What is a realistic Marathon GP? (Read 1111 times)

I ran my first HM last fall in 2:15, without having developed an adequate (none - not so smart) base. I'm doing a fall marathon and really just focusing on base building (20-25 miles per week) while throwing in very little tempo work right now. I am using a HRM and finally got my ranges set (Karvonen). I'm just curious to thoughts on what is really a realistic marathon GP for me? I respect the 26.2 so my real goal is to finish, but would be great to finish under 4 hours. I will be using the Runner's World Marathon plan starting at the beginning of July and will be running 4 days a week, currently at 3. Appreciate your insight.
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

You need to run a race now that you have a better base. From that, you can predict your marathon time and pace. Be careful, most of the predictors out there tend to be very optimistic, especially when it comes to your first marathon. For example, using a 2:00 HM, most would predict 4:10-4:20. Based on my experiences and observations, most 2 hour halfers would come in closer to 4:45 or longer in their first marathon. To get sub-4, you likely need to have run a HM under similar conditions to your marathon (weather, elevation profile, field size, etc) and in the same training cycle in 1:45 - 1:50.
      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Come on folks. Tell me I am wrong. I responded as a curmudgeon. Where are all you RA folks coming to support Bret? As a community, we gotta give him some hope, even if I did not... Wink
          Allright, allright. At a 9:10 pace is about four hours, so to cushion you'd be running 9 minute miles. How is that compared to your runs now?
          Kate ;) "The pain of regret is greater than the pain of self discipline."
            Trent, appreciate your insight and candor. I recently ran a very hilly 13.1 at 2:04 so I'm making strides and I also see in my resting HR (63 to 55). I would be at peace with a 4hr+ time, just as long as I finish. Here's what I'm doing prior to starting to prep in July. Sunday (long run) 10, 11, 12, 8 Tues - 7.4 (recovery - I finally get this now!) Thurs - 7.4 (9:30 pace, and will start throwing in some tempo at a 9:00 pace) Sat (5 miles easy) - probably in March
              Kate, I'm running at 9:30-9:40 now for my mid-long to long runs. I live in a pretty hilly area, so most of my runs include hills. After the HM I started doing some speed work, which worked (8:45miles), but I wasn't ready CV fitness wise (started getting upper resp. infections). Thanks!
              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Right. 4 hours is 9:09. But 9:09 sustained over 26.2 miles (including any walking or time you stop for water breaks, etc) really means that it is equivalent to an 8:30-8:45 sustainable pace over your longest runs. To break 4 hours, you really need to be able to run your 20-21 mile run in under 3 hours without too much strain (that is total time, not moving time) and be able to sustain 8:30-8:45 for five miles easily and without much strain. The hills are really good, but while they make you very strong, they do not prepare your legs well for a flat 'thon (where you will use the same set of muscles for the entire time). I think your view is great. The first marathon for most of us should be to finish it and to see what it is like to sustain 26.2 miles. You need to get the feel for running relatively slowly despite the excitement for the first half, then running the second half harder while you are tired and your body is screaming at you to stop. You need to learn what it feels like to crash at mile 20, and that you can recover and finish. Then you can take those lessons and apply them the next time around. Also, anything that motivates you is very helpful. Finishing this marathon in under 4 to show me (and the asphalt) who is boss is a fine motivator. So get out there and make it happen, enjoy the road, and be proud of your finish, no matter when it happens. Try to get in some 5ks to HM between now and your race. That will also help you guage your goal pace and abilities, and will help you learn to control your pace while running with a crowd.
                  I say you can do it, good luck! Smile
                  Kate ;) "The pain of regret is greater than the pain of self discipline."
                  Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I say you can do it, good luck! Smile
                    Now that's what I'm taling about!! Big grin
                      Thanks! Appreciate the insight and vote of confidence!
                        I think you can do it in under 3:30. Just run a tiny bit faster - like one minute per mile for miles 1-20 and then the last six two mins faster than if your goal was 4:00. I am sure you can do it! Now, doesnt 4:00 seem like such an easy, attainable goal? Shocked Coming from the women who doesn't run marathons. Big grin
                          Hey Dr. T - thread hijak. But did you notice the bananas in my avatar?
                          derek

I ran my first HM last fall in 2:15, without having developed an adequate (none - not so smart) base. I'm doing a fall marathon and really just focusing on base building (20-25 miles per week) while throwing in very little tempo work right now. I am using a HRM and finally got my ranges set (Karvonen). I'm just curious to thoughts on what is really a realistic marathon GP for me? I respect the 26.2 so my real goal is to finish, but would be great to finish under 4 hours. I will be using the Runner's World Marathon plan starting at the beginning of July and will be running 4 days a week, currently at 3. Appreciate your insight.
                            I would think it's actually a bit early to try and predict a marathon pace for a fall marathon. I'm hoping to run a marathon in Dec, but I don't plan on trying to predict a pace until I'm at least within a couple months of the marathon. There is a lot of training time between now and then and who knows how much (or how little) I will improve.

Derek