Sub-3:30 Marathon in 2012 Goal Thread (Read 4592 times)

northernman

Fight The Future

Clive,

I'm sorry for the bother (and sorry it's not true), but you have my time on the front page a bit too fast. I came in at 3:21:56, not a minute faster, as you put it.

Julia1971

CliveF,

The footnote on my Ogden has been driving me mad so I raced St. George this weekend. I ran a 3;28:48. A new PR and truely a sub 3;30. Can I be a full graduate now? 

Phaedra

Congratulations on your race!

fake it till you make it

Congrats Phaedra! 

northernman

Fight The Future

CliveF,

The footnote on my Ogden has been driving me mad so I raced St. George this weekend. I ran a 3;28:48. A new PR and truely a sub 3;30. Can I be a full graduate now? 

Phaedra

Nice job, Phaedra! Way to go! How was St. George? I've heard it's great, but you need to get in by lottery?

Julia1971

Hey Clive, just thought I'd give you a heads up that the Marine Corps Marathon is October 28th. 

Finished my last long run today and have started my taper!  I did today's run as a dress rehearsal including getting up at 5am but not heading out the door until 10am.  Did not sit outside in the cold wearing a sleeping bag, though.  Don't want to freak out the neighbors.  The run itself went pretty well.  I faded in a couple places.  I suspect it's probably fuel related so I'm going to think about eating more for breakfast and/or taking Gu earlier.  Other than that, I'm good to go.  I have a few logistical things to take care of but as NYCM said on FB this morning, "The hay is in the barn".  (Not that I really know what that means.  I'm not sure I've ever been in a barn to know anything about hay being in one or not.)

Julia1971

I ran the Army Ten Miler as my last tune-up race.  I think it’ll just barely be a PR, which is surprising to me because I was thinking that PR was a fluke since none of my other race times really matched up with it re McMillan.  Now that I’ve run that time twice, it begs the question of whether I’m over-performing in 10-milers or underperforming in everything else.  Hmm…  Let's hope it's the latter and I have more PRs ahead of me.  And, it was a good race leading up to NYCM because of the crowds.  I’m going to need to get to my corral super early, expect to feel a little crappy at the beginning for standing in the cold for so long, and be very patient in the first third of the race.  But, most of all, it's a very inspirational/motivational race and I’m so pumped to do my best at NYCM right now!

Hey Clive, just thought I'd give you a heads up that the Marine Corps Marathon is October 28th.

Whoops!  Thanks!

Blush

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Julia1971

Whoops!  Thanks!

Blush

Thank YOU for keeping track of us.  Smile

Biking Bad

finnegan begin again

And, it was a good race leading up to NYCM because of the crowds.  I’m going to need to get to my corral super early, expect to feel a little crappy at the beginning for standing in the cold for so long, and be very patient in the first third of the race.  But, most of all, it's a very inspirational/motivational race and I’m so pumped to do my best at NYCM right now!

Julia, They will close the corral at a certain time. Those that miss it will have to start in the next Wave. Once in the corral, there were a few porta-johns. At some point they release the corrals to walk a few hundred yards snaking around to the beginning of the Verrazano Narrow Bridge. Many people then have the opportunity to advance their starting position by aggressively working towards the front.  Just an FYI if you are interested. Bloomberg will say a few words, the National Anthem will be played and...'New York, New York' will be played as you ascend the bridge. If you stay close to the median you may find a lane. Many will wander toward the edge of the bridge to view, pee, or watch guys pee.

To be certain, the only time I felt truly felt unimpeded was after the Queensboro Bridge around MM 15? onto 1st Ave to the Bronx.  It will then narrow and again seem crowded.

"... the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value..."  Thomas Paine Dec 23, 1776 The Crisis 

Adversity is the first path to truth. Lord Byron

"No one plans to fail…..they fail to plan" Skinny Pete

Julia1971

At some point they release the corrals to walk a few hundred yards snaking around to the beginning of the Verrazano Narrow Bridge. Many people then have the opportunity to advance their starting position by aggressively working towards the front.  Just an FYI if you are interested.

Oh, I'm interested.  Thanks!  Every little bit helps.  I only saw two sub-3:20s from last year with 20K+ bib numbers.  I plan to shock and amaze.

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

OK, I posted in the original thread way back, then turned my attention to LHR training, regaining my health, and laying down a few ultras. Didn't realize THIS thread wasn't the original... But, now I'm back to say, I did it... Detroit Free Press Marathon today - 3:14:23. :-D

Liz

pace sera, sera

northernman

Fight The Future

Oh, I'm interested.  Thanks!  Every little bit helps.  I only saw two sub-3:20s from last year with 20K+ bib numbers.  I plan to shock and amaze.

With your 10 mile race at 1:08, I'm sure you will! That equates to a 3:11 marathon!!! Go Julia!

How's the taper going?

Julia1971

With your 10 mile race at 1:08, I'm sure you will! That equates to a 3:11 marathon!!! Go Julia!

How's the taper going?

Today is the 10 day mark!  The taper is going well.  I had to move some things in the Pfitz 18/70 schedule around since the Army Ten Miler was on Sunday.  So, I did my long run on Monday but am back on schedule now...  I don't know that it feels much like a taper, yet.  For example, I'm about to head out for miles w/3x1 mile @ 5K pace today.  That sounds hard!  With tropical storm Sandy coming through, I may have to make another change in the taper and move my last long run to Saturday or Monday.  I'm crossing my fingers for the Marine Corps Marathon folks that the rain won't be too hard and the winds will be light.  The forecast looks nasty. 

Dad, Runner, Programmer

I'm crossing my fingers for the Marine Corps Marathon folks that the rain won't be too hard and the winds will be light.  The forecast looks nasty. 

I'm running the Marine Corps this Sunday and I've been watching the forecast like a hawk. If it does end up being crazy rain and wind, does it make sense for me to adjust my expectations? I have no experience racing in the rain. Do heavy shoes end up adding a few seconds per mile? Or maybe the wind will be even worse.

2015 Goal:For now, keep running!

OK, I posted in the original thread way back, then turned my attention to LHR training, regaining my health, and laying down a few ultras. Didn't realize THIS thread wasn't the original... But, now I'm back to say, I did it... Detroit Free Press Marathon today - 3:14:23. :-D

Hey, I didn't  want to let this one go by without saying CONGRATS!  Was that a PR, and if so, by how much?

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau