Texas Independence Relay race report. Warning - long (Read 979 times)

Never written a race report before, so don't know where to start on an event spanning 3 days, 9 people and 203 miles. I guess I'll try to stick to a chronological order. It all started 3-4 months ago when Andreia posted an invitation about The relay and if any of us want to join. I remembered the relay I ran just when I was starting running semi-seriously and thought this would be fun. My decision was made when I saw the impressive group of runners signing up for the RA team. I have to be honest and say I was a bit intimidated to run with the likes of Jeff, Jscovill, Obsessor, Candice and Anda, all in a different league than I was, or will ever be. I was a bit disappointed when a few of original signers dropped out due to unknown reasons, except Mississippi, whose knee was not healing. Then the big shocker that almost made Anda cry virtually was when Jeff (Scovill) broke his foot a week from the race. I almost did not make the trip as I was in no shape to run over 20 miles, but when Jeff was even thinking about running on that broken foot, I had to go and run whatever I can. Andreia picked me up at the airport and others on the way, and we started getting to know each other intimately with 7 people jammed into her suburban, with all their luggage including sleeping bags, coolers and other assorted stuff. Met with Ira and our captain Tim (modal) at the hotel, and had a group dinner, to our shock we discovered they do not serve alcohol, and was BYOB. This no beer thing was to plague us all through the race. The race morning it was windy with 25-30 MPH gusts predicted all through the day. Otherwise it was cloudy and kept the temps down. The start was lower key than I expected, I guess because teams started in a staggered fashion with the slower teams starting at 6:00 AM and the faster teams not starting until 1:30 PM. Our race started with the blast of a cannon (each team gets to choose to start to either a cannon blast or a ring of a gong).We made the right choice as the person starting us off remarked that "we did not defend Texas with the ringing off a gong". Had a pleasant epilogue when all of us run together for about a mile around downtown Gonzales, which had some very beautiful houses, built by past Cattle barons, and plantation owners. I now regret not taking any pictures of them. Wynne (Pooh Bear) started us off, and the relay was underway. He handed off to Jeff and all of us were nervous about his foot and most of us secretly thinking this must be the most idiotic thing one can do. Jeff has other impressive accomplishments like hiking the Appalachian Trail, Pacific Crest Trail and California Coastal Trail, all 7500 miles of them in about 7 months, when completing one of those is a big accomplishment for most. There are only a handful of people who have done all three in a year, and canoeing the entire length of the Mississippi, so this was par for the course for him. I was relieved to see Jeff coming in strong and did not seem to be in too much pain, I am not sure how much Ibuprofen he was on. The next leg was run by Derek (obsessor), and was rated the most difficult leg due the length, terrain, and gravel road it has to be run on. It was very windy and hot as well. I eventually got to run after Anda finished her leg, and I was so nervous to start I immediately dropped the band (baton). The wind was definitely a factor as when I turned into it felt like running up a hill. I am not used to running in this windy condition. Thankfully it was a very short leg at only 2.45 min, which I finished in about 19:20, which was the fastest pace I ran for any race yet. I got to run around the one of the most remarkable landmark that we ran through Spoetzl brewery (other than the actual Texas independence memorials that this whole race was about). After I was done handed off to Todd (around the horn) who was a question mark as well for this race with decently missing cartilage in his knee. I don’t remember all the details after this except that we kept his up for another 20 hours, with no sleep, no real food, although after my second run I managed to sneak into the resting van and grab a sandwich at a one of the exchanges. We packed some leftover quesadillas for the other van, not sure if they would want to eat it, but I immediately regretted not getting some food for them as well, as they snapped up the cold quesadillas. Random thoughts about the race. We got to run through some old western looking towns that would be pretty if not so depressed (Flatonia). I sadistically wanted to see a runner try and beat the frequent trains crossing in Flatonia, just to see how idiotic we can be. My last leg was definitely the hardest I have run so far, but it was the most beautiful run of all the legs. It was along the Buffalo Bayou, on a paved trail, with the sun just coming out and fog on the ground. very pleasant if I was not running it as hard as I could. The finish was kind of a let down as no alcohol was permitted within the state park A sandwich never tastes better than when you have been running and otherwise active for 12-15 hours without food. Don’t trust your instincts at 2:00 AM. We ended up at the wrong exchange I was supposed to run leg 23, which runs between exchanges 22 and 23, and we ended up waiting for the team to show up at exchange 23. Thankfully Len bailed us out by running 2 legs, after having just run a hard 6+ miles only 2 hours earlier. We had one other team runner show up at an exchange only to find no one from her team there, and she had no way of communicating with them. Don't know if she ever met up with them again. Relays are the closest running gets to a team sport after high school (I never ran in school, so I wouldn’t really know) Sleep is overrated, I stole that from Ira Random thoughts about our team Derek and Len take their time to warm up to you, but are friendly guys. Don’t mess with Len. Ira’s resume is very impressive at 7 Ironmans and counting at age 61, having started running in his 50s Jeff is the nicest person you can meet. Always encouraging and helpful. If you don’t know what he can do, you’ll never hear it from his own mouth. Todd is a very nice guy who puts his foot in his mouth too much online Wynne and his wife Stacy are very gracious. Offered to let me shower at their house (which I shamelessly accepted at the first suggestion as I did not want to subject a planeful of people to my scent after running 4 legs, not brushed in over 30 hours), she even packed some food for the plane ride. I was impressed in that we did not drink much beer through the entire 3 days. The finish was at the San Jacinto monument, which is a state park and no alcohol is allowed in the park. Anda is one fast runner and brave enough to be the only woman runner on our team. As you can see from my report a relay is more about people and logistics than actual running, although everyone ran their heart out and ran enough, Ultimately its an experience that's more than about splits and PR's and other things we obsess about. That said here is the bottom line. Unofficial as the results are not known yet Our finish time was about 25:30 which works out to about 7:30/mile pace, ranging from 5:10/mile for Jeff on one of his leg to 9:30/mile for my last leg The race was won by a team which finished in 22:20Tight lippedx. I believe this team had the winner of the Houston marathon, and another runner who won some other marathon, and other assorted 'ringers' I posted my pics in another thread, but in case anyone is interested here is the link again. http://tinyurl.com/RA-TIR-2009. I don't know how to post them here directly
    Len

Damn Yankee

Very eloquent report Shashi. Excellent job. I'll step in and give my impression of Shashi- He's a quiet unassuming guy, who doesn't appreciate the beauty of pointless vehicle mounted strobes while he is running. He forgets to eat sometimes, and gets anxious before he runs. He is also an incredibly sensible guy, a quality I appreciate. He also underestimates his running ability and potential. To my knowledge the only person who was reprimanded during the entire event was our fearless leader Tim, who was unceremoniously tossed from a Shell station at about 4:30 am for his lack of a shirt. The clerk actually went, "No shirt, no shoes, no service" on him. Tim did a good job with all of the endless paperwork and recordkeeping, and for that we are all very grateful. Modified to clarify- I did run two legs close together, but the second was 4.14 as opposed to the 6.5 or so I was scheduled to run and had a long break before my fourth leg. Ira had to run my longer leg, so he really got the short end of that stick.

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. Carl Bard

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

A relay with no beer?! ShockedNo Excellent report, Shashi and wonderful pics, too! What a great team you guys fielded. I'm heading up a 6 person trail relay team in June (4 RA members--me, backroadrunner, Heather73, PoQ--and a couple of local friends) and your report has me even more pumped! I've haven't done any relays since HS track and that's an entirely different animal, so this will be a really fantastic experience. How were the legs divided up? 25+ hours...wow--that is one LONG-assed day for all of you. Our entire distance will be 80-90 miles, I believe, so not nearly as lengthy a day or as many miles run by any of us--but there will be LOTS of beer at the end of our event. Wink

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

a great report HMH! it was just a blast. 19:22 man, the speed is coming so fast. I don't even know how to summarize the race. I think "Don't Mess With Len" might just do it. Smile I was reading this and waiting for your total "victim" tally. Just sick and humbling and a true pleasure to run with you.
          And you know sometimes it gets so painful Just like talking to yourself When everything don't seem to have no rhyme or reason We all go Do do loo do do, do do loo do do Waiting for the sun to shine

Non ducor, duco.

Great report Shashi! It was so much fun to meet you and run with you. The best part of the relay was how hard everyone ran when the only glory to be had was that which you created! You ran some fabulous legs. I loved seeing Tim (modal) run like a madman in the last bit of the captain's leg. I am so sad that I missed the ejection from the convenience store. Wink Len busted out a run that had Derek and Jeff scratching their heads doing the math. He was INSANELY fast and I predict that he has much more in him. That was one nice stride out there. Len, your trips to the Suburban to fill us in on news from the van were the highlight of that long, long night. Derek and Jeff may be fast dudes, but you made them giggle like a bunch of women. Ira worked hard at keeping us organized and like a true military leader was unafraid to kick our collective asses when the need arose. Thank God, someone knew what was happening. Wynne sweated more than the rest of us combined. He ran hard. I was glad that he was along despite the fact that he ate all the potato chips and trashed the car with his stinking clothes. the Todd (aroundthehorn) also busted out some nice runs. I know he has some fast running in his future if he's up for the training. Scovill made this thing possible. He is/was amazing. He destroyed all of our excuses. His enthusiasm is addictive. After every leg he was there telling you that you were fantastic. What a great guy. Seriously. Obsessor ran his legs like there was Olympic gold at stake. At one exchange, a portly gentlemen decided to stand in the exchange area and help a runner remove her reflective vest. Derek came plowing into the exchange and I swear he almost mowed the guy over. Moving in front of him is like moving in front of a speeding train. His intensity is beautiful. Thank you all for coming. It was such a pleasure to meet and run with you all.
            Len

Damn Yankee

the Todd (aroundthehorn) also busted out some nice runs. I know he has some fast running in his future if he's up for the training.
              She's right. 100%. Todd, you have potential but I think we all wondered if you have the desire to do the training it's going to require. Not that I'm really a good person to be questioning anyone's dedication.
              Scovill made this thing possible. He is/was amazing. He destroyed all of our excuses. His enthusiasm is addictive. After every leg he was there telling you that you were fantastic. What a great guy. Seriously.
              My longish night leg was into a pretty tough wind, it was ugly. But you realize it's not just yourself you might be quitting on it's your team. Especially the dude with a broken foot and big smile.
              Obsessor ran his legs like there was Olympic gold at stake. At one exchange, a portly gentlemen decided to stand in the exchange area and help a runner remove her reflective vest. Derek came plowing into the exchange and I swear he almost mowed the guy over. Moving in front of him is like moving in front of a speeding train. His intensity is beautiful.
              Derek didn't almost mow the guy down, he ran through him. The portly gentleman got out of there as quickly as his chubby legs would carry him, knowing he was fortunate to have not suffered a shattered pelvis in the collision.

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. Carl Bard

AroundTheHorn

Wow, I'm surprised people are questioning my dedication. I know it's nothing compared to the amazing Scovill but I did run when I probably shouldn't have (my knee is pretty fked up right now). My only reason for seeing this thing out was to not let my team down. My turn.... Shashi (HMhopeful) - Your consistency is awesome. I bet you count every cheerio that goes into your bowl. I have no doubt you will be running in the sevens next year........just try to relax a little bit. Tim (Modal) - Thanks for putting up with all of us whacko's. It's not easy to organize something like this and although there might have been a little complaining, everyone was grateful that you did. Also, you have some major cahones (spelling?) for running this thing two times. Len (Len) - It was hard to get a read on you as you kept to yourself most of the time. I feel you wanted to be a part of the fast bus more than the slow bus but I don't blame you (nice to know how the speedsters think). You probably have the most potential as a runner in the group. Oh yeah, the Giants are going down this year....... Ira (Iraman) - Ah yes, the old wise one. While you tend to be a little bit stubborn in your ways, I feel respect is something you earn. Nine Ironman's and countless triathlons? Much respect my friend. Oh yeah, he also volunteered to run the third longest leg on the course when we had mishap at the ripe ol age of 61. Did I say respect? Wynee (Poor Bear? how the hell did you end up with that name LOL) - you're all heart my man. You give 110% every run. You could teach me a thing or two. We should hang out sometime since we're both in Houston. Andreia (Andahuff) - No woman can match her intensity when it comes to racing. She's matches her online persona 100% as a runner. As for real life, she calms down a bit and doesn't mind being a social butterfly. Jeff (JScovill, hell, even I can spell your name right...lol) - You are not of this world my friend. Words cannot describe you. You exceeded everyone's expectation and then some. It's quite refreshing to see someone so talented be so humble. Derek (Obsessor) - One of the fiercest competitors I have ever met. When you get a goal in mind there is no stopping you. You have ice water in your veins and that that last leg you ran made everyone shake there head. Very impressive. Your social skills could use some work (whether your comment was joking or not, I bit my tongue for the good of the team. You're better than that my friend) but I feel that's probably what contributes to being as fast as you are. Oh well. Some random notes. I thought it was pretty shitty for some of the people to not show up when other teammates were finishing a leg. Whether you liked someone more or not, we did this as a team. I didn't make it to Andreia's 4th leg because I was trying to catch 10 minutes of sleep. Sorry about that. Also, since the legs were split up the way they were, we had 2 groups split into 2 vans. While it was a good idea at the time, I think this somewhat created a natural divide between said groups which further inhibited those people from people getting to know one another. With that said, the positives far outweigh the negatives. It's hard to believe people from all different sorts of backgrounds who barely knew one another came together to accomplish a feat few would ever dream of (hell, what am I saying, why would anyone want to do it in the first place? Big grin) If I had to do it all over again with this group, I would do it in a heartbeat. It was a pleasure to meet you all and I'm a better man for it. Hopefully next year if we're crazy enough to sign up for it again, we can get the overall pace down into the 6's........Wink
                Roads, where we're going we don't need any....roads.
                Len

Damn Yankee

Wow, I'm surprised people are questioning my dedication. I know it's nothing compared to the amazing Scovill but I did run when I probably shouldn't have (my knee is pretty fked up right now). My only reason for seeing this thing out was to not let my team down.
                  Not dedication this weekend, because you ran your ass off. No doubt about that, you showed alot of heart and we would have been in trouble if you or Jeff couldn't have ran your legs. I think it was more wondering if you would be running long term. You can be fast, and you know that it's just going to take the miles to get there.

Len

Damn Yankee

The results are posted- Click

18 out of 151 Time: 25:33:43 Pace: 7:33.7 Miles: 203 Not that bad considering my average ~9:20 pace ==> Man, I was a nice anchor. Big grin Len what was this brawl you witnessed all about. Cool I guess runners sometimes get heated at these events. Someday, I'll post up a report. more pictures

Vim

You'll ruin your knees!

Congratulations to the RunningAhead.com team! It is impressive that you guys came together and worked as a team...not a bad finish at all! Congrats to Tim for pulling it off... Needless to say, it will be a life-long memory for each of you. Did any of you happen to see/come across the solo runner (a friend of mine)? I have battled him in more than a couple races, he's a great guy and a talented ultra-distance runner. I was quite happy to see that he finished. Rest well folks! Lynn B MTA: so, the convenience store clerk felt that shirtless Tim was an offense to the clientele... am I to presume that the clerk did NOT throw Anda out for being shirtless?

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

a fantastic effort TIm! great, great results. Just so there is no worrying, I did go to the doctor this morning. After a bit of "discussion" and deliberation, they put a cast on my foot. I'm convinced that the cast was applied 'cause they didn't trust me. wankers.
                          And you know sometimes it gets so painful Just like talking to yourself When everything don't seem to have no rhyme or reason We all go Do do loo do do, do do loo do do Waiting for the sun to shine

Oh Mighty Wing

a fantastic effort TIm! great, great results. Just so there is no worrying, I did go to the doctor this morning. After a bit of "discussion" and deliberation, they put a cast on my foot. I'm convinced that the cast was applied 'cause they didn't trust me. wankers.
                            Ridiculous you are totally trust worthy!! OH AND GREAT JOB TO YOU ALL!!!!!!
                            AroundTheHorn

Congratulations to the RunningAhead.com team! It is impressive that you guys came together and worked as a team...not a bad finish at all! Congrats to Tim for pulling it off... Needless to say, it will be a life-long memory for each of you. Did any of you happen to see/come across the solo runner (a friend of mine)? I have battled him in more than a couple races, he's a great guy and a talented ultra-distance runner. I was quite happy to see that he finished. Rest well folks! Lynn B MTA: so, the convenience store clerk felt that shirtless Tim was an offense to the clientele... am I to presume that the clerk did NOT throw Anda out for being shirtless?
                              About your friend, we saw him on our last leg and all of us thought, man, that guy is slow. Little did we know, he ran the whole damn thing! We watched him come up the final stretch to receive his medal. Unbelievable if you ask me.
                              AroundTheHorn

Cast or no cast, I bet you still get out there and run. I bet amputation wouldn't even stop you.