Why a 20 minute 5k ? (Read 2249 times)

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

Out of complete ignorance, I asked myself this question the other day. It was my 5k goal when I started road racing many years ago but I can't recall the reasoning behind it... OK, it's a nice number and equates to a pace of 4 mins per kilometer but here in the US road races have mile markers and the kilometer is something that other people use. Just think of the confusion if there were kilometer rather than mile markers in your local 5k... I came to the conclusion that someone told me it was a decent time after Google failed to find a suitable answer. Same deal for a 40 minute 10k and a 6 minute mile. Anyone have a half decent answer?

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

mikeymike

It's a nice round number.

Runners run

Len

Damn Yankee

It's a nice round number.
        And it takes a fair amount of work in order for most people to break that barrier.

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. Carl Bard

Lane

It sounds better to say that "I broke 20 (19, 18, etc)" than "I broke 21:45 (18:36, whatever)".

Junior Amphibian

Don't the US Marines expect the new recruits to run 5k under 20 minutes?

"People ask why I run. I say, 'If you have to ask, you will never understand'. It is something only those select few know. Those who put themselves through pain, but know, deep down, how good it really feels." - Erin Leonard

I have not done it since high school.
                Because........It is there

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Anyone have a half decent answer?
                  A "half" answer is that age 40 I could do a 5K under 20 (i.e. half of my age.) A "full" answer is that back then I could do a 10K under my age, too. [both the age/2 for 5K and age for 10K get easier as you get older Smile ]

Maniac

There is no way...They'd have very few recruits... I have absolutely no evidence to suggest that you are incorrect...That just seems like a really fast requirement for the USMC...

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Run 3 marathons (modified:  Run 2 marathons--Lost Dutchman 02/2015 and Whiskey Row 05/2015)

Run a 50-miler (Ran a 53.8 mile race 11/14/2015)

Run 1,500 miles (uhhh...how about 1,400?)

Stay healthy

The Marine Corps PFT includes a three mile run. For running that in 18:00 minutes, a male Marine will receive the maximum no. of points, 100. I don't recall what the slowest permitted time is. The Marine Corps expects you to run faster than you do irrespective of your current time, e.g., if you are on pace for a 19 minute PFT, your DI or sergeant instructor will be wearing you out for not running 18:30, etc.

Maniac

The Marine Corps PFT includes a three mile run. For running that in 18:00 minutes, a male Marine will receive the maximum no. of points, 100. I don't recall what the slowest permitted time is. The Marine Corps expects you to run faster than you do irrespective of your current time, e.g., if you are on pace for a 19 minute PFT, your DI or sergeant instructor will be wearing you out for not running 18:30, etc.
                        In order to pass the semi-annual fitness test, Marines must perform the minimum acceptable performance requirements shown in the chart below. Additionally, they must have enough overall points to meet the 3rd class fitness requirements (see below). Minimum Fitness Requirments for Each PFT Event - Males Age Pull-Ups Crunches 3-Mile Run 17-26 3 50 28:00 27-39 3 45 29:00 40-45 3 45 30:00 46+ 3 40 33:00 http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marines/l/blfitmale.htm MTA: Link

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Run 3 marathons (modified:  Run 2 marathons--Lost Dutchman 02/2015 and Whiskey Row 05/2015)

Run a 50-miler (Ran a 53.8 mile race 11/14/2015)

Run 1,500 miles (uhhh...how about 1,400?)

Stay healthy

To give a Canadian perspective, if I ran a race and it was marked in miles I'd be really taken aback. Imagine trying to figure out a pace for 6.25 miles-no thanks! This fall I am trying to run 1:45 for a half marathon, even though its an odd distance all I have to do is run 5 minute klicks (Kilometers), and somewhere along the way save up 100 metres. Even I can keep track of that. As for the 20 minute question, I suppose its a challenging goal, and a nice round number. Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.