Sub-3:30 Marathon in 2012 Goal Thread (Read 4592 times)

Julia1971

>> I'll never get sub 3:30 when compared to you guys.

The good news is that it doesn't really work that way.

+1.  I feel like everyone who has ever run a great marathon time on less than 50 mpw is coming out of the wood works to let me know about it.

AussieGirl, at the beginning of this training cycle, I had some doubts myself - after my surgery this summer, I could barely shuffle down the block let alone run.  But, I heard a quote (at the end of Criminal Minds, no less) that I really liked.  It's from Eleanor Roosevelt and I think it's really about WWII and not sport, but the last line inspired me to work harder this time around:

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face.  You are able to say to yourself, 'I have lived through this horror.  I can take the next think that comes along.'  You must do the thing you think you cannot do.

If you really are doubting whether you can do it, that's all the more reason to do it.  Work your plan and make it happen.

I had a plan, up to 70 per week, but my body, schedule and motivation (mostly body) weren't into it. I'm at a little more mileage, more 20's, maybe a couple of pounds less, will be more stretched to avoid the 22miles of butt pain, so I could drop that 4+mins to get me below 3:30. The thing is that I know I'm close to or at as good as I'm gonna get, speed wise so we'll see. 4 weeks left. Thanks for the encouragement!

correction, I'm at a little less mileage.  Some IT band issues last week and schedule issues the week prior dropped me down in mileage.  Oh well, tis what it is, just motivates you to do a little better next time. 

I know if I finish with the thought of 'I can run faster', I'll want to do another marathon, but if I don't PR and/or give it all I have and only improve by a minute, then I'll probably just head to something else. 

I still have an October 50mi.

Good luck Sunday, stadjak!

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Thanks, might need it.  Feeling kinda stiff.  Knees were a little rusty on my Intervals yesterday; isn't a crappy short(3:00)-intervals-at-marathon-race-pace supposed to feel super easy?  I just couldn't get into the zone.

Also, 77F?!  I'm hoping race day isn't too hot.  Right now it's 40F over what I trained for.  Right now Sunday is predicted 62F and Fog (ie, humid).  This could get a little rough.

Ah, well.  Fingers crossed!

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

+1!!

+2 Smile!

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                Emil Zatopek

Good luck and kick some butt stadjak!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Impact of temperature on Marathon race results:

http://fellrnr.com/wiki/Impact_of_Heat_on_Marathon_Performance 

3:30 => 3:44:42 (9%) at 60F

Joking

You are now over thinking. Not sure there would be a 10 % penalty at 60 F vs 40.   Probably if it get warmer than 60, then I'd see a performance drop off but I don't see a big difference for any of my runs at 30-60, but obviously everyone is different.   

Shhh -- he's got phantom pains and is stressing about the weather.  We're enjoying the tweaking.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Impact of temperature on Marathon race results:

http://fellrnr.com/wiki/Impact_of_Heat_on_Marathon_Performance 

3:30 => 3:44:42 (9%) at 60F

Joking

I wonder how  the heat will affect my 50 miler next weekend. Anyone have a linky? Joking

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

CliveF: hah!  Thanks, you made my day. Big grin

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I wonder how  the heat will affect my 50 miler next weekend. Anyone have a linky? Joking

You're going to sit down at each aid station, soak your feet in a tub of ice water, and eat several courses, whilst drinking many cups of fluid. RIght? Then I'm sure it won't affect you much.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Julia1971

+3.  Looking forward to hearing how your first marathon went.  Don't forget to enjoy it while you're crushing it.