Running with audiobooks (Read 7325 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

When I used to walk, I enjoyed Lewis Black's Nothing Sacred and Jon Stewart's America.
    I would almost certainly like both of those...they crack me up. BTW, does anyone know who reads Barack Obama's books? I'm assuming he does the reading...at least I would hope that's the case.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I would almost certainly like both of those...they crack me up. BTW, does anyone know who reads Barack Obama's books? I'm assuming he does the reading...at least I would hope that's the case.
      I believe Fred Armisen reads Obama's books. BTW, Stewart's America is awesometastic as an audiobook, but believe me, it's worth it to get the print edition as well.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Barack Obama reads both of his books
        2009 Goals: Run 5x a week, Iron Horse Half-Marathon on a 6-month C2HM Program that completely made up and is probably unhealthy.
        jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Barack Obama reads both of his books
          Yes, but my answer, though intentionally incorrect, was much funnier. The trick, Bramsey99, is wait until zoom-zoom some gullible fool gets fished in before revealing the correct answer.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yes, but my answer, though intentionally incorrect, was much funnier. The trick, Bramsey99, is wait until zoom-zoom some gullible fool gets fished in before revealing the correct answer.
            *kick* Evil grin

~ Sarah Kay

Imminent Catastrophe

...(I know of a few Applescript hacks that allow you to convert regular MP3 files to AB format). ...
              Hey Jeff, is there one that converts stereo to mono? I do the "one earphone" thing for safety reasons but if it's stereo that doesn't work so well.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hey Jeff, is there one that converts stereo to mono? I do the "one earphone" thing for safety reasons but if it's stereo that doesn't work so well.
                I HIGHLY recommend the Sennheiser sport headphones. They have good sound, but also allow ambient noise in (I keep the volume at a level where I can hear the audio as clearly as if the singer or speaker were beside me, but I can also hear my own footsteps, birds, cars, other people out on the road or path). Plus they are very water resistant. I have run in downpours without them shorting out. And they are only $30-40/pair. I got over a year our of my first pair before the started getting flaky.

~ Sarah Kay

I like spy novels. Smile I've listened to 3 Vince Flynn books on my ipod now. Good stuff!
                  jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I checked ( http://dougscripts.com/itunes/ ) and didn't see one. I often do that trick, too (the one ear thing). You can manually convert stuff to mono, but that's a pain -- I wish the iPod had a mono-out option) ZZ, which Sennheisers do you have? I've been trying to decide between the MX75 (or MX85, which is the newest update) and the OMX70/80.

fanreffic

I like spy novels. Smile I've listened to 3 Vince Flynn books on my ipod now. Good stuff!
                      I did the Vince Flynn books, but I'd recommend limiting them to 1-2. All of his books sound the same and it seems like he lifts almost entire chapters of the main character (Mitch Rapp's) life and copies them into each book. and often repeats much of the same 1 to two times per book, just to make sure you get his point! Not as bad in a real book where it's easy to skim, but it was kinda torturous on a run! I do recommend Audible.com and although I let my membership lapse I have a huge collection of books from them now. The beauty of their system is that once you buy the book it's yours for life and can be downloaded any time for the same price that other places used to charge to rent audiobooks. Other authors that I enjoy are Michael Connelly, Joseph Finder, Nelson DeMille (The lion's game and all books with John Corey are a ton of fun), David Baldacci, and Robert Ludlum (make sure it's one of his original books, he's dead but his family allows ghost writers using his style to release new books that suck.)
                        If you run the Rockbox firmware on your IPOD, you can select mono output. Why Apple doesn't have mono option with their firmware on my Mini is Confused.

Vim

Go Pre!

You say that like it's a bad thing. Wink
                          I mean zoning out of the book and into other thoughts - 10 minutes would go by and I'd have no recollection of the story!
                          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

ZZ, which Sennheisers do you have? I've been trying to decide between the MX75 (or MX85, which is the newest update) and the OMX70/80.
                            I have the MX75s. They rock...but the 85s are orange instead of poison green, which will rock even more. They are worlds above those crappy white ones that come with the iPods...comfy, customizable fit, and the sound is so good, yet doesn't block out the world. Listened to the first half of my Chelsea Handler book...that was fabulous. She reads it like a stand-up comedy act (which is what she used to do) complete with funny voices and accents. Laugh out loud funny in spots.

~ Sarah Kay

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Had to add. I decided to try an audiobook yesterday and decided to re-listen to Freakonomics. I can't recommend that book enough - it is entertaining, incredibly interesting and LOL funny in spots. It is definitely my favorite.

TRUST THE PROCESS

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

(side note, I guess I'm the only person on earth who pretty much hated Naked. Me Talk Pretty was awesome, but I really didn't dig Naked)
                                I am also not fond of Naked...looking forward to the CDs I put on hold of Me Talk Pretty and Holidays On Ice to arrive at my library for me. I have to recommend Barrel Fever--especially the Parade story. I was laughing so hard that my legs could barely support me...felt like Jell-o.

~ Sarah Kay