well done!

Add me to the list. I'll be shooting for sub 3:30 May 20th at Run for the Red, assuming I don't injure myself before then. I'm also training for a 50 mile race towards the end of March. 

I'm KINDA of doing Pfitz 18/85 though tweaking it a bit since I'm training for a 50 mile race as well.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

C-R

I'm in. How about next weekend at Disney. 1/8

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Julia1971

4 weeks in now.  Everything is going smoothly and according to plan.  I think I’m actually enjoying my training.  But, I’m sure the loathing will kick in at some point...

Motivation this week has been being able to see where I was this time last training cycle and see the improvement.  (Thanks for the awesome site, Eric!)  My “look what I can do” moment was finishing my 20 miler yesterday in under 3 hours.

@Rubhadudh: Thanks for the encouragement.  I know what you mean re goal setting and racing shorter distances well after months of endurance training.  FWIW, I ran my best 5K time a little over a month after my last marathon.  I think some of it was confidence.  I think I tend to doubt myself during the last mile of a 5Ks and all those long tempo runs helped me believe I could hold pace.  But, YMMV.

@C-R: How was Disney?

Miles Last Week: 72

Goal for This Week: 10 miles @ MP on Saturday.

dsocha

Ra Due Runner

Looking forward to breaking sub 3:30.  Close on my first one but know I can do better.  Want to do a spring one (Shires of vermont marathon)and then in the fall tackle Adirondack marathon again.  Would love to come in under 3:20....Is it possible when all I run on average is 30 miles per week.  Good luck everyone.

Goals

Log 1500

13.1 under 1:40  1:30

26.2 under 3:45  3:15

TropicalAndrew

Will have a shot at 3.30 in my first marathon in Milton Keynes, England, on 30 April - 16 weeks today...  that's if the persistent hip injuries stay away. Here's hoping. 10k PB 44:17, Half 1:38 (hilly, with a cold) so I hope to be there or thereabouts.

Nice work on your long run and weekly consistency Julia!

Great race CR! That sub 3:30 is yours for the taking!

Hope to hear your hip is a non issue for the remaining 16 weeks Andrew!

As for me I just finished my 4th week of 80+ miles each week. Ended this week with a nice tempo paced 5k and a 16 mile long run. It was supposed to be a recovery week, which it was for the most part except for the extra mileage and tempo this morning.

Hope everyone has a great week of training this coming week! 

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

put me down for Milton Keynes Marathon on April 29th.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I'm in. How about next weekend at Disney. 1/8

3:32?  So close!  Bet you wish you didn't wear that Goofy costume the whole run. Wink

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Well, I may be a day or two late in checking in with this thread, but my first week of Pfitz's 18/85 went smashingly well. 

Planned Weekly Mileage: 65 miles

Actual Weekly Mileage:  75.2 miles.  Whoops. 

Highlights of the Week: The lactate threshold run was much easier than I thought it would be, held 6:50-6:53 for four miles, despite snow and ice.  I was also less tired from the race I did the previous Sunday than I expected I would be, and my "general aerobic" run on Friday was phenomenal.  Everything else, I ran easy.

Low Points:  Nothing.  Ran more mileage and more hills than I planned on, and I can't complain about that!

On Tap for Next Week:  67 miles

What I'm Freaking Out About:  17 miles with 8 at marathon pace.  Yikes.

I also might be being talked into running a race on Saturday.  That's...totally the same thing as a recovery, right?

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                          Emil Zatopek

Biking Bad

finnegan begin again

Norm (C-R), nice run at Disney. It looks like the pieces are coming together for Boston. 

I'm back to running a little . Spent the last few weeks cross training. I had hoped to base build going into an 18 week plan towards Pittsburgh. I'm not over my plantar fasciitis. We'll see which way it goes.

Stay healthy everyone

"... the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value..."  Thomas Paine Dec 23, 1776 The Crisis 

Adversity is the first path to truth. Lord Byron

"No one plans to fail…..they fail to plan" Skinny Pete

You can take me off the Surf City Marathon on 2/4. Not gonna happen. 

However - I ran Marine Corps in October and posted a 3:29:58!!!  Woohoo!!!!

Next one is Garden Spot Village Marathon on 3/31/12. Hoping to go sub-3:20

C-R

Thanks all. It was a perfect day to race. The six pee breaks did me though.

I had lots of fun and will crush this motha at Boston.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/