Sub-3:30 Marathon in 2012 Goal Thread (Read 4592 times)

Wow!  Were you tempted to run 0.1 miles to make that an even 104?  I guess you can round up.  Slacker.  Wink

It sounds like you're on the mend.  Yay!  I'm looking forward to seeing how it all works out for you.  I gotta believe hard work and consistency pays off.

Because my first goal race is an Ultra I've kind of been modifying my plan and to tell you the truth I never really pay attention to the total mileage. Had I known, sure I would have done .1 

Ok so I'm BARELY into my taper and I'm starting to go nuts. I have no real plan put together for these last few weeks other than a few key workouts since technically I am still training for my goal Marathon in May.  It's a gorgeous day out and for a change I got out for my furn at 8 am this morning. Now I have time for a second run however I'm debating should I or shouldn't I. Not like it's going to make or break my 50 miler.  I am planning on lifting weights later this afternoon so if I can hold out and not run. Guess I should take some time and get my next 3 weeks planned out and do my best to stick to them. GAHHHHHH I hate taper!!!! I shouldn't be feeling so good!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Hope you are able to shake the cold you're getting Ryan before it grabs hold!  Congrats on your 10k. It's always nice when you can run on at least part of the course that you have a race planned for!  Hope your week goes well!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Ughhhhh blisters between the toes HATE THEM.  That is the whole reason I started wearing Injinji socks. Try to enjoy your taper stadjak!

Finally had to lance a blister on my big-toe.  It was just growing and growing after 5 days.  Let's see how this goes. :/

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I suspect it's fashionable for runners to complain about the taper.  "Oh, woe is me, I can't run my 100miles this week.  Only 80."

However, since I'm in my first taper right now, I am noticing some things that I'm not sure are attributable to this general experience, or if they are specific to me.

- My mood is certainly 'low'.  Before the taper I was pretty excited and felt neigh unstoppable.  Now i feel "meh".  Even after runs, I'm not that happy [ostensibly] about the run.

- I don't feel "well rested" in any way I'd identify.  I'm not as beat as the last part of the sharpening period, but I don't feel "super fresh" either.  Maybe I'm running my easy runs too fast (MP+20sec) even though that now feels easy (by breathing/effort).

I'm not anxious, as far as I can tell.  But I thought I'd feel super-charged and brimming with infinite legs by now.

Normal?

(okay, maybe a bit anxious)

Probably normal.  Just wait till you start getting random phantom injuries that magically get better on race day morning

I suspect it's fashionable for runners to complain about the taper.  "Oh, woe is me, I can't run my 100miles this week.  Only 80."

However, since I'm in my first taper right now, I am noticing some things that I'm not sure are attributable to this general experience, or if they are specific to me.

- My mood is certainly 'low'.  Before the taper I was pretty excited and felt neigh unstoppable.  Now i feel "meh".  Even after runs, I'm not that happy [ostensibly] about the run.

- I don't feel "well rested" in any way I'd identify.  I'm not as beat as the last part of the sharpening period, but I don't feel "super fresh" either.  Maybe I'm running my easy runs too fast (MP+20sec) even though that now feels easy (by breathing/effort).

I'm not anxious, as far as I can tell.  But I thought I'd feel super-charged and brimming with infinite legs by now.

Normal?

Yeah, man.  You have done the work.  Don't talk/think yourself out of it.  Line up happy and hopeful and let it roll.  

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I've tapered pretty severely the last couple weeks -- I think -- and I tend to feel sore and tired when I go out for my short little jogs. This isn't a big confidence-booster.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Julia1971

Normal?

It seems like the normal over-thinking, second-guessing activiity of a tapering marathoner.  Congratulations!   Smile 

Julia1971

Week 13 was my last 80+ mile week.  Woo hoo!  The race last weekend made me feel really good about my training.  I looked ahead at the schedule and it looks pretty easy even though I'm still 2 weeks away from my taper.  I do have two more tune up races, though.

I had my last marathon pace run yesterday - 20 miles w/14 @ goal MP.  I went in nervous about it because the 10 miler last weekend took a lot out of me and I didn't feel very rested.  I head out the door and the wind is really whipping, so another sign I might not have a good run.  I'd planned an out and back.  I changed it a bit so I could end the run with the wind at my back but I still ended up running 7 miles into 12-15 mph winds.  By the time I was finished, I was spent.  But, I averaged 7:39 pace.  So, I'm still feeling good about trying to go just under 3:20.  Like 3:19:59.  Smile

Miles Last Week: 86

Goal for This Week: Finish a half marathon, my second tune up race, under 1:35:00.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Smoke'n, Julia.  One heck of a pace.

hairshirt knitter

Well done you big milers - not long until Boston. Speaking of which, I just realised that I moved up an age group and cut 10 mins from my qualifying time, 3:25 for 2013! I hadn't planned to run a marathon until late autumn, but then that will be too late to enter for 2013. And do I really stand a chance of running significantly under 3:25?? What to do...

I'm not marathon training yet, just consistent all-round running, bit of speed work, bit of race pace, nothing longer than 25k. In common with many others, I noticed my 5k and half-marathon times line up with Daniels VDOT predictions nicely, but his expectation for marathon time is way faster than my reality; 3:10 ish. For anyone in a similar position, what do you think the key workouts are to turning a 1:30-ish half into a faster marathon?

So, this is where I complain about being in taper mode, right? 

Smile

Next marathon is March 25th--ORRRC in Xenia.  It's apparently Ohio's oldest marathon, but it's (more importantly) a great, cheap club marathon put on by some great people.  A large number of people from my running group are heading out.  I intend to go sub 3:30, but I have no real goal time--just going to run the race best I can and see what comes of it.  My last marathon was a 3:39, but, well, that was after 5 months of running :-P.  I'll have a whopping 10 months behind me for this one Wink

It's in the taper mode that I feel absurdly green again.

Last week was just shy of seventy miles (aaaaah taper--no medium long run on Friday!), which felt great coming off of the race/sickness the prior week.  The 600m repeats (6 @ 5:57 - 6:07 pace) went well and took shockingly less out of me than the 800s I've done previously.  Followed them the next days with a ~13.5 mile, absurdly hilly (~1500 feet of climbing) run with one of my coworkers before a meeting.  It was supposed to be 10.  We got lost on country roads.  The first five out (away from work) were tailwind aided.  This, of course, meant the way back involved a little suffering Smile.  We also work at the highest point in the state....so the way back involved a long, steady climb.

Ended up doing my 17 miler for the week on trails.  Why? I'm an idiot, and I hate my quads.  I feel I need to make them suffer.  Also, it was a beautiful day.  Ended up being my dog's longest run, as she stuck with me for the whole 17.2 miles and generally made me look bad like it took nothing out of her.

Longest run this week will be 13 miles if I follow the plan (I'm terrible about following the plan).  Other key workout is nine miles with three miles @ ~5K pace and 50-90% recovery between.

So, stadjak, you are totally in line with the "typical" marathoner crazy, far as I can tell.  Looking forward to seeing you crush your first marathon--you're better prepared than I was.  Trust the training--you're going to rock it.

Julia and rockenmama, I'm looking forward to race reports!  My first ultra is going to be this summer...and my second and third, I think.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                          Emil Zatopek

Julia1971

Ended up being my dog's longest run, as she stuck with me for the whole 17.2 miles and generally made me look bad like it took nothing out of her.

Okay, I think your dog needs her own log.  I know I would love reading the notes from her runs.  "It's so nice out.  My human is the best.  Running is great...  Squirrel!!!"

Sounds like you're feeling very good.  Looking forward to your race report...

Are you next rgilbert? I'll never get sub 3:30 when compared to you guys. Hopefully I get up there in mileage with my oct 50mi, you guys rock
                              xor

>> I'll never get sub 3:30 when compared to you guys.

The good news is that it doesn't really work that way.