If you do a warm up walk before you start running, (Read 926 times)

Baby bean!

how long is it in terms of minutes?

Goals:
    Finish C25K

I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, but I run.

Go Pre!

3, then first 12 minutes of running is very slow and easy making for a 15 minute warm up. Cool down is similar.
      TJoseph

I just start running slowly until I feel looser. It usually takes a mile or less. It is part of my run and I don't count it seperately. The only time a do a seperate warmup is before a race.

In college, I walked a minimum quarter mile before/after every run. Nowadays, I still do sometimes, but instead I often just run really easy for the first mile or 3 after a 20 second walk or so at the start. I still walk at the end of every run for a few minutes.

Run to Win
          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

I just start slowly. I'm usually ready to go in 1 to 1.5 miles (roughly 12 to 15 minutes). I do warm down though. Walk for about 1/4 mile, then a slow run 1/2 mile or so and then walk again.
            CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I walk about 5 minutes before my runs because I don't start my run from my front door. It's maybe 1/4 mile or a bit more to the bike path from my house; I don't always start at the same spot so my walk can be a couple of minutes different on any given run.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

I usually walk about 1/4 mile to start and then start running EXTRA slow until I get warmed up....after that I pick up the pace to something more normal..........ASLO,, I try to walk about 1/4 after I am finished to cool down........the best days are on Wed when I run on the track and can measure my distances accurately on the other days, I just estimate....

Champions are made when no one is watching

Double IPA Please!

I used to, but I don't really anymore- I just try and run my first couple miles slower than my intended pace.

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Shipping is always free with me!! :-)

The young Mama Bear!

5-minute warm up walk, or just stretching. Whichever.
                    Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
                    Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
                    monikam

I don't walk before my runs, I just run slower than my normal pace for the first mile or so... After every run I walk at least quarter mile, most of the time half a mile.. And I always, always stretch after every run too..
                      Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon - Sep 28

Half Fanatic #846

I warm up by walking progressively faster for about 7-8 minutes, then easing into a jog or slow run for about 7-8 minutes - a minumum of 15 minutes total. And I don't count warm up/cool down as part of my run. Cool downs are the same - just in reverse. Bill Smile

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

.. And I always, always stretch after every run too..
                          I want to be like you when I grow up Cool

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

I take 2-3 minutes of fast walking followed by a mile or so of easy running to warm up. Two to three minutes of easy walking serves as a cool down period at the end of my runs. I've been doing this for years in lieu of stretching and it has served me very well. Tom

Member Since 2008

five to ten minute walking warm-up and same for cool down.
                              veganmom

i walk 5 minutes before running. mostly because the first 5 minutes is a major hill.