The point of no return... (Read 614 times)

2008 Philly Trifecta

Well...T-minus 4 days until my 1st HM 11/18. I've run 10k, 8k, and 5k Race time is at 7am. Going over the mental preparations for the run. I had experienced some knee problems a few weeks ago, but am on the mend. My longest run to date is 10mi a few weeks ago. I missed my next 2 long runs 11mi & 12mi...but I'm gonna run it anyways... I heard somewhere, and have adopted this strategy for myself. When I wake-up Sunday morning, I am just going to act as though I'm going for a 5k run... Once I complete a 5k, then I'll do a 10k... After, heck I could do another 5k no problem, right?? the hope is that the adrenaline will push me over the last mile to the finish line... Any tips from the more experienced in the bunch? Dave

***Check out my site: where I've been, and where I'm going @ releasetherunner.blogspot.com
    2008 Philly Trifecta:
    10 Mile Broad St Run-5/4
    Philly Distance Run HM-9/21
    Philly Marathon-11/23
    "A goal not written down is only a dream...!"

You'll do awesome, Dave! You've already done a 10 miler - you can definitely do 13.1. You've got the right idea on breaking up the race into smaller chunks. Do not, I repeat, do not, go past the 1st mile marker and go "oh no - 12.1 miles to go". Keep the race in small parts. I recommend only thinking about making it to the next mile marker or the next aid station. This is going to be easier than the 5k chunks you are thinking of. At the end of the race if that becomes too long of a goal for you, pick a spot a couple hundred yards ahead as your next goal. Something else that really helped me in my first half marathon was walking the aid stations. This gives you 30 seconds of rest plus the added benefit of not spilling the water or gatorade all over your shirt. I still do this at aid stations. The adrenaline plus the crowds and excitement will help get you to the finish line. Remember to have fun!

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

If you can run 10 miles then you can run a half mary. When you past the 6 mile mark, you can consider yourself halfway there. The last mile+ will take care of itself.

Run to Win
        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

va

The adrenaline plus the crowds and excitement will help get you to the finish line. Remember to have fun!
          This adrenaline will also allow you to run the first mile faster then you have EVER run before. Although its interesting to see how fast you can really run, it may be a better strategy to chill a little, and save something for the remaining 12.1 miles. Good luck and have fun!
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Any tips from the more experienced in the bunch? Dave
            I PRd my HM when this was at the 11 mile marker: The HM I did 5 weeks later wasn't quite as fast or as enjoyable/memorable. You're gonna do great. A friend of mine recently did her first HM and on only 10 miles as her longest run. She was only 5 minutes slower than my first HM, and I had done 13.5 miles before that race, so she really did great. You're going to be fine, too. Those last few miles are pure adrenaline and wanting to get to that finish line as fast as you can. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

bas

The last few kms/miles of my first half marathon didn't go so smooth, so maybe you should count on that possibility too... Still the others are right: once you are past 10 or 11 miles, you will know that you are going to run the rest of the race too. And when you accomplish all of it you will feel great! Enjoy! bas

52° 21' North, 4° 52' East

Another Passion

Good luck, Dave! You'll do just fine. Wink "but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." Isaiah 40:31

Rick
                "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                runningforcassy.blogspot.com

I do not like looking at as 5k, then 10, then another...To me that's harder mentally. My best case scenario played out like this in my first 1/2 on Nov. 3rd. Just go out easy with no plan but to run long comfortably. Then there should be a distance very familiar to you, near the latter stages of the race, that should signal, " Hey, I just x distance to go! Thats my easy run! I could do this in my sleep". For me this was at mile 9. I easily pictured myself being at the 4 miles left in a straight shot home to the house, and I knew I could go for it without giving up.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

2008 Philly Trifecta

Thanks everyone for the encouragement and advice...I'll post the details Sunday Wink "Just go out easy with no plan but to run long comfortably. Then there should be a distance very familiar to you, near the latter stages of the race, that should signal, " Hey, I just x distance to go! Thats my easy run! I could do this in my sleep". For me this was at mile 9. I easily pictured myself being at the 4 miles left in a straight shot home to the house, and I knew I could go for it without giving up." Thanks Pred! That sounds like a plan! And thanks Rvelich...words I will live my and mutter in the latter stages: "but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." Isaiah 40:31 Dave

***Check out my site: where I've been, and where I'm going @ releasetherunner.blogspot.com
                    2008 Philly Trifecta:
                    10 Mile Broad St Run-5/4
                    Philly Distance Run HM-9/21
                    Philly Marathon-11/23
                    "A goal not written down is only a dream...!"