Eat yak. With fried snails. And porcupine. (Read 648 times)

shonan marathon, girl

What a great article! I had the fortunate opportunity to grow up in Japan eating snacks like pickled plums, preserved kelp, squid and fish jerky. I would eat and try new foods without the slightest hesitation. I love Chinese food and think their food is healthy and has medicinal properties. Kids in Japan today have become McDonald-ized and drink sodas, eat potato chips, chocolate and other western snack foods these days. The eating habits of your parents and your food environment make the biggest difference in daily nutrition.

next race SHONAN MARATHON nov 3rd, 2012, OSAKA MARATHON nov 25th, i am aiming for nyc!

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

That is a great read. I think sometimes people expect kids to be picky and don't give them a chance to try some of the stranger culinary choices out there.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Lisa3.1

What a great article! I had the fortunate opportunity to grow up in Japan eating snacks like pickled plums, preserved kelp, squid and fish jerky. I would eat and try new foods without the slightest hesitation. I love Chinese food and think their food is healthy and has medicinal properties. Kids in Japan today have become McDonald-ized and drink sodas, eat potato chips, chocolate and other western snack foods these days. The eating habits of your parents and your food environment make the biggest difference in daily nutrition.
        I agree with that. I, too, have been in Southeast asia, and other countries, for a few years which is why I am not squirmy to try other things.
          ...but not too much. Clowning around

E.J.
          Greater Lowell Road Runners
          Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

That is a great read. It is a battle sometimes between my wife and I when feeding our kids. I will put anything in front of them without making a big deal out of it. And very often, they'll eat it. My wife is picky and she very often projects her food biases on to the kids. She is shocked sometimes at what they'll eat given the chance.

Thanks Trent for the article. I was starting to think I should give in to my 3 year old and start making food he'll actually eat. But I had resolved long ago that I would fix one meal for the family and you eat it or you don't. So he's always had veggies in front of him and had ate them until recently when he's become a bit more picky and says yuck to veggies. But I'm glad to be reminded that I don't have to give in to the dinners of mac and cheese and sandwiches. I do leave his dinner on the table when he doesn't eat it, so that when he does get hungry later, it's still there, and I caught him the other night running by and grabing a few green beans and stuffing them in his mouth. hehe.