Sub-3:30 Marathon in 2012 Goal Thread (Read 4592 times)

Julia1971

keep that monster in it's cage, at least for a few more weeks k Julia!

As for me. 100 miles for the week.  Very happy with how this week went. It's hard trying to balance ultra training and marathon training at the same time. I find myself juggling one week being a "mileage" whore and then the next week trying to get my speed work in while trying to also recover from a heavy mileage week.  My goal for next week is to get some Marathon paced work in my long run and some 15k-HM pace work in a mid long run though I'm not sure I'll have it this week. Builders started building on new houses across the street and my allergies are kicking my butt. I'm a little worried that I could make things worse if I try to do speed work this week. Will just have to take things day by day

I'll try.  When I finally get to race, I'm thinking I'll start running waving my arms in the air like a crazy lady.

Congrats on the 100 mile week!  What are they stirring up that you're allergic to?  I'm allergic to mold and with the mild winter we've had, I'm expecting to feel like I'm coming down with something in a few weeks.  But, I'm allergic to the entire planet - grass, trees, pets, mold - you name it.

I'll try.  When I finally get to race, I'm thinking I'll start running waving my arms in the air like a crazy lady.

Congrats on the 100 mile week!  What are they stirring up that you're allergic to?  I'm allergic to mold and with the mild winter we've had, I'm expecting to feel like I'm coming down with something in a few weeks.  But, I'm allergic to the entire planet - grass, trees, pets, mold - you name it.

LOTS of dust, plus they poured concrete a few days ago which can cause allergy issue's. . Like you I am allergic to the entire planet and have been since I was a kid.  Thankfully they are finally building there because before they started it was just a vacant lot with LOTS and LOTS of weeds. It doesn't help that our weather has been so weird. 

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

I thought about clarifying this earlier...  I hope people aren't reading my updates and thinking they need to run 85 miles/week to run sub-3:30.  I run 85 miles/week because it's a challenge.  To be honest, I think I get more out of training for the marathon than I get out of running it.  (In fact, for my last one, I couldn't be bothered to line up transportation to make sure I got to the race on time.  LOL!)  I prove something to myself almost every week.

I'm glad you clarified, I came on here to snoop on other people's schedules, but now I'm even more afraid.  It looks like for my last marathon (3:34) although I peaked at 65mi, for the last pre-taper miles I did 58mi a week on average.  My long runs were around 9mi/mi and my 10 mile runs were at an 8 min/mi.  In the marathon before that with my 3:39, I was a little less mileage but had 7:30/7mi tempos and 8:20 long runs.  I improved because of having three 10+ mi runs every week, even though the longest long run was 4 miles shorter. 

I had been focusing on getting my miles up a little, not being overly successful, and not focusing enough on speed.   I ran about 19 mi on the weekend ('about' is a boring story) and my legs are still really ticked off.  I limped through 7mi yesterday, literally.  Anyway, I'm just complaining in general that I need to get faster and run longer than I am right now, just to get the same time I did in my last marathon.  I don't like to not PR, and I certainly don't like to not PR when it's Boston. 

If only I could get my leg muscles to co-operate, I'd do some intervals as that will get me faster quickly. 

I'm really hoping the lingering muscle soreness from the 19 was just a bad run, I did get away with a 16mi longest run during my last training, I'm wondering whether I should do that this time around, to ensure all of my other runs are quality.  So far I'm two runs in after the long run and both weren't worth a damn. 

Julia1971 -- 28OCT2012 -- Marine Corps (Washington DC)

CliveF -- 08DEC2012 -- Rocket City (Huntsville AL)

AussieGirl76 --

2012 Graduates:

Me - Boston - April 16. 

I'm glad you clarified, I came on here to snoop on other people's schedules, but now I'm even more afraid.  It looks like for my last marathon (3:34) although I peaked at 65mi, for the last pre-taper miles I did 58mi a week on average.

I don't intend doing anything like that much, if it helps you to feel any better.

Do what you want, just how you like. Nobody has to know.

you're setting your first marathon goal as a sub 3:30, you're way bolder than I was.  Life ceased to be fun beyond mile 22 that first time...and the second time. 

Well, I *might* be; I won't decide that until April 1st.  I have another one in October. 

Do what you want, just how you like. Nobody has to know.

Julia1971

I'm glad you clarified, I came on here to snoop on other people's schedules, but now I'm even more afraid.  It looks like for my last marathon (3:34) although I peaked at 65mi, for the last pre-taper miles I did 58mi a week on average.  My long runs were around 9mi/mi and my 10 mile runs were at an 8 min/mi.  In the marathon before that with my 3:39, I was a little less mileage but had 7:30/7mi tempos and 8:20 long runs.  I improved because of having three 10+ mi runs every week, even though the longest long run was 4 miles shorter. 

I had been focusing on getting my miles up a little, not being overly successful, and not focusing enough on speed.   I ran about 19 mi on the weekend ('about' is a boring story) and my legs are still really ticked off.  I limped through 7mi yesterday, literally.  Anyway, I'm just complaining in general that I need to get faster and run longer than I am right now, just to get the same time I did in my last marathon.  I don't like to not PR, and I certainly don't like to not PR when it's Boston. 

If only I could get my leg muscles to co-operate, I'd do some intervals as that will get me faster quickly. 

I'm really hoping the lingering muscle soreness from the 19 was just a bad run, I did get away with a 16mi longest run during my last training, I'm wondering whether I should do that this time around, to ensure all of my other runs are quality.  So far I'm two runs in after the long run and both weren't worth a damn. 

Don't be afraid!  Everyone's different.  There are tons of people who run great times on less mileage.  And 50-60 mpw is nothing to sneeze at.  I think most runners accomplish a lot at that level.  I imagine that's probably the level most marathoners aim for.  That or maybe a little more but not by much.

Are you following a plan or something?

on paper yes, if you look at my schedule, no.

I had started out with a combination of a few previous well known schedules and combined the best (for me) aspects of each.  I think my #1 issue was trying to do too many miles, which had the opposite effect.  I see value in long runs up to 20 miles, but also of mid-week runs of 10 miles.  Also, using a bike a few times a week, core and all of that, helps me to be a stronger runner.  Again mostly on paper.

Tis my own fault.  However, my body responds quickly to some intervals to improve my overall speed and I have 6 weeks until taper.  I'll be interested to see how much I can improve.  If i don't PR, it's gonna stink.  Granted I run slower on a treadmill than I do outside, but during my casual run last night while watching TV I was only running a 9:23.  Way hey hey too slow.  I can run faster too, I just haven't been, therefore I don't know yet how far from a 3:30 marathon I am. 

man I sound pitiful - I just need a few decent pace runs and I'll stop worrying so much  Cool

Julia1971

man I sound pitiful - I just need a few decent pace runs and I'll stop worrying so much  Cool

+1.  And, I wouldn't say pitiful, but I think the rule is that you can't freak out about your training until you start your taper.  Smile 

+1.  And, I wouldn't say pitiful, but I think the rule is that you can't freak out about your training until you start your taper.  Smile 

+1 again unless like me you find yourself with a bad cough. Thought it was allergies however it sounds like what my son had for 3 almost 4 weeks and turns out my FIL is in his 3rd week of it as well. Got my miles in today however the speed part was a no go and my marathon paced long run is in jeopardy as well if this cough doesn't go away Sad

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Julia1971

+1 again unless like me you find yourself with a bad cough. Thought it was allergies however it sounds like what my son had for 3 almost 4 weeks and turns out my FIL is in his 3rd week of it as well. Got my miles in today however the speed part was a no go and my marathon paced long run is in jeopardy as well if this cough doesn't go away Sad

Ugh!  Big Pharma to the rescue?  Okay, here's my Ms. Brightside comment...  Bring it and get it over with.  Better to get sick now than closer to race day...  That's all I got.  Smile

Ugh!  Big Pharma to the rescue?  Okay, here's my Ms. Brightside comment...  Bring it and get it over with.  Better to get sick now than closer to race day...  That's all I got.  Smile

You are so right on! BRING IT! It won't stop me from running my miles, it will just screw with my speed workouts. Not much of an issue for my race next month,

have you tried those Cold Ease type things that dissolve in water?  I even take one after a long run, or when I have a sore throat.  I find them really effective.  Obviously if you have an infection only antibiotics will get it, hope you feel better soon.

I tried an 8:06 pace last night, thinking I couldn't maintain it, but did effortlessly for 6.5mi - while watching cupcake wars.  I guess even though I've been running slow for so many months, it's like riding a bike!

I'm still wondering how much of an edge I need over my previous training to take off 4+ minutes and actually get the sub-3:30.  I'm thinking faster MP/tempo type runs than I had done, and some more weekly miles.  I'm doing a bit of bike cross training and core and stuff.  I'm also trying to lose a couple of pounds that should be lost.  Am I missing something?